TheQuestor

Camera availablity?

Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:38 am

I was wondering when I can order the camera module and about how long it takes to ship? It took over a month to get my PI back in November and I was hoping this will not be the case. I have a project I want/need to do that involves my PI and a hexacopter and the camera and I was hoping to have it finished by the end of April, but that doesn't seem like it's going to happen :(

gordon77

Re: Camera availablity?

Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:02 am

They seem to be taking longer than l expected and the software still seems to be under development reading threads on here. I think its better to get it right rather than rush it out :D

I was waiting for one for my project but with the improvements to USB and webcams l'm happy to stick to that for now :D

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:16 am

Software is done - well, I'm not making any major changes anyway. Problems people have been seeing are not software related (well, not the camera software anyway, firmware version etc is the main issue I believe).

It's mainly production stuff - making one of something is easy, but making 10k (or whatever) of something (with all the associated testing requirements when selling to the public) is much more difficult. For example, I recently had to send the manufacturer some specific GPU software to enable testing of the boards. And of course, there's things like EMC testing and all that malarkey to get through, as with the original Raspi board itself.

Yes, it's a pain - I wish it were out there too!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

TheQuestor

Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:18 am

So not April then :( thanks for the replies.

RaTTuS

Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:23 am

may was the last date for buying...
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

TheQuestor

Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:28 am

RaTTuS wrote:may was the last date for buying...
Oh I thought I remembered seeing April as release date. I signed up at Newark element14 months ago but no word from then either.

Man I wish I had been accepted for the beta :)

Return to “General discussion”