troll sniper

The piPhone

Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:33 am

of recent i oredered a RasPi and after fiddleing around with it for a while i said to

myself "some one could possibly make a phone out of this" so i began my search but i

didn't find anything besides interfacing the rasberry pi with the motorola atrix 4g

lapdock

The PiPhone is born

i would like to put the RasPi in a iphone 4 mid frame chassis

i will flatten the board by un-soldering and/or re-routing the following connectors
*USB 2X = usb1 wifi usb2 bluetooth
*26 pin GPIO Header will be wired into the pod socket

*Ethernet (will be completely removed)
*Micro usb charging port will be wired to the battery
*HDMI (will be left on the board and a hole will be cut into the side for further
use)
*And the other 4 headers on the pod socket will be uesd for 5Vin & GND
5Vout & GND

I'll be using the pod breakout the interface the gpio pins
pod breakout

If you like where i'm getting at please leave a comment
If you don't and think i should change something please leave a comment

if any of you would like to work with me (not personally) in the building/planning of this

device please pm me thanks :D

haxr3

Re: The piPhone

Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:56 pm

Pretty cool idea but I'd have a look at the power draw (much higher than a conventional phone, flat battery will last no time) and display interface, might run into some big problems at that point.

troll sniper

Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:33 am

yeah i know it is gonna be kinda hard to get a flat battery to at least last for about an hour max but its a work in progress :ugeek:

daremick

Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:00 am

I don't think a flat battery would be a huge deal. Most "extra life" battery chargers for phones are coming pretty slim these days as they're designed for taking on the go. And the majority of them will be 700mah or higher at 5v so it's just right to power the Pi for a quick call. I guess it would be a drawback to not be able to leave it on all the time in case you got a message or call, but if you had some type of VOIP with messaging service you could at least check your inbox on the go and return calls. I don't know the ins and outs of internet calling and I don't claim to, but as far as the battery is concerned unless your looking to super slim LiPo or something you should be fine with a slim charger.

Adafruit sells a charger http://www.adafruit.com/products/962 that they've tested with Arduino, Pi, etc and it's pretty small and not too expensive. If you're looking for thinner and and more easily integrated I found this one which would plug nicely into the micro USB
http://www.wirelessground.com/portable- ... 4AodyBgAAg

and if I'm not mistaken you should be able to run a small 3.5 tft touch screen off the Pi with this. Again the battery backup is only going to give you so much power for such a small package but for an appealing look and functionality either of those should be a good start, at least to give you some ideas.

troll sniper

Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:45 pm

daremick wrote:I don't think a flat battery would be a huge deal. Most "extra life" battery chargers for phones are coming pretty slim these days as they're designed for taking on the go. And the majority of them will be 700mah or higher at 5v so it's just right to power the Pi for a quick call. I guess it would be a drawback to not be able to leave it on all the time in case you got a message or call, but if you had some type of VOIP with messaging service you could at least check your inbox on the go and return calls. I don't know the ins and outs of internet calling and I don't claim to, but as far as the battery is concerned unless your looking to super slim LiPo or something you should be fine with a slim charger.

Adafruit sells a charger http://www.adafruit.com/products/962 that they've tested with Arduino, Pi, etc and it's pretty small and not too expensive. If you're looking for thinner and and more easily integrated I found this one which would plug nicely into the micro USB
http://www.wirelessground.com/portable- ... 4AodyBgAAg

and if I'm not mistaken you should be able to run a small 3.5 tft touch screen off the Pi with this. Again the battery backup is only going to give you so much power for such a small package but for an appealing look and functionality either of those should be a good start, at least to give you some ideas.
that is the exact charge that i was looking at the one from adafruit and the other one looks promising
and i am in the process of getting a 3.5 inch car lcd :D i am so freaking excited

daremick

Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:32 am

I was looking around for a good screen ( I was hoping to find a touchscreen) and it looks like a lot of people are having issues getting screens to work with Raspberry Pi without going through a lot of hardware mods or developing drivers for the OS. This guy had a great vid and it turns out he has his own site where he details a lot of his work. Thought it might be useful.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Spritetm?feature=watch (that's the youtube channel)

and...

http://spritesmods.com/ (that's the guys website.

What would really be cool is to get all the people working on these types of projects together to work on them. granted we're all on the same forums and such, but rarely do i see intense collaboration.

chefwear

Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:47 am

I love this idea. I actually found this thread after googling 'raspberry pi phone'.

My first vision was of a rather 'flintstone' like phone; one that is rather large, like an old Nokia, perhaps even bigger. I am scared to begin removing components from an Rpi so I gave in to the idea that I was going to have to find a slim enough case to fit around the boards original form, provide room for a battery and the bare minimum peripherals. I don't think there is an immediate need for an elaborate screen, at least not for a proof of concept.

I am going to being researching custom cases, smallish batteries, and workable screens. I think given the larger surface area that would result from a bulky case, we can slap a solar panel on the phone to help combat the batter capacity. I'm still learning about how to integrate solar charging into a setup like I've described. I'd love to get some help or input on that particular concept.

I can be reached at [email protected] or my Google+. Good thinkin, man.

jbmichel

Thu May 02, 2013 8:47 pm

I love this idea. But there's one issue I don't understand. How would we get this piPhone to work on a mobile carrier network, to read from a SIM card, and even to use the 3G network? Any ideas on that front?

ghans

Thu May 02, 2013 9:35 pm

3G dongle.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

troll sniper

Mon May 13, 2013 8:58 pm

hey jbmichel i never really thought about that ............thats a really good point you made there :ugeek:

Return to “Other projects”