sam82

Re: Will SSD be supported

Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:49 am

just wanted to know if SSD's will be compatible ...... if am able to load the bootloader and all files and soft ware to an SSD?? or if it work any way other way ??

Thanks

b6560248

Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:42 am

SSD will be compatible, but this doesn't depend by RaspberryPi.

On Rasp there is not bootloader: GPU loads kernel file from SD

sam82

Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:59 am

what does it depends on SSD suppliers?.....k thanks

BjarkeHedegaard

Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:38 am

You will not be able to boot from the SSD, but you will be able to access files stored on an SSD through the usb. The transfer speeds will be greatly reduced by the bandwith limitations in the usb though.

ElectronikHeart

Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:39 am

I don't think you can boot from an SSD. The only way I have in mind to do that is by using a SD card for the kernel (/boot) and then point to the root file system on a USB attached SSD.

Every kind of storage attached via usb use the USB Mass Storage protocol, which is universal. So is you want an SSD buy an USB case for it and that will work.

mobeyduck

Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:26 am

if you just would've had taken a look in the faq you would see this:

"How does it boot?

You have to boot from SD but a USB HD can “take over” after the initial boot. You cannot boot without an SD card."

yes you can use a ssd, but that would be via usb 2.0 so a theoretical max of 480 Mbit/s (60 MB/s) that wouldn't be optimal.

ElectronikHeart

Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:59 am

The crucial advantage of a SSD is not maximum speed, it's latencies. But USB 2 is not known for its good latencies.

The only advantage of SSDs for the raspberry is silence and power consumption.

sam82

Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:31 am

ElectronikHeart,

you hit it on the head .....thats what am looking for power consumption ....which means lower temps also 

Hairlocks

Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:21 pm

Sammy,

How much space do you need, why don't you just buy a bigger sd card. Even lower temps and power comsumption as you still need one anyway.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:22 pm

Hairlocks said:

Sammy,

How much space do you need, why don't you just buy a bigger sd card. Even lower temps and power comsumption as you still need one anyway.

SD cards SUCK when it comes to random write performance. You can run your OS off them but it makes upgrading packages etc pretty painful. I know I run a beagleboard XM and I get FAR better performance with a USB laptop hard drive than I get with a class 6 SD card.

It would be nice to see a review of storage options for the Pi and similar devices comparing both sequential and random performance.  but in the absense of such a review I suspect a high end USB stick is the best compromise between cost/power consumption/performance.

abishur

Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:17 pm

As others have said, you will need to have the SD card there for the boot process (it's hard coded into the ARM and cannot be changed).  That said, there is some decent amount of hope that we'll be able to put a bootloader onto the SD card that will in turn be able to boot off a USB attached hard drive.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

grumpyoldgit

Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:30 pm

I know this comes from the School of the Bleeding Obvious but surely one of the  selling points of the Pi is the low cost. An inexpensive SD card will get you up and running. If you are then going to spend an arm and a leg on expensive SSDs this just whacks the price up.

The Pi will be on your home network and I am assuming that most people are going to have at least one other PC knocking around. Surely giving the Pi access to a shared drive on an existing PC or to a NAS is the way to go if storage space is required.

I might pop in a small memory stick for the hell of it but that will be it.

What applications are people expecting to use where masses of storage space is required?

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:56 pm

Abishur said:

As others have said, you will need to have the SD card there for the boot process (it's hard coded into the ARM and cannot be changed).  That said, there is some decent amount of hope that we'll be able to put a bootloader onto the SD card that will in turn be able to boot off a USB attached hard drive.

It should be pretty trivial to have the kernel/initrd loaded off the SD card but have the rootfs on a USB drive. The main downside of this approach is if you install an unbootable kernel you will have to pull the SD card to recover.

Another option is to use linux as a bootloader, that is have a tiny linux system on the SD card that uses kexec to load a kernel off other media.

sam82

Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:36 am

thank you all for your comments .....I need to load tons and tons of files for my project and want to be able to store files also ...was thinking of running similar OS on the SSD and swap between PC and Rasp Pi ...now remember every one the PI is an experimental thing for me I have other products to fall back on just want to know if I can do what I want to do with the PI (because of its small size and low power consumption)

mobeyduck

Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:14 am

Grumpyoldgit said:

What applications are people expecting to use where masses of storage space is required?

I expect there will be more then enough people who want to use it as a downloading system.

Mine will probably get a similar job after I'm done with screwing up distro's

grumpyoldgit

Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:32 am

Speed is not going to be an issue with torrents so I am back to my initial suggestion that SSD is a rather expensive storage option where existing drives could be shared. Even if an existing drive is not available, £60 will just about get you a 500GB external drive nowadays.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:58 am

I was just about to reply that that seems a bit steep for 500GB, but prices have certainly climbed since the Thai floods!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

grumpyoldgit

Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:03 pm

I was just doing a quick check on Ebuyer.com. I tend to get my stuff from there as the price/quality/delivery times are always good.

MrAda

Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:16 am

One thing I have noticed, and it concerns me for how I want to use the Pi, is that the boot up time is very slow. I hear SSDs are zippy fast and I was curious how one would go about doing this. If the SD is needed then it can be basically a boot loader and jump off into the SSD to boot up. Seems plausible but definitely not out of the box solution.

Nr90

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:04 am

As you can see this thread is quite old.
That said, most info in here is still valid.
USB will be the limiting factor in the read/write speed. It is really easy to set the root file system to a usb flash drive / usb hard drive.
I've used a USB HDD (regular spinning one) for a while, it has been more stable and faster then a class 10 SD card.
I tend to agree that an SSD is a bit of a waste. A regular USB HDD will probably do fine.
There's quite a few guides on how to set this up, continue searching on here :)

MrAda

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:27 am

Quite a lot to read through. I am more concerned with getting the boot up time faster.

Nr90

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:32 am

This will also depend on the SD card you're comparing it to.
I noticed a larger speed difference in things like
apt-get update
Then with booting, but that was coming from a rather fast SD card.

I would advice you to try booting from a cheap USB HDD to see if it improves enough.
If it is a (large) step in the right direction, you could always go the more expensive SSD route.

MrAda

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:37 am

My project is targeted for a car so a regular USB drive with a spinning disk might not be a good idea for longevity. But on a test bed that is a great suggestion as I have a USB device laying around I can use.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:41 pm

MrAda wrote:Quite a lot to read through. I am more concerned with getting the boot up time faster.
Have you tried Arch? It's a lot quicker to boot than raspbian.

Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

RaTTuS

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:44 pm

have have 1 RPi with a 650GB HD - that has the root fs on it and it is fine
i also have a 64GB SSD version [rootfs on the SD card] no issues
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Return to “General discussion”