RetroPie Setup - Auto-installer/updater for RetroArch gaming

854 posts   Page 26 of 35   1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 35
by heiNey » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:31 pm
noticed only a couple people mention savestates, but i cannot get mine working using a joypad.

has anyone gotten theirs working using the retroarch.cfg?

i currently have:

savefile_directory = /home/pi/RetroPie/savestate
savestate_directory = /home/pi/RetroPie/savestate
input_save_state = “9″
input_load_state = “11″

in my ~/RetroPie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg file, but it isn't working. buttons 9 and 11 are my L3 and R3 buttons.

is there some other setting that has to be turned on?

i even set autosave_interval = 60 and it still wont save anything. savestate_auto_save = true as well, and still nothing.

any ideas?
by Aloshi » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:14 pm
Try adding "_btn" after your inputs:
input_save_state_btn = “9″
by heiNey » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:28 pm
Aloshi wrote:Try adding "_btn" after your inputs:
input_save_state_btn = “9″

thanks Aloshi, but that doesnt seem to work either.

this is my config file in ~/RetroPie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg:

Code: Select all
savefile_directory = /home/pi/RetroPie/savestate
savestate_directory = /home/pi/RetroPie/savestate
autosave_interval = 300
input_player1_joypad_index = "0"
input_player1_a_btn = "2"
input_player1_b_btn = "1"
input_player1_x_btn = "3"
input_player1_y_btn = "0"
input_player1_l_btn = "4"
input_player1_r_btn = "5"
input_player1_l2_btn = "6"
input_player1_r2_btn = "7"
input_player1_l3_btn = "10"
input_player1_r3_btn = "11"
input_player1_start_btn = "9"
input_player1_select_btn = "8"
input_player1_left_axis = "-0"
input_player1_up_axis = "-1"
input_player1_right_axis = "+0"
input_player1_down_axis = "+1"
input_player1_l_x_plus_btn = "h0right"
input_player1_l_y_plus_btn = "h0up"
input_player1_l_x_minus_btn = "h0left"
input_player1_l_y_minus_btn = "h0down"
input_player1_r_x_plus_axis = "+2"
input_player1_r_y_plus_axis = "+3"
input_player1_r_x_minus_axis = "-2"
input_player1_r_y_minus_axis = "-3"
input_enable_hotkey_btn = "8"
input_exit_emulator_btn = "9"
input_save_state_btn = "5"
input_load_state_btn = "7"

should it be saying something else besides these?

im trying to get this to work for NES, SNES, and PSX. i tried editing ~/RetroPie/configs/nes/retroarch.cfg too (same with snes and psx) and still nothing.
by Aloshi » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:37 pm
You are testing by holding button 8 (enable_hotkey_btn) then pressing 9 (input_save_state_btn), right? (If you don't want that behavior, just remove the enable_hotkey_btn entry)
by heiNey » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:58 pm
Aloshi wrote:You are testing by holding button 8 (enable_hotkey_btn) then pressing 9 (input_save_state_btn), right? (If you don't want that behavior, just remove the enable_hotkey_btn entry)

omg, that was it. i had to enable the hotkey in order to exit the game, but didnt think it would relate to the save states. thank you so much!! i've been trying to figure this out for days.

one other question, whenever i save, theres a message saying that its saving to slot #, but the font is so big that i cant read which slot number it is, the number is cut off the screen. is there any way to make the font smaller?
by Aloshi » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:07 pm
heiNey wrote:one other question, whenever i save, theres a message saying that its saving to slot #, but the font is so big that i cant read which slot number it is, the number is cut off the screen. is there any way to make the font smaller?

I don't think there is, not without recompiling RetroArch at least.
by heiNey » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:12 pm
Aloshi wrote:
heiNey wrote:one other question, whenever i save, theres a message saying that its saving to slot #, but the font is so big that i cant read which slot number it is, the number is cut off the screen. is there any way to make the font smaller?

I don't think there is, not without recompiling RetroArch at least.

i just found it. change video_font_size = xx and it works.
by JBaker1225 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:28 am
Sorry if this is already posted, but how do I zoom out in the emulator a little bit?

Whenever I play SNES or NES games, the very top and bottom of the screen are cut off, so sometimes text and parts of the HUD are chopped off.

I DGEN, for instance, the screen fits perfectly, and nothing is cut off.

It seems like the RetroArch emus might be trying to compensate for not being 16:9, and thus trying to fill up more of the screen horizontally, but by doing so and maintaining the aspect ratio, are losing information at the top and bottoms.

Anybody have any idea if there's anything I can change in the config or elsewhere to fix this? I'm running through HDMI if that makes any difference.
by tclay42 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:19 am
Hi, I have installed RetroPi via the SDcard image. It works, but when I got to run a ROM, my monitor says "No signal" even though the Raspberry Pi appears to be on. I am using composite out, could this be why? Thanks.
by petrockblog » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:08 am
tclay42 wrote:Hi, I have installed RetroPi via the SDcard image. It works, but when I got to run a ROM, my monitor says "No signal" even though the Raspberry Pi appears to be on. I am using composite out, could this be why? Thanks.

You Need to disable the changing of the HDMI resolution that was recently introduced in Retro Pie Setup. You could either do that (1) manually, or (2) with the RetroPie Setup Script:

(1) In /home/pi/.emulationstation/es_systems.cfg change the lines

COMMAND=$rootdir/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh 1 "retroarch -...

to

COMMAND=$rootdir/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh 2 "retroarch -...

(2) Update the RetroPie Script via git command:
cd /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup
git pull

Then, start the script with
sudo ./retropie_setup.sh

And disable the "variable HDMI resolution" from within the "setup" menu of the script.

I hope that helps!?
Last edited by petrockblog on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
fun stuff for technics enthusiasts: www.petrockblock.com
by tclay42 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:54 am
You Need to disable the changing changing of the HDMI resolution...

That worked perfectly! Thank you so much!
by Cia91 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:29 am
Hi all, i'm trying to set the joypad for gngeo, does someone know how to set the Exit button in gngeo?

I've already setted it in Retroarch, but for gngeo it doesnt work :(
Download GamePi OS: www.raspberrygaming.tk
by marqs » Sat May 04, 2013 9:12 pm
Hi,

for anyone interested connecting old db9 joysticks (Atari, Amiga, Commodore, Mega Drive, Saturn etc.) to RPi via GPIO, RetroPie now includes an option to install a driver supporting those. More information is available at the module wikipage
by embeddedsys » Sun May 05, 2013 7:50 pm
I cannot understand why everything wit rpi must be so danm difficult.

I downloaded the retropie image and after testing multiple sd-cards got it to boot.
Then copy couple of nes, snes, and sega genesis roms into it and they show ok.

But none of them start! Every time there is an error, incorrect file etc.
retropie image was downloaded 2013-03-06
raspi B model
es_log says lvl1: ...launch terminated with nonzero exit code 256!
And if i try to start sega master system game, it brings up ScumVM with no files.

fuuuuuuuuuuuu
by LukeH » Tue May 07, 2013 8:26 pm
Hi,

Firstly a big thanks to petrockblog for all the hard work that has gone into making the setup script available. I am working on playstation 1 case retro gaming build at the moment and retroarch is just what I wanted.

I have been silently reading posts on this forum for a few weeks but I now have a question of my own to ask. Can someone detail how I can use the snesdev-rpi to monitor a GPIO pin for a button press and then shutdown the pi? I know I can enable button polling from the setup script but I am a bit stuck on how to get this working i.e. how to connect the button to the pi, what resistors needs and where.

I have followed this page to get a shutdown script working using a push switch connected to GPIO-17 but this causes Emulationstation to hang during boot so I imagine I need to use snesdev-rpi instead;

http://www.3cc.org/blog/2013/01/raspberry-pi-shutdown-switch-safely-turning-off-the-pi/

Also, is it possible to modify the code so that snesdev-rpi just performs a safe shutdown? if so how?

Thanks, Luke.
by JBaker1225 » Tue May 07, 2013 9:55 pm
I know this doesn't answer your question exactly as written, but I'll share what I did with my RPi NES mod.

I picked up one of these: http://mausberrycircuits.com

It's a little circuit with an on/off toggle switch. I then had the toggle switch desoldered, and soldered in the power wires from the NES in its place. Then just connect two wires from it to the GPIO and pull down his script. When the power button is switched to "on", it gives the Pi power. When you switch it to "off," it runs the safe shutdown script, monitors to wait until that's completed, and then cuts power to the Pi. That way, switching it back to on instantly boots you up.

If you're using an original PSX case, I believe this could be good for you, as I don't believe the power button was a momentary switch, and just like the NES it also had an on and off state.

Sorry I can't be more help to your specific question though.
by LukeH » Thu May 09, 2013 11:06 pm
@JBaker1225 - Thanks for the suggestion but it's not quite what I had hoped to achieve although I'm sure I could adapt it to work as you have done. You are correct that the power button on the psx isn't momentary but i was going to use the Reset button which is.

Anyway I have got Snesdev-Rpi working with a push button using the default polling option. My question now is how can I change the button sequence so that one press = escape and two presses = shutdown?

Many thanks

Luke.
by cjpanici » Sat May 11, 2013 7:24 pm
Has anyone tried to run the (x86) games? I installed a couple but not sure what to use for the sound card settings?

Anyone have any idea on it? I installed Day of the Tentacle, and Sam & Max hit the road but can not get the sound working.

Thanks in advanced for your help!

neech
by johnston » Sat May 11, 2013 11:36 pm
Hi folks.

I got this installed tonight but seem to be having 2 problems (So far)

1st one I'm trying to use a DS3 through a powered USB hub for the meantime. I have SNES ones somewhere I will likely use eventually but need to find them first. Anyway when I try to configure them it's not working. I can press the button for say up then down but when I release down it's recognising something for Right(?) as I release the button. It then follows that pattern for the rest where releasing the button is triggering something.

The second problem is after that it keeps going straight into the APPLE emulator. :(

Only ROMS so far are SNES ROMs and they are in the SNES folder okay.

Any ideas where I went wrong?
by Aloshi » Sun May 12, 2013 12:56 am
Assuming DS3 means DualShock 3, have you disabled the motion axes for it?

You can set up the controls by hand in ~/.emulationstation/es_input.cfg. If it already exists, it should be pretty self-explanatory to edit.
by petrockblog » Sun May 12, 2013 9:23 am
LukeH wrote:Anyway I have got Snesdev-Rpi working with a push button using the default polling option. My question now is how can I change the button sequence so that one press = escape and two presses = shutdown?

Currently, the behavior of SNESDev regarding the button can only be changed from within the source code followed by recompilation.

Making this configurable from a config file is on my to-do list, but I have to admit that I do not know when I will take time for that. So, if anyone else would like to enhance this peace of code ... ;)

You can change the behavior of SNESDev at https://github.com/petrockblog/SNESDev- ... ain.c#L200.
You need to recompile it with a simple call of "make@ from the command line and copy the new binary into the directory
/usr/local/bin/

Hope that helps!
fun stuff for technics enthusiasts: www.petrockblock.com
by johnston » Sun May 12, 2013 10:32 am
Aloshi wrote:Assuming DS3 means DualShock 3, have you disabled the motion axes for it?

You can set up the controls by hand in ~/.emulationstation/es_input.cfg. If it already exists, it should be pretty self-explanatory to edit.

Cheers I'll look into that . :D
by dennisreneholm » Wed May 15, 2013 2:50 pm
Hi.

I haven't been able to find any info on this.

Is it possible to get a zipstick, or something like this, to work with retropie?
And where can i buy a zipstick/controller that works with retropie if possible?

Best regards, Dennis!
by marqs » Thu May 16, 2013 9:52 pm
dennisreneholm wrote:Hi.

I haven't been able to find any info on this.

Is it possible to get a zipstick, or something like this, to work with retropie?
And where can i buy a zipstick/controller that works with retropie if possible?

Best regards, Dennis!

You can use multisystem joysticks like that with db9 GPIO driver. Ebay and retro game stores are probably the best places to get one. There should be also similar usb-based joysticks, which may be easier to find (but are usually lower quality).
by NITROgaming » Fri May 17, 2013 12:39 am
Hello, this is my first post and i need some help. I installed the retro-pie SD card image and got all but 2 of the emulators to work (can't get MAME or GBA, see bottom) everything was working properly until yesterday... when my sound suddenly stopped and has not worked since (over HDMI, RCA works fine minus the working "buzz"), even through headphones. Could someone assist me in the fallowing issues:

(1) Sound through HDMI
(2) What directory do i place a GBA BIOS?
(3) How do I get MAME emulators and ROM's working

I will appreciate any assistance you can give.
Visit my site at www.n2o1gaming.weebly.com to download my music and see some cool projects!