Ian3

Re: Audio via HDMI

Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:11 pm

I've now tried the Ras-pi on my Dell monitor using the HDMI and the monitor is reporting a unsupported audio format. It is saying I should set the audio output to Pulse-Code Modulation (PCM). Is there any way for changing the audio format on the HDMI output? This is probably the reason I'm not getting any sound.

Ian3

Chromatix

Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:01 pm

AFAIK, the R-Pi doesn't support audio over HDMI at all.

This is fine by me, as my monitors don't support audio over HDMI either.  I use real speakers instead.
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.

psergiu

Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:14 pm

All hail to the 3rd Pi !

What audio formats does your monitor supports ?

Lastb0isct

Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:05 pm

Chromatix said:

This is fine by me, as my monitors don't support audio over HDMI either.  I use real speakers instead.

The R-Pi definitely supports audio over HDMI, that is one of the main selling points.  It just depends on what you're trying to send over the HDMI and what the monitor supports.  It looks like HDMI should default to PCM automatically, if it's stereo, so maybe check your monitors audio settings and see what you have selected there.

Otherwise you'll have to tinker with the audio through the R-Pi and i'm not quite sure how to do that...maybe someone else can chime in on that?

Jessie

Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:11 pm

Chromatix said:

Are you out of your mind?

Go here and watch:  feature=player_embedded#at=20

Now tell me if you see anything connected to the two audio outs, then watch the video to see them play some movie clips with it.

Jessie

Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:15 pm

feature=player_embedded

Ok enough de-railing this thread for me.  Hopefully someone with an alpha or beta board will log in and help out here.

Gert van Loo

Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:28 pm

Of course it does audio over HDMI!

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:47 am

What app are you using to output the audio?
There is a demo app (ilplayer) that just supports video + passthrough audio (due to codec licensing issues). That will only output audio if your TV or receiver can decode it.
There will be media players that decode audio on the ARM and output PCM which your monitor will likely support.

Ian3

Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:21 am

It is the demo ilplayer that I'm using. The picture's fine. But I don't seem to get any sound from the audio jack either. Also I've tried playing the track that comes with the lxplayer (by the artist 'Silence') but that doesn't play.

cnxsoft

Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:55 am

I looks like the R-pi sends the encoded audio to your HDMI TV, but it does not recognize the format.

You could try to play a wav or pcm audio files to see if HDMI works properly.

You may have to adjust some settings on the player to decode the audio to PCM.

dom

Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:16 am

That player only supports passthrough audio (due to licensing), so will only make a sound through a TV or receiver that can handle DTS or AC3.

You will need to wait for third party media players (e.g. XBMC and no doubt others) that can decode audio on the ARM, and output it as PCM, which I expect your monitor will support.

laszlo

Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:34 am

Ian3 said:

Also I've tried playing the track that comes with the lxplayer (by the artist 'Silence') but that doesn't play.

This is just a shot in the dark, but maybe it is not the artist's name, but rather a description of the content in the audio file?

Return to “General discussion”