petrockblog

Re: PiSNES released - Super Nintendo emulator

Wed May 29, 2013 6:02 pm

kalehrl wrote:Try adding

Code: Select all

-lbcm_host
That did it - thanks for that! I will update the RetroPie Setup Script accordingly :)
fun stuff for technics enthusiasts: www.petrockblock.com

WreckingBall

Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:45 pm

I was having some trouble with the default snes emulator and switched to pisnes. It works great, thanks!

I am having one frustrating problem, though. I'm running a Pi model B, 512M running retropie, and using RetroLink SNES USB controllers.

When I boot and load emulationstation and load a ROM, it looks like the right trigger is used as a QUIT command. Looking at the default snes9x.cfg file, it shows QUIT=5 is set, which with my controller is the right trigger. If I change this value to something else (say 10) and relaunch a ROM from emulationstation, it works great and stop the problem. However, on rebooting the Pi and trying again, the issue reappears. Again, if I quit out and change the value (still 10 in snes9x.cfg) again, the problem goes away. It looks like I have to manually edit snes9x.cfg and change the quit value (doesn't work if I just resave the same file) for it to fix.

Here's all relevant (hopefully) info:

es_systems.cfg command

COMMAND=/home/pi/RetroPie/emulators/pisnes/snes9x %ROM%
snes9x.cfg

A_1=1
B_1=2
X_1=0
Y_1=3
L_1=4
R_1=5
START_1=9
SELECT_1=8
QUIT=10
ACCEL=7
QLOAD=10
QSAVE=11
I've also tried the above snes9x.cfg with the QLOAD AND QSAVE options removed, in case QLOAD=10 was causing some type of conflict.

It looks like it will only use the values in snes9x.cfg if the file is updated, but won't reload it on later loads of emulationstation. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

WreckingBall

Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:47 pm

I was having some trouble with the default snes emulator and switched to pisnes. It works great, thanks!

I am having one frustrating problem, though. I'm running a Pi model B, 512M running retropie, and using RetroLink SNES USB controllers.

When I boot and load emulationstation and load a ROM, it looks like the right trigger is used as a QUIT command. Looking at the default snes9x.cfg file, it shows QUIT=5 is set, which with my controller is the right trigger. If I change this value to something else (say 10) and relaunch a ROM from emulationstation, it works great and stop the problem. However, on rebooting the Pi and trying again, the issue reappears. Again, if I quit out and change the value (still 10 in snes9x.cfg) again, the problem goes away. It looks like I have to manually edit snes9x.cfg and change the quit value (doesn't work if I just resave the same file) for it to fix.

Here's all relevant (hopefully) info:

es_systems.cfg command

COMMAND=/home/pi/RetroPie/emulators/pisnes/snes9x %ROM%
snes9x.cfg

A_1=1
B_1=2
X_1=0
Y_1=3
L_1=4
R_1=5
START_1=9
SELECT_1=8
QUIT=10
ACCEL=7
QLOAD=10
QSAVE=11
I've also tried the above snes9x.cfg with the QLOAD AND QSAVE options removed, in case QLOAD=10 was causing some type of conflict.

It looks like it will only use the values in snes9x.cfg if the file is updated, but won't reload it on later loads of emulationstation. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

pudding

Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:44 am

Wreckingball, I don't quite understand your issue. You have to define all the keys in the config file or they just default to the original settings. So having two keys with the same value won't work.
Author of MAME4ALL for Pi, PiSNES, PiFBA & PiMenu

cherry

Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:58 am

Awesome work, thanks a lot ! I tried two of my favourite games from back in the game (SMW and SMK) and they both ran flawlessly AFAIK, even without OC.

I did notice "tapping" sounds in the audio, but this was due to a weak power supply. When I changed it, the noise went away. There still is some audio hiss - it's not as clear as say an audio CD. I guess this is due to the sampling rate, couldn't be bothered to check it though.

I might have encountered an issue:
Using the Raspi with a small 3.5" TFT via Composite. To make the font more readable the framebuffer is set to 320x240 in /boot/config.txt With this setting I only get a completely black screen when launching snes9x.gui. When I remove the framebuffer settings, everything is okay. Is it worth to fiddle with the overscan options?

Thanks again!

pudding

Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:31 am

I wouldn't mess with the overscan stuff or set the resolution in the config.txt as it only rescales the framebuffer text, not set the video resolution (that's all done through dispmanx). The Pi also has some bugs with the overscan stuff that messes up SDL and the graphics initialisation.

You'd be best actually setting the video resolution using the "tvservice" command. I don't know much about this so you'd be better asking in the other forums.

CaptainCrunch

Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:18 pm

I'm having the same issue as Wreckingball. I'm using the Raspberry Pi Model B and a Retrolink SNES USB controller. For some reason the right bumper quits out of every game I've tried it with. I've also noticed that sometimes when loading the roms, the joystick mappings are completely wrong. (ie: Y button is detected as A button) I've tried hard coding in the keymappings.h and keys.h with no luck. Everything looks normal when I test using jstest. Unfortunately I do not have another controller to test with, though I'll probably buy one to see if it's something with the controller itself. Hopefully Wreckingball can chime in with what controller he's using.

pudding wrote:Wreckingball, I don't quite understand your issue. You have to define all the keys in the config file or they just default to the original settings. So having two keys with the same value won't work.

pudding

Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:32 pm

Unfortunately due to some "issues" out of my control PiSNES has been removed, hopefully temporarily, from the Pi Store.

You can still download it from http://code.google.com/p/pisnes/downloads/list

Katamari

Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:20 pm

Is there a way to reconfigure the Joystick directional keys? I am using a hacked-together joypad that switches between an SNES and a PS2 controller that both use the same axes for the D-Pad. The other keys are all set and work fine, but I cannot figure out how to set which joystick axes to use.
In addition, is there a way to set a key combination for the controls? Just like how Start + Select is a shortcut for exit, is there a way to set a combination (or a function key option like exists for RetroPie/pocketSNES) for any of the controls? I am wanting to fit the save and load state on a normal SNES controller using button combinations.

Other than that, I am really liking PiSNES. Runs a lot smoother than pocketSNES.

Katamari

Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:17 pm

Sorry to double-post, but I am really wanting to get this to work so that there will be documentation on how to do this.
I am using a controller that is recognized through jstest with 6 axes and a standard amount of buttons. I have been trying to figure out how to switch the which axes PiSNES uses. Normally, PiSNES uses axes 0 and 1 (and it is working with them), but I am trying to switch it to another pair like 4 and 5 that have the same output range as the original axes.
Basing very loosely off of Bassmeets form the previous page, it seemed like all that would be needed would be to replace

// Axes
#define JA_LR 0
#define JA_UD 1
with

// Axes
#define JA_LR 4
#define JA_UD 5
and then doing the standard "make", "make install" after removing unix.o from a completed binary (the one that comes with RetroPie). If I recall correctly, I also tried this using a fresh source code. However, in both attempts, piSNES did not react to the new axes and stopped reacting to the original (so it did make some change and a remake with the original settings should bring it back).
Am I correct in assuming that all the control settings are done via the unix folder and can be edited in just the unix.cpp, keyconstants.h, and keys.h to apply to the whole PiSNES system? Or am I reading too much into the assignment of JA_LR and JA_UD and the actual assignment is much deeper?

pudding

Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:32 am

Katamari, run a "make clean" first then a make. I assume you're using the actual PiSNES source code to do this?

Katamari

Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:28 pm

Shows how little I know about Linux....
Just got to work for the day and now all I will be thinking about is getting home to try this and make sure it works (I'll edit this when I have a result). Thank you for the update and you can probably delete my post issue on the Google Code.
Hope your Pi store dilemma is working out and thank you once again, your system just runs so much more smoothly than the others I have tried.

pudding

Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:33 pm

Let us know the changes on https://code.google.com/p/pisnes/issues/list and I should be able to put this into the code and make it configurable.

Katamari

Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:17 pm

Just got back from work and the make clean first did not change anything, so the change in "keyconstants.h" does not make it functionally read from the axes set there, but does change enough that it no longer reads from the initial axes (so it changes something, but not everything).
Oh well, in the meantime I set up a hardware workaround (thanks Arduino!) that is not the most convenient but that works. If I get some time, I might take a look through the source and see if there is something else referencing the joysticks or check if it reads from the joysticks in a different manner, but I don't know if I will actually be able to find anything and for now I am just going to enjoy it with the setup I have. Sorry I am not any help.

Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:50 am

Have they removed it from the store? I can't find it anymore :(
The creator of the Raspberry Pi Configuration Manager (PiCon)

alecdean

Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:29 am

how do i start pisnes?

cornpie

Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:09 pm

What happened? Pisnes isn't on the pistore anymore

welshy

Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:17 pm

cornpie
It was removed from the Pi Store (pudding didn't say why), however it can be downloaded straight from the Homepage.

Home Page - http://code.google.com/p/pisnes/

Direct Download Link - http://pisnes.googlecode.com/git/pisnes.zip
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

joacliba

Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:51 pm

I need to change the keys for player 2 but I don't know how to do this...

I need to reasign axis and buttons from the joystick, is there any way?

Thank you!

pudding

Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:41 am

joacliba, not currently for the keyboard, only the joysticks support a second player.

joacliba

Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:13 am

pudding wrote:joacliba, not currently for the keyboard, only the joysticks support a second player.
I don't need a keyboard, I need to configure second player joystick with custom axis and buttons. Is this possible?

Thank you!

pudding

Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:39 am

Nope, second joystick can't be configured differently than the first.

ti84

Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:14 pm

I am having trouble getting the pisnes to run the roms. I can start the snes9x.gui and the menu page starts showing the roms, however, if I try to select one...it just does nothing or the screen goes black and returns to the menu page...I have an older pi with two USB ports but only 256 mb of memory. Also, i am using a precompiled/binary snex9x file

welshy

Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:50 am

ti84
Odd, it should work fine with a 256MEG Pi, one thing you could check, make sure at least 64MEG of memory is applied to the GPU (use the raspi-config menu) because it uses OpenGL graphics drivers, or it could be the ROMS are bad dumps/corrupted, try another ROM site.
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

ti84

Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:27 pm

Welshy

Thank u...I will try that tomorrow...because I am using a precompiled pisnes file I have not download any sdl libraries...could that be causing me troubles?

Return to “Gaming”