eli

No output through HDMI or RCA

Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:34 am

Hey guys, I'm hoping somebody can help me out with my display problem.

I have a Model B Pi and initially set up a version of OpenELEC using the guide here. Everything was working fine on both of my televisions using the HDMI output and I could control XBMC using my tv remote via the Anytime+ feature.

However, upon moving the Pi from one tv to another after two week's (or so) use, it suddenly stopped working - on the first occasion there was a very distorted image on screen, but after a re-boot, just no output through the HDMI. I assumed that something had gone awry somewhere on the SD card, so I tried re-flashing using both the guide I posted above, and also this guide. But I still cannot get any output to the tv, via either the HDMI nor RCA. The Openelec installation is sound, as I can see the Pi on my network and I can SSH into it using Putty without issue. There appears to be something happening, as when the Pi is connected to the TVs I can select the particular HDMI input from the source list (when nothing is plugged in, the source isn't available to select), but there is just a "No Signal" or "No Signal - check connected device's power, cable connection, and source selection" error depending on which TV I am connecting to.

To check it wasn't just an OpenElec issue I followed the guide in the Downloads section on this website to install via NOOBS, but I still can't get any video output on boot via either method, despite toggling through the display modes using the 1-4 keys.

For the record, the configuration I was using when all was working fine was:

Pi Model B
HTC power supply, 5V, 1000mA
16GB Sandisk MicroSD card in a Sandisk SD adaptor
Generic HDMI leads to connect to two different Samsung tvs, one LED, one Plasma
OpenElec build "OpenELEC-RPi.arm-3.0.6.img"

Since the failure, I've tried:

Generic MiniUSB power supply with a MicroUSB adaptor, 5V, 1000mA
The original two HDMI leads that worked, plus a third that hadn't been used previously
Connecting via RCA (I don't have a specific cable with a yellow plug to both ends, so I've tried both the red and white ends of an audio cable - Google suggests this should be fine and the only difference between the three is the colour of the housing) with both the OpenELEC and NOOBS installs.
I've also tried adding the extra lines to the config.txt file as suggested in the Troubleshooting wiki, also to know avail.

Does anybody have any ideas to try and get a display up and running, or is it more likely to be a hardware failure? If this is the case, am I likely to be able to get a replacement under warranty, seeing as the Pi is less than a month old?

Thanks,

Eli

*Edit to add that having just come across the announcement regarding Hynix memory chips I've flashed the 2013-05-25 version of wheezy to the card and booted up using HDMI and still no picture.

*Edit again - my memory chip is a Samsung, not a Hynex, after all. Still, the issue still stands.

drgeoff

Re: No output through HDMI or RCA

Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:31 am

You do seem to have exhausted most, if not all, of the relevant fault-finding steps to no avail. You do know that to activate the composite output you must power up the RPi with the HDMI disconnected or the correct addition to config.txt? (And yes a stereo audio lead with any colour of phono plugs is good enough for a go/no-go test.)

So looks like you have a hardware failure. Warranty terms often depend on country and vendor. The general level of English in your post, your spelling of "colour"and time of day of your post would suggest that you are in the UK in which case I would expect a warranty of at least one year.

eli

Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:03 am

Thanks for the reply.
You do know that to activate the composite output you must power up the RPi with the HDMI disconnected or the correct addition to config.txt?
Well, I thought that I did, but re-booting now with the HDMI disconnected and it does indeed boot up to XBMC with output through the composite cable. So I guess that points the finger solely at an issue with the HDMI port. Are there any settings anywhere that I can check to see whether HDMI is enabled, or something similar?

eli

Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:50 am

I've tried a few more thing, namely the advice here - http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... put_at_all but I still have no HDMI output. I started out by initially adding

Code: Select all

hdmi_force_hotplug=1
(this option was commented out in the OpenELEC config.txt so I just un-commented it as a first option. Then I rebooted, with the same "No Signal" result.

Next I added

config_hdmi_boost=4
and re-booted. Again, a "No Signal" error.

Then I included

hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=4
before a re-booted. "No Signal" again.

Finally, I followed the last resort step and re-named the config.txt as a backup and deleted the original. I still didn't get a picture on re-boot but on this occasion the error shown was "Mode Not Supported", so I'm not sure what;s happened there. A re-boot using this option but with the RCA attached booted fine with a picture output.

So there's obviously something coming out of the HDMI output, but not the picture that I need!

drgeoff

Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:19 pm

You can try increasing the config_hdmi_boost value to more than 4.

Did you connect or disconnect the RPi and a TV while the latter was connected to the mains, even in standby? With most TVs being non-earthed I'm always a bit wary of doing that. It isn't uncommon for the TV's sockets to be at half mains voltage though with very little current delivering capability. But conceivably enough to zap an HDMI interface pin on the RPi. I'm not saying that definitely happened in your case but the fact that your problem started after moving between TVs makes me wonder.

eli

Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:32 pm

Yes, the TV will have been powered up when the Pi was disconnected.

I've spotted this thread on this Forum too so I've posted in there in the hope that maybe some tinkering will help my cause. If not I'll just have to give up and send it back and claim under warranty.

Thanks for your help.

Return to “Troubleshooting”