elyunque

SanDisk Extreme 128 GB SDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card

Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:50 am

Hello,

I was looking on the Raspberry Pi compatibility list that there are one 128gb sd card supported for RPI.

I'm thinking in to buy the SanDisk Extreme 128 GB SDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 45MB/s SDSDX-128G-X46 sd card, but first I want have some shared experiences about this product on RPI.

I know that some in this forum have experience with this card and some project on RPI.

Overall, I need to know if this card is fully compatible with the Raspberry PI Model B Version 2

There is some?

DBryant

Re: SanDisk Extreme 128 GB SDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory

Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:32 am

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... XC#p297597 seemed to be successful.

If you do go ahead, be sure to report your experiences (good and bad).

bengel

Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:01 am

I can confirm that the SanDisk 128GB SDXC class 10 cards work. It will not work with the Noob method but it does work if you use win32diskimager to write the image to the card. I have only booted and installed then re-sized the partition. I cannot yet attest to its stability in the long run. Basically the same as what the French people said in the link, but in english.

basilmir

Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:21 pm

To get it to work with the NOOBS method, partition the card into four parts, or just one smaller than 32GB and format the first part as FAT32 and copy the NOOBS files to it.

The issue with big cards like this is that SD Formatter or the OS disk utility will always format them as exFAT because of their size. If you partition it in just one 8 gb part and format it as FAT32 you can boot NOOBS just fine and it gets resized automatically by the install process to fill the whole card.

drgeoff

Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:46 pm

basilmir wrote:To get it to work with the NOOBS method, partition the card into four parts, or just one smaller than 32GB and format the first part as FAT32 and copy the NOOBS files to it.

The issue with big cards like this is that SD Formatter or the OS disk utility will always format them as exFAT because of their size. If you partition it in just one 8 gb part and format it as FAT32 you can boot NOOBS just fine and it gets resized automatically by the install process to fill the whole card.
Or see item 18 in the "Pitfalls for beginners" sticky http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 91&t=83372. Though that mentions 64 Gbyte cards it is also applicable to any SDXC card.

Allureana

Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:37 am

Format the 128GB card as FAT32 using the 3rd party utility from this place to do that:
http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index. ... format.htm

Windows will not format FAT32 larger than 32GB, but the 3rd party utility can and will.
In this way, you should be able to use micro SDXC cards 64 to 200GB as FAT32.

There are also SDcards (not "micro") up to 512GB, but the price was $399

Bargain cards like the "micro SD card" ULXA 256GB at Amazon.com for $17 are fakes. As of Dec 13, 2015, the largest MICRO SD CARD is the Sandisk 200GB. Look for SD or micro SD cards under Amazon's "Best Sellers" and you won't find the fakes listed.

p.s. - the limit for FAT32 volume size is either 2 terabytes or 8 tebibytes (about 8 terabytes) depending on which source of information you found. I doubt we'll be running into sdcards in the 2TB range anytime very soon. Maybe next year - LOL.

I just ordered a pair of 64GB MicroSD cards to format with FAT32 to use in my Sandisk Clip Sport because someone said that works if you format it FAT32 with the 3rd party utility. The Clip Sport specs say the database limit is 2000 items per internal storage and 2000 items per external storage, but that same poster said use the player in Folder mode to work around that.

Hopefully, learning that things over 32GB can be formatted with FAT32 using 3rd party utilities will help us all find more uses for the newer, larger SD and micro SD cards.
Also learning about fake cards will help some of us avoid getting burned by such scams.

keirvt

Re: SanDisk Extreme 128 GB SDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card

Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:20 am

None of this works for me. Formatting the card shouldn't make a difference because when you write the raspbian image it overwrites anything you previously did to the card. Even so, I went through the suggested formatting and Windows image writing software, in case there is something I missed but always the same crash.
i usually use Linux to write imagesusing the dd command and that gave the same result.

I'm using a Pi 3 and trying to bott with a 128Gig sd card the crash error is
"Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block(179,2)"
I

Might it be necessary to have a 64 bit Raspbian image? I wonder if the 64 bit address space is necessary to reach sd card greater than 32gig. Opinion on Google about a 64 bit OS seems unduly negative about a 64 bit Raspberry Pi OS and it look sas thugh it as yet doesn't exist.

Still some people are claiming they have done it and it works. Can we get come second opinions here please.

jahboater

Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:53 am

keirvt wrote:
None of this works for me. Formatting the card shouldn't make a difference because when you write the raspbian image it overwrites anything you previously did to the card.
Correct.
It is only NOOBs that requires all this formatting and associated hassle.
keirvt wrote:
Might it be necessary to have a 64 bit Raspbian image? I wonder if the 64 bit address space is necessary to reach sd card greater than 32gig.
No, I don't believe so.
I now use 64GB cards on all my Pi's with never a problem - standard 32-bit Raspbian.

You may have a fake card.

This new card looks interesting - A2 class 512GB :)
https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/lexar-a2 ... 58601.html

Ernst

Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:29 am

jahboater wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:53 am
This new card looks interesting - A2 class 512GB :)
https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/lexar-a2 ... 58601.html
Will you volunteer to test the functionality and reliability of this memory card ? :)
The road to insanity is paved with static ip addresses

LTolledo

Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:40 pm

For a lesser cost and better reliability, I'd use (am actually using) a 128GB USB Flash Memory/stick/drive/pendrive/thumbdrive/key, as a fast boot-up time is not a very very critical requirement for my system.
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

dannysenior

Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:10 pm

I had a 16 Gb "official" sd card with Noobs 64 bit on a rp3b+ model and it worked fine.
(including sample video)
After some childs play things like internet did not work and a reinstall took place. I then read an article about "bare bone" backup "How to Backup a Raspberry Pi SD Card guide" by Eltechs from linux with dd command but it can also be made with win32diskimager? mentioned earlier but it seems to fancy backing up each partition separately. After the image file was ready I used the reverse dd command to a Samsung evo 128 Gb sdxc uhs-1 class 10 and it worked ok apart from playing video that was problematic. I will do some more experiments like cleaning up after failed installs and perhaps a reinstall. The extra space was set up with gparted as a 32 Gb Fat32 partition and the rest as an ext4 partition. volume names were set.
They were visible under the /media library
The idea was that a smaller system partition would be "easier" on the rpi3b+
regards

HawaiianPi

Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:42 am

dannysenior wrote:
I had a 16 Gb "official" sd card with Noobs 64 bit on a rp3b+ model and it worked fine.
(including sample video)
There is no such thing as 64-bit NOOBS or an "official" SD card.

Win32diskimager and dd are poor tools for making backups. They do no integrity checking, so you could have a corrupt backup and not know it.

Desktop versions of Raspbian include an SD card copier which works great, even with different sized cards. It copies from one card to another and makes the needed adjustments for card size. It can even backup a larger card to a smaller one (as long as the used space on the source card does not exceed the size of the destination card). The source card can even be the currently running OS card.

If you want to make archival backups, look for Linux backup tutorials (not Raspbian tutorials, too many noobs recommending win32diskimager).

dannysenior wrote:
The idea was that a smaller system partition would be "easier" on the rpi3b+
Not sure why you'd think that. It really makes no difference with flash media.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

dannysenior

Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:10 pm

HawaiianPi wrote that my backup wirh dd was corrupt and I should use the built in tool. I will try that. Also that a larger system partition is as fast as a smaller. Interesting. Fetching a book from a library building with 13 floors is as fast as grabbing a book just in front of you ? Maybe the tiny memory can get "stuffed" ? I am not advanced enough to tell the memory specifics of sd cards vs mechanical hard drives and the different speeds and file systems. But experimenting with older hardware gave those results.

jahboater

Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:44 pm

dannysenior wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:10 pm
Interesting. Fetching a book from a library building with 13 floors is as fast as grabbing a book just in front of you ? Maybe the tiny memory can get "stuffed" ?
In ext4 file system terms, 128GB is microscopically small!
It can handle filesystems up to 1 exbibyte (EiB) ...
Also it has evolved over decades to be very fast and at the same time reliable.

Return to “Beginners”