timadam

Re: General Avenues

Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:34 am

I have found that the myriad of containers for systems overall to be truly inspirational.  Generally, in the case of a small unit like this we can bring a lot of art and interest to bear.  There are two directions which are not necessarily exclusive to one another: utility and expression.  On the utility end I find this example of 1980’s tech to be appealing…

A variation on the metal case above would be a tobacco tin like the following.

The mustard tin from a previous post is a good idea, echoing the food aspect.  I am trying to figure a way to enclose the top of a pie tin that would be pleasing and practical.  Perhaps someone has a connection with a plastic food model maker in Japan and a synthetic pie crust could cover a sturdy pie tin of ye olde days style.

My preference to take the hard edges off the soulless and uninspiring blackshinychromepolycarbonate society we have all come to accept as our de facto design norm makes me crave a case made from my childhood teddy…

Though where the cabling would port with my precious poo bear leaves me disturbed to say the least.  And then there is the place all good spooks would put any kind of tec  if everyone else hadn’t already thought of it first…

Finally, I have to ask . . Can we put one in a bottle like a model ship or a pear in pear brandy?

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:09 am

Finally, I have to ask . . Can we put one in a bottle like a model ship

Not easilly, iirc a ship in a bottle is done by designing the ship so it can be made to pop up after inserting it in the bottle. I don't think you could do that with a pi

You could maybe reheat and form the neck of the bottle after putting the pi in but i'd imagine temperature control would be tricky to say the least.

bredman

Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:57 am

timadam said:

Finally, I have to ask . . Can we put one in a bottle like a model ship or a pear in pear brandy?

You can do anything with a blender and a funnel. Did you expect it to be functional?

I was intrigued by the following, it might be a good idea for my Rpi.

Rotary phone-light-amp could be filed under bizarre

piglet

Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:35 am

timadam said:

I am trying to figure a way to enclose the top of a pie tin that would be pleasing and practical.

Salt dough? It looks pretty much like pastry.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:35 am

I have been tempted by the plastic boxes we used to store floppy disks in. Unfortunately I think I threw them all away along with the mountains of disks. (I hope nobody wanted Linux on Floppy?)

The rotary phone hack I like is the one that turns it into a mobile phone. Then you take your Raspberry Pi and insert it into a standard computer keyboard, with a battery and a video sender. Put the video receiver in your pocket and wear a pair of video glasses. Now go down the pub or your local cafe. Put the keyboard and phone on the table and work away at your latest masterpiece, pausing only to drink coffee/beer and answer the phone.

Return to “Other projects”