LemmeFatale

Awesome Lemmings statues put up in Dundee

Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:04 pm

A group of statues commemorating the classic computer game, Lemmings, have been put up in Dundee, opposite the building where the original game was made.

I do think that it's nice to see something like this, since it's one of the few public displays I can think of that recognise achievements from the UK in the computing (and, in this case, gaming) field, which is something that seems to frequently, and annoyingly, get glossed over in favour of revisionist history and ignorance.

(Image borrowed from The Courier's gallery.)

Also, they're just plain cute. They should be mandatory in every town and city in the country. :P
Classic - Raspberry Pi Model B (512MB) with Motorola Atrix Lapdock
Lemcon-One - Raspberry Pi Model B (256MB) PiMAME TV-Box

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Awesome Lemmings statues put up in Dundee

Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:26 pm

Most excellent!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Ravenous

Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:35 pm

:o

"OH, NO!!!"

:lol:

AndyD

Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:14 am

Let's go ... oh Dundee is a little far away.
Great now I have the music playing in my head.

Ravenous

Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:48 pm

AndyD wrote:Great now I have the music playing in my head.
Me too. Those little tunes that played and played and played until I ran out of time and had to restart. Again.

The horror! :D

It is possible to buy soft toy lemmings anywhere? :oops:

RaTTuS

Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:03 pm

How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

jamesh

Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:07 pm

Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Mortimer

Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:14 pm

Blimey!! That works on an iPhone! Awesome!
--------------
The purpose of a little toe is to ensure you keep your furniture in the right place.

Ravenous

Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:24 pm

Oh, boy. I knew about the online game version, but Lemmingsforums is a new one on me!

Feels like the early 90s all over again. :ugeek:

LemmeFatale

Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:08 am

Funny thing is, those are mine (though I suppose that's obvious from my avatar both there and here being from the same comic book!). :) What a trip to see that you found them! (One of the ones on page two of that thread is named Arthur, after the OS that became RISC OS, and that was actually partly because of the Raspberry Pi, funnily enough.)

They never did sell official Lemmings plushes, sadly, though they did prototype them in the early 1990s (and the chap in this link owns one).

RaTTuS

Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:15 am

LemmeFatale wrote:
Funny thing is, those are mine (though I suppose that's obvious from my avatar both there and here being from the same comic book!). :) What a trip to see that you found them!

They never did sell official Lemmings plushes, sadly, though they did prototype them in the early 1990s (and the chap in this link owns one).
The Power of google
Mike Dailly retweeted my tweet about the original story
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

LemmeFatale

Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:18 am

RaTTuS wrote:The Power of google
Haha, yeah. I'm pretty sure they're the top result for "Lemmings plush" now. :lol:
Mike Dailly retweeted my tweet about the original story
Sweet!

EDIT: You know, I really should try to see if I can compile Lix (a Lemmings tribute-game with multi-player and plenty of levels available) on the Raspberry Pi at some point, once I've gotten the replacement cables for my Lapdock setup... It's not a difficult compile anyway, so I hope it'd be easy enough on the RPi.

Ravenous

Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:24 am

Do they come with parachutes as standard? :lol:

EDIT: after reading this thread yesterday I also discovered & downloaded Lix and had a quick play last night (on Windows). Big Fun, but it just wasn't Lemmings. Just like after I'd tried Pingu, I felt a bit guilty afterwards - like I'd been unfaithful... :oops:

LemmeFatale

Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:51 am

Ravenous wrote:Do they come with parachutes as standard? :lol:
No, but they do approve of the Raspberry Pi;

;)
EDIT: after reading this thread yesterday I also discovered & downloaded Lix and had a quick play last night (on Windows). Big Fun, but it just wasn't Lemmings. Just like after I'd tried Pingu, I felt a bit guilty afterwards - like I'd been unfaithful... :oops:
It's still a work-in-progress, to be fair. I do recall there being support for importing the MS-DOS Lemmings graphics, but I can't seem to find the info about that, now, annoyingly...

You may also like to check out the Java-based Lemmini, on that note, which has the original levels, as well as an insane amount of user-created ones (check YouTube for Lemmini levels to get a taste of that). It does require the assets from Lemmings for Windows 95, though, although that's cheap enough to pick up. I'm not sure how well it would run on the Raspberry Pi, though - I've not used Raspbian in a while (I've been wanting to learn more of RISC OS), so I don't know how things stand with regard to Java.

EDIT: It's also well worth noting, while we're here, that the Acorn Archimedes versions of Lemmings, Oh No! More Lemmings, and Lemmings 2: The Tribes (sadly, the Arc never got a port of All New World of Lemmings/The Lemmings Chronicles, which is Lemmings 3...) are among the games allowed for release by the Archimedes Software Preservation Project, and will be made natively compatible with RISC OS on the Raspberry Pi. :) This brings us neatly back to the hardware that is the subject of the forum, even if not to the Lemmings statues in Dundee. :lol:

Return to “Off topic discussion”