ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: New post on the front page: a date that'll interest you, and a datasheet that will too.

Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:12 pm

ArborealSeer said:

1) do you have a 10,000 jiffy bags?

No. for some reason they are really hard to source in the UK. They've had to put out feelers for a manufacturer in the far east but the ones available there are smaller and stronger and not really interchangable with the ones they'd spec'd.

/me ducks

mgmt_idiot

Re: New post on the front page: a date that'll interest you, and a datasheet that will too.

Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:17 pm

ArborealSeer said:

3) enough helper elves to meet postal demand?

I'm sure I remember Liz saying in another thread in response to volunteer elves that there were enough elves already.

ArborealSeer

Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:36 pm

haha.. not volunteeting. .I have memories of packing a large order of hardware devices here (mac adb port ones I believe) I was drafted in with other staff to help - took almost a week and i'm sure it was less than 10k!  However we did have to put them in the snap plastic boxes, glue them and add stickers.. That was 5 people.. 1 running the pick n place and 2 could do reworking & reflowing, then everyone running them through a code+test rig - then putting in plastic boxes stickering them and packing.

At least RPI doesn't have boxes yet!

Maybe they've been super clever and had them shipped from china ready for labels to be wack straight on!
Pi Status > Farnell, Arrived 24/5- RS, Arrived 1/6

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:39 pm

n3tw0rk5 said:

Just tell them politely to jog on, If the neighsayers can work smarter n harder they would have allready come up with the concept and brought the end product to the masses.

Since they have not then....

Big glass of wine tonight is in order, or maybe a bottle and leave the keyboard intact

I'm afraid that rather than politely telling them to jog on, what I actually do is to dump them in my trash folder. I know it's impolite, but the number of legitimate mails I'm getting every day is hard enough to reply to as it is, so I have made a decision not to respond to the more idiotic ones.

I don't reply to the ones asking questions which are answered in the FAQ, either. (I have had four "how much will it cost?" ones today already, and about eight "will I be able to buy it in <name of country>" mails too.) I suppose I *could* set up an auto response saying READ THE BLOODY FAQ...
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Eremius

Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:54 pm

liz said:

I'm afraid that rather than politely telling them to jog on, what I actually do is to dump them in my trash folder. I know it's impolite, but the number of legitimate mails I'm getting every day is hard enough to reply to as it is, so I have made a decision not to respond to the more idiotic ones.
I don't reply to the ones asking questions which are answered in the FAQ, either. (I have had four "how much will it cost?" ones today already, and about eight "will I be able to buy it in <name of country>" mails too.) I suppose I *could* set up an auto response saying READ THE BLOODY FAQ...

How much will it cost, btw?

KIDDING!

I am sure anyone who has ever headed a project understands unavoidable delays.  I do appreciate the work your team is doing and can't wait to get my hands on one.  If it's the first batch, great!  If not, I'll have some time to practice up on my patience.

n3tw0rk5

Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:27 pm

liz said:

The joys of being the first point of contact, dont worry most of us know you are snowed under the fact that you actually manage to post on the forum is quite an achievement.

I'm just going to wait till a few weeks after the RasPi's are in the wild and then give you a gentle prod for a reply

There's plenty more important things to be done first.

Burngate

Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:34 pm

Concorde: how late, and how much over-budget?

Channel tunnel: how late, and how much over-budget?

Raspberry Pi: on budget, and not late.

And the datasheet as well. You didn't get that with the Chunnel.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:39 pm

liz said:

n3tw0rk5 said:

Just tell them politely to jog on, If the neighsayers can work smarter n harder they would have allready come up with the concept and brought the end product to the masses.

Since they have not then....

Big glass of wine tonight is in order, or maybe a bottle and leave the keyboard intact

There used to be a time when I would, on moderating new comments, answer all those questions (when, where, how much). NOT NOW. Life is considerably too short.

Big glass of fizzy wine tonight for me - cooking a slap up meal for the other half's birthday.  Wish me luck!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“My wife said to me `...you’re not even listening`.
I thought, that’s an odd way to start a conversation.."

n3tw0rk5

Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:52 pm

JamesH said:

Big glass of fizzy wine tonight for me - cooking a slap up meal for the other half's birthday.  Wish me luck!

Good luck, I'm sure your better half will be impressed

TheEponymousBob

Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:13 pm

Burngate said:

These are very good points.  I don't suppose the foundation want to come up to Edinburgh and sort out our trams for us?

Meanwhile, can anyone explain to me why I still read /. comments pages?  Isn't the human brain supposed to be a learning engine?

Lob0426

Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:13 pm

JamesH: you will do fine. Been acting as a house husband, for years, since my wife went back to work. Now a full time house husband, for the last month, since retiring. Cooking is not that hard to do. Go light on the wine until dinner is finished! Are you going to do the dishes when your done?

Burngate: RasPi not late? Hmmmm. Seems some of the early "predictions" started about late October. Sorry but you may or may not be in error. The Datasheet is good news and will be very useful to many. Thank you Broadcom.

Looking forward to any release date and still disgruntled that I have like a 1 in 9 or so chance at the first batch. Probably be able to get one on EBay though.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

scep

Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:07 pm

JamesH said:

You know that's not good enough on these forums James  - what are you actually making?

Jessie

Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:42 pm

Lob0426 said:

Burngate: RasPi not late? Hmmmm. Seems some of the early "predictions" started about late October. Sorry but you may or may not be in error. The Datasheet is good news and will be very useful to many. Thank you Broadcom.

Since there was never a quoted hard release date until now, no it isn't late.  If Feb 20th comes and goes then people can say it is late.

davidgoodenough

Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:58 pm

Jessie said:

Lob0426 said:

Since there was never a quoted hard release date until now, no it isn't late.  If Feb 20th comes and goes then people can say it is late.

Well no, the 20th was the date the manufacturing would be complete, then they need to be (airfreight) shipped to the UK, finessed through customs, tested, and all being well shipped - all of which will take more than 24h (well given the time difference to China its more like 30h) so shipping to customers will happen some time shortly after the 20th.

prodata

Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:03 pm

liz said:

About interpretations of what we say on the front page here:

http://www.reghardware.com/201.....ate_slips/

That's just El Reg though - true to form as usual. Always has been, always will be. More seriously, this is the reality of the commercial business world. It's much less cosy than the hobbyist/educational fraternity. Be prepared!

But if you want slightly more positivity then try:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/.....f-february

russ wall

Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:20 pm

scep said:

JamesH said:

You know that's not good enough on these forums James  - what are you actually making?

This is happening NOW! We demand to be given full recipe ... NOW! (err .. goodluck James)

Class 33 bo-bo Ah the sound!

11 + 2

stewiegriffin

Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:25 pm

I have a question about shipping costs, are they known yet? I searched in the first page, forum, this post and the FAQ but i don't find much information. The FAQ did mentioned that they were being negotiated but since they are more news and dates i thought there might be some information on shipping costs

Gert van Loo

Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:01 pm

Let's see: we just had a number of people ranting about having to answer the same questions over and over and over and over again and gain and again. Then this one pops up:

stewiegriffin said:

I have a question about shipping costs, are they known yet? I searched in the first page, forum, this post and the FAQ but i don't find much information. The FAQ did mentioned that they were being negotiated but since they are more news and dates i thought there might be some information on shipping costs

If this is a joke, it is a very bad one.

Lob0426

Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:07 pm

Jessie: They will be finished at production on the 20th, they will not be on sale the 20th. Hopefully they will go on sale before the end of February. Also I never said that there had been a "hard release" date quoted, I stated that there has been a series of predictions that fell short by a significant amount of time. The first "hope" was for late October.

The real question(s) is when will the next batch be started and how many. The first batch is going to be mighty thin with a 85,000 plus mailing list. And will they be able to get a predictable production schedule established or will each batch be a semi custom order? Once the glitch that slowed this batch up is fixed, will there be predictable turn around. Are they going to have to put through a board redesign before the next batch. It did not sound like it from the original post. It does sound like there will be one in the future. Unfortunately this is life, for every question answered there will always be more questions.

Hopefully the guy who came up with the Logo is going to get one of the first batch at least.

Lynbarn

Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:26 pm

Burngate said:

Talking of the Channel Tunnel, did you know...

... that it was designed to leak (just a little) to relieve external pressure on the tunnel liners?

abishur

Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:34 pm

I'd also  be one of those to count the r-pi as being "late" Not because it missed the October date, but because it missed the Q4.  That said, it doesn't bother me that it's "Late".  The r-pi team has been *extremely* forthright with the whole process and I've always felt that the "lateness" of the project has been entirely justifiable and understandable.  I've always contended that I'd rather have a product come out a couple months after they predicted as opposed to forcing the thing out and be subjected to another Windows Vista or Xbox 360 or iPhone (you're still holding it wrong!).

@stewiegriffin - I'm going to assume you're from America (as am I) based on your user name so you might not get the subtle dry satire that counts as humor for those in the UK Which is to say don't take Gert's response too hard, but no there is no more information to be had on shipping costs and as soon as there is updated information the r-pi foundation will be prompt to let us know, because that's just the way they work
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

liz

Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:08 pm

Lob0426 said:

Hopefully the guy who came up with the Logo is going to get one of the first batch at least.

Better than that: he's getting beta board 0. (He can't have it yet, though, because we're using it.)
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

stewiegriffin

Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:32 pm

Abishur said:

I'd also  be one of those to count the r-pi as being "late" Not because it missed the October date, but because it missed the Q4.  That said, it doesn't bother me that it's "Late".  The r-pi team has been *extremely* forthright with the whole process and I've always felt that the "lateness" of the project has been entirely justifiable and understandable.  I've always contended that I'd rather have a product come out a couple months after they predicted as opposed to forcing the thing out and be subjected to another Windows Vista or Xbox 360 or iPhone (you're still holding it wrong!).

@stewiegriffin - I'm going to assume you're from America (as am I) based on your user name so you might not get the subtle dry satire that counts as humor for those in the UK Which is to say don't take Gert's response too hard, but no there is no more information to be had on shipping costs and as soon as there is updated information the r-pi foundation will be prompt to let us know, because that's just the way they work

Thanks for the answer and help!

I didn't get the reply at first because i think it was a legitimate question because i did search but i thought i missed something and there might be information i wasn't finding since there is already dates.

Again, thanks and i will keep paying attention to the recent Pi news.

TheEponymousBob

Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:40 pm

Abishur said:

@stewiegriffin – I"m going to assume you"re from America (as am I) based on your user name so you might not get the subtle dry satire that counts as humor for those in the UK

Although it"s true that us Rightpondians can be a baffling lot where humour is concerned, please be assured that Family Guy does very well over here too.

Now, whose leg do you have to hump to get a dry martini round here?

Lob0426

Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:23 am

Abishur: I will agree with you that they have been up front all along. You and me have argued the changes against each other.

My craw got stuck on the troll comment. Just like witch hunts, troll hunts usually are caused by a lack of game to hunt. Dealing with trolls is one thing, actively hunting them is another completely. Do not seek trolls where none live!

I have seen real trolling in action, and witch hunts, in real life not just in forums. I remember a somewhat funny if not tragic witch hunt at my place of work. Just after the advent of the states Sexual Harrasment Policy just such a hunt started. It was rumored that a poster with Marylin Monroe with her skirt blown up was in an employees locker. There was no specific information as to whose locker, just that it was there. When the hunt started it followed the rules, ask employees to open their lockers. But as the hunt wore into the third day and the complaintant swore the officials were not trying to find it, it turned ugly. Out came the bolt cutters and employee locks were cut. This was whether the employee was present or not. The lockers were trashed and employee belongings came up missing. And you know what? That poster never was found. Then the cover ups started. This incident caused hard feelings between staff and management for several years. What was worse was that the complaintant was from our own ranks. She swore that the word of the poster had been circulated just to embarrass her. So she tried to sue the state for sexual Harrassment. A witch, or troll hunt by anyone"s standard. I was too new to have the right to a locker at the time. Moving from job to job quarterly. The moral of the story is not to look for trolls or witches unless they really are there.

And yes this is a true story.

Return to “General discussion”