Homwer

Official Case?

Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:36 pm

Hi,
i just saw a case with a Pi logo on Amazon and would like to know if this is some kind of official case
http://www.pcslshop.com/PCSL-Brand-Rasp ... B009LPMXH8
Thanks

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Official Case?

Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:45 pm

IIRC the raspberry pi foundation allows use of the Pi logo by case vendors under license (preusmablly in exchange for a small fee).

Average Mailman

Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:26 pm

On top of this the Raspberry Pi Foundation has talked about releasing an "official" case (If I recall correctly). That could been changed since the last I heard about it.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:44 pm

They have talked about releasing official cases but afaict they have not currently actually done so.

Also farnell has started offering a cased version of the raspberry pi but I belive the case was designed by them not by the raspberry pi foundation.

Average Mailman

Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:47 pm

[Also farnell has started offering a cased version of the raspberry pi but I belive the case was designed by them not by the raspberry pi foundation.[/quote]

Of course there are plenty of 3rd party cases out there that are quite nice and do what you want them to do. Plus making custom cases is always fun.

bonelifer
Location: http://www.phpbb.com/community/memberli ... e&u=147848

Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:50 pm

I think I remember Liz saying they had decided not to release an official case due to the fact that such a large market place has sprung up supplying various different cases and other accessories.

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:15 pm

The market for iPhone and iPad cases, other accessories, apps, content, etc., is larger than the market for the devices themselves (I suspect that may be the "case", so to speak, for Android devices, although that's a cheapskate market, so probably a smaller fraction). If you added up the value of everything associated with the Pi, the same could be true (retail price, regardless of whether it was originally bought to use with a Pi).
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:02 pm

Homwer wrote:Hi,
i just saw a case with a Pi logo on Amazon and would like to know if this is some kind of official case
http://www.pcslshop.com/PCSL-Brand-Rasp ... B009LPMXH8
Thanks
That's by Cyntech. They pay a license fee for using the logo. They are really very nice cases too - very well designed and made. :D
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

Return to “General discussion”