plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

new minimal image

Sat May 04, 2013 1:55 am

I have decided to start building official minimal images of raspbian. Note that when I say "official" I mean "raspbian project" NOT "raspberry pi foundation".

The first version of the image is available for download at
http://plugwash.raspbian.org/images/ This ia a temporary location and it's likely to be moved to somewhere more official-looking later.

There are a couple of minor issues with /etc/fstab that I am already aware of which cause warnings during boot. These will be fixed in the next version but they should not affect the usuability of the image. I also forgot to include console-setup so while the configuration is in place for a UK keyboard that configuration won't be used until you install it. Again this will be fixed in the next version. I also forgot to include fake-hwclock so until it's installed the time won't be saved across reboots. Again this will be fixed in the next version.

There are two versions of the image, the "plain" version is just an image, the "integratedsource" version also contains a copy of source packages for all packages that are installed in the image. The source packages are also available for download as a seperate pack (and of course can also be individually downloaded from http://sourcearchive.raspbian.org ). The image with source packages included is intended for SD card vendors who want to include the source code so they don't have to worry about handling source code requests.

Please test the image and report any problems.

I intend to rebuild the image about once a month, I also plan to offer a corresponding armel image.

Notes on the image.

The root account by default can be logged into locally without a password. I would encourage you to set a password on it.
sshd is installed and running but will not by default allow access to accounts with no password. So headless setup requires use of the scripts on the fat partition to set a root password. If you want any user accounts other than root you will have to add them yourself.

there are two scripts on the fat partition that will be run by bash on startup (from rc.local). bcmdall will be run on every bootup. bcmdonce will be run on the next bootup and then blacked. It should be possible to use these scripts to set a root password (see http://en.kioskea.net/faq/790-changing- ... a-a-script ) but I have not yet tested this myself.

The plain image is 900MiB and so should fit on most "1GB" cards. The image with integrated source is 1800GB so should fit on most "2GB" cards.

Currently no partition resizing tools are included, I may look into this for the next version.

The image uses a "debian style" kernel and a special version of the firmware package which does not contain the foundation kernel. This will be updated from a special section in the raspbian repository called "firmware". Note: please DO NOT add this section to your sources.list if you use a foundation kernel as it may result in the foundation kernel being accidentally removed.

The image is configured for a UK keyboard by default.

OtherCrashOverride

Re: new minimal image

Sat May 04, 2013 2:57 am

Who is the intended audience for this? What benefits will it provide over Rasbian other than image size and update frequency?

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Sat May 04, 2013 3:57 am

OtherCrashOverride wrote:Who is the intended audience for this? What benefits will it provide over Rasbian other than image size and update frequency?
It won't provide any benefit over raspbian, since this is still raspbian. It just doesn't come with the bloat that 'the' raspbian images have. It's handy if you want a minimal distro without rolling your own or removing packages. Great for a headless server set up or small sd cards. It is also a good starting point for people who want to customize the distro for a kiosk, for example.

nadir

Sat May 04, 2013 7:02 am

Even for people like me, who want to use a gui, but not lxde and not all apps the other image comes with, it is more easy to use a minimal image and install what i want, instead of first removing everything i don't want.
I tried to get used to openbox or lxde, but i really prefer fluxbox (I didn't try very hard).

gordon77

Sat May 04, 2013 8:57 am

"The plain image is 900MiB and so should fit on most "1GB" cards. The image with integrated source is 1800GB so should fit on most "2GB" cards."

What is the difference between the 'image with integrated source' and the Raspian Wheezy from The Pi foundation, as I thought that fitted into a 2GB card ?

Gordon77

hutorny

Sat May 04, 2013 6:24 pm

plugwash wrote:I have decided to start building official minimal images of raspbian.
I vote for this. Despite the current raspbian image fits 2G card, it is not enough space to upgrade with apt.

kuzko

Sun May 05, 2013 12:06 am

Hi,
thank you for your image, this is what I was seeking, but which is the script to add a default password pretty please?
I'm trying to have a clean installation, but I'm doing ALL headless, from first start to production so just wanted to know what I should be doing ?

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun May 05, 2013 1:41 am

What I think you need to do is put

echo "password:root" | chpasswd

in the "bcmdonce" file on the fat partition.

Note: I haven't got round to testing this myself yet.

SimonSmall

Sun May 05, 2013 8:32 am

I realise that this has just started, but is there is list or something that gives what functionality this image has or what functionality you have removed from the "official Raspian" image?

SirLagz

Sun May 05, 2013 2:51 pm

SimonSmall wrote:I realise that this has just started, but is there is list or something that gives what functionality this image has or what functionality you have removed from the "official Raspian" image?
That can be done by running dpkg -l on the Raspbian image, and then running dpkg -l on this image, and then comparing the two.
That will give you a rough idea.

Don't want to hijack so making this tiny
For any people that need something similar but not so cut down, Raspbian Server Edition could be an option. If there's interest I will create a Raspbian Server Edition from this image as well
My Blog - http://www.sirlagz.net
Visit my blog for Tips, Tricks, Guides and More !
WiFi Issues ? Have a look at this post ! http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=44044

bob_binz

Sun May 05, 2013 5:47 pm

Great job plugwash. Getting odd output from ps though, running

Code: Select all

ps -ef 
gives

Code: Select all

missing btime in /proc/stat
Expected behaviour?

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon May 06, 2013 12:38 am

Looking at http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 53&t=15269 it seems you need to install fake-hwclock and then set the date/time to something sane.

timmoore46

Mon May 06, 2013 10:54 am

Many thanks for the mini-rasp !

Just downloaded it !

:D

Tim

kuzko

Mon May 06, 2013 3:38 pm

Hi,
I'm on windows and on the FAT partition there is no such file as "bcmdonce" what I got is this :
3 text files : "cmdline", "config" and "issue"
3 .dat files : "fixup" , fixup_cd" and "fixup_x"
kernel and kernel_emergency disk images
and 3 .elf files "start" , "start_cd" and "start_x"
and a .bin "bootcode"
well... i'm kinda lost here ... do I need to use linux to see the files I should modify?

Joe Schmoe

Mon May 06, 2013 3:46 pm

1) People need to understand the basic concept of "You can and should create the file if it doesn't already exist".

2) It might be useful for the system-builders to recognize that a lot of people expect the file to already be there or else they won't know that they are able to create it. Thus, they (the system-builders) should create a zero length file (to forestall this problem).

Or maybe even a dummy file. like:

# This file is empty
# (Or , it would be, if not for this text)
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon May 06, 2013 6:23 pm

kuzko wrote:Hi,
I'm on windows and on the FAT partition there is no such file as "bcmdonce" what I got is this :
3 text files : "cmdline", "config" and "issue"
3 .dat files : "fixup" , fixup_cd" and "fixup_x"
kernel and kernel_emergency disk images
and 3 .elf files "start" , "start_cd" and "start_x"
and a .bin "bootcode"
well... i'm kinda lost here ... do I need to use linux to see the files I should modify?
It sounds like you are not using the image discribed in this thread.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon May 20, 2013 12:04 am

I've just built a new version of the image and put it in the same place as the previous one, note though that I haven't actually tested this new version.

Please test it and tell me if anything is broken.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon May 20, 2013 9:34 pm

Some notes on getting and using the script I used to build this image.

<MDrake> where is the complete buildimage script?
<MDrake> im on my linux server but everything is purple do to a shorted KVM
<plugwash> <plugwash> the script and associated files I use for building images are available at http://plugwash.raspbian.org/buildimage-20130519.tbz
<plugwash> <sney> neat!
<plugwash> <plugwash> it makes quite a few assumptions about the environment it's running in, in particular it needs a copy of the version of losetup from the latest util-linux (the version in debian is not new enough) and if you want to use the source pack building stuff you will also need a local copy of sourcearchive.raspbian.org and a copy of the raspbian tools ( authorized_keys )
<MDrake> im on unbuntu lts
<MDrake> i apt-get losteup?
<MDrake> Do i need the soruce archive if i want to install fluxbox and a new kerneL?
<plugwash> no, the losetup in the repos of any version of debian or ubuntu isn't new enough. you need to manually build it from the latest upstream util-linux source and then copy it into a directory in your path with the name "losetup-2.23"
* hsp has quit (Remote host closed the connection)
<plugwash> also the script needs to run as root and you need to create two directories called mountpoint and mountpoint2 in the directory created by extracting it
<MDrake> h
<plugwash> you don't need the sourcearchive mirror or the raspbian tools if you comment out the "source pack" building stuff.
<MDrake> ok
<MDrake> now
<plugwash> I *think* that is everything but I mostly wrote this script for my own use
<MDrake> I just get the newist utils and gcc?
<plugwash> ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/ut ... 23.tar.bz2
<plugwash> extract it, ./configure and make
<plugwash> then find where it has put the binary "losetup" and copy it to a directory on your path with the name losetup-2.23

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”