dconroy

HowTo: Previously Unsupported Edimax WiFi Hotspot(working)

Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:16 am

Hello Everyone,
Just wanted to let everyone know that the very common Edimax Nano USB WiFi adapter DOES support Wireless Access Point, despite what is listed in many forums around the web.

My very detailed tutorial is located http://www.daveconroy.com/turn-your-ras ... s-chipset/. I'm happy to answer any questions.

Thanks,
Dave

MrEngman

Re: HowTo: Previously Unsupported Edimax WiFi Hotspot(workin

Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:20 am

Hi Dave,

Nice one. I've spent quite a lot of time supporting the rtl8188cus wifi myself but I've never tried setting up a wifi AP although there are details in the driver source from Realtek.

One question, though. The set up for hostapd.conf includes the line driver=rtl871xdrv. Is this supposed to be the driver for the wifi adaptor? Nothing like that exists in my raspbian set up, 2013-05-25, or is this something installed with the command sudo apt-get install bridge-utils hostapd?

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

dconroy

Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:57 pm

Hello Mr Engman,
I'm glad you pointed out that line as it is one of the key differences between my tutorial and most others on the web. I do believe that should be the driver for the wifi card. However, in almost every other hostapd configuration I've seen uses...

Code: Select all

driver=nl80211
...which i believe is just a generic linux wireless driver, hopefully someone can correct me here if I am wrong. This line also is the line that will cause a segmentation fault in hostapd if you run the binary that is installed with apt-get instead of the one linked in my article.

I must have gotten the

nl80211: 'nl80211' generic netlink not found. Failed to initialize driver 'nl80211' Segmentation fault
error a dozen times before I figured out the hostapd binary needed to be replaced when using the Edimax.

Dave

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:09 pm

Gentlemen;
You might also want to have a read of this topic; http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 46&t=25921

MrEngman

Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:31 pm

Davespice wrote:Gentlemen;
You might also want to have a read of this topic; http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 46&t=25921
Yes, And?

Doesn't explain about the driver=rtl871xdrv other than the line is included in the conf files in the Realtek driver source. As far as I'm concerned the driver doesn't appear to exist. Something of a waste putting it in the hostapd.conf file.

I remember when the Pi first appeared and the rtl8188cus wifi adaptors didn't work with the built in drivers. Someone compiled a driver and the instructions for setting up the wifi involved installing the driver and some additional firmware files. The firmware files were not actually used and the wifi would work quite happily without them. This is typical of many set up instructions. That's when I started supporting the rtl8188cus, producing my script and providing the driver until it was built in to the standard images.

MrEngman

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

MrEngman

Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:45 pm

dconroy wrote:Hello Mr Engman,
I'm glad you pointed out that line as it is one of the key differences between my tutorial and most others on the web. I do believe that should be the driver for the wifi card. However, in almost every other hostapd configuration I've seen uses...

driver=nl80211
...which i believe is just a generic linux wireless driver, hopefully someone can correct me here if I am wrong. This line also is the line that will cause a segmentation fault in hostapd if you run the binary that is installed with apt-get instead of the one linked in my article.

I must have gotten the

nl80211: 'nl80211' generic netlink not found. Failed to initialize driver 'nl80211' Segmentation fault
error a dozen times before I figured out the hostapd binary needed to be replaced when using the Edimax.

Dave
Well I've never tried setting up an AP but it looks like the time might have arrived. Then I might get a better idea of what is needed and what isn't.

MrEngman

MrEngman

Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:00 am

Hi Dave,

Well, I've taken a look through your instructions and now have a working AP using an EW-7811Un and one of my Pi's. I am even using it to connect my laptop that I'm using to generate this post to the internet. Thanks interesting project.

Just a couple of things I'd like to mention. First I found your instructions for setting up /etc/network/interfaces were a little confusing to start with. You initially suggest commenting out/deleting all lines with wlan0, except in the final example of the file several lines need adding back in, unaltered if modifying the default /etc/network/interfaces in the raspbian mage. You then say add three new lines except again in the final example of the file one of the lines that you say should be added, auto br0, does not exist and it actually should be a modified version of the first line in the file, auto lo br0. I would suggest just saying that /etc/network/interfaces needs modifying so that it looks like the final example you show, or even delete the original file and make a completely new one using the example you show. Far less confusing.

Next, in the section Configuring Hostapd I would suggest you mention that the lines in hostapd.conf ssid= and wpa_passphrase= should be set up with the network name and password the user wants to use, not those show in the example.

Finally, in Wrapping Up, the AP did not work after using the command sudo hostapd -dd /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf to test it. First I had to reboot and then running the command got it working. Presumably the reboot was required to get the lo and eth0 interfaces properly configured as per the /etc/network/interfaces file.

Oh, and just one final point. I made a mod to the hostapd.conf file. I deleted the line driver=rtl871xdrv and lo and behold the AP is still working. :D Just as I expected, especially as there is no sign of a driver using the name rtl871xdrv. I really must try and find out what all these settings are for. I wouldn't be surprised if it would be possible to get it working with only the ssid and passphrase lines, just like in wpa_supplicant.conf.

Thanks for your efforts on this and keep up the good work.

MrEngman

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:23 am

Those are not my instructions! If you look the poster was a user called not_the_pi_guy.
I was just pointing out a relevant topic/thread on this subject. Glad you got it working though :)

MrEngman

Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:27 am

Davespice wrote:Those are not my instructions! If you look the poster was a user called not_the_pi_guy.
I was just pointing out a relevant topic/thread on this subject. Glad you got it working though :)
I know. They're Dave Conroys. Look at the first post above.

MrEngman

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:31 am

Oops, sorry! :oops:

pimail

Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:59 am

i wrote a detailled step-by-step instruction howto make a standalone AP with raspberrp pi /2 AND EDIMAX = REALTEK chipset. It works ( 4me ).
note: since Febr.3,2015 jens segers has updated hostapd

https://docs.google.com/document/d/16hJ ... sp=sharing

webversion: https://docs.google.com/document/d/16hJ ... MoJzcQ/pub
:idea:
http://pimail.blogspot.de

Return to “General discussion”