Nannerman

Windows 7 will randomly reboot and wont shut down

Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:16 am

Keep in mind that I'm not very good with windows- that is the main reason I got the Raspberry Pi, so I could get better with computers.

So earlier this month my 2 year old Dell inspiron with Windows 7 decided it was going to die on me. I was actually designing a Pi case in Sketchup when my computer just randomly reboots. I just shrug it off, thinking I bumped the power cord or something.

I get back onto designing the case and then it does it again. This time I click the shutdown button, turn off my monitor, and try to go to bed. I keep waiting for the computer to stop making noises, but it never happens, so I check the monitor. It showed the login screen.

This time I try to shut it down, but I watch the monitor. I think it shut down, but then the blue screen of death (not sure what to call it) shows up for a couple seconds and all I can read in that time is "crash dump" near the bottom.
Once that goes away I make the decision to unplug it so I can get some sleep.

So thats about it, and now I can only use the computer in safe mode. I tried a few things from different computer forums with no luck.

If ANYONE can help me PLEEEAAASE do. I really need that computer and I can't afford a new one.

Thanks

Snailface

Re: Windows 7 will randomly reboot and wont shut down

Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:37 am

Back up the files you want to save in safe mode and then do a factory restore. Here are some instructions on that:
http://en.kioskea.net/faq/7319-dell-ins ... a-or-win-7

rpdom

Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:46 am

That could be a number of things.

First thing I'd try is open the case, clear out all the dust, then power up and check *all* the fans are running. Pay particular attention to the fan on the CPU heatsink, and small fans on the main board itself (I've had a few of those get clogged up and cause the system to become unstable) and the power supply fan.

If that doesn't fix it, remove the memory modules carefully and clean the contacts with a piece of lint-free cloth and some isopropyl alchohol (such as lens cleaning fluid for glasses or CD cleaning spray). Reseat the memory carefully and try again.

Those are the two most common causes I've come across for an unstable computer.

You could also try running from a Linux live CD (no need to install anything) and watch for the handy messages that windows hides from you.

Also, download a copy of Memtest86+ (the Linux CD may already have it on) and test your PC's memory for a few hours.

LetHopeItsSnowing

Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:56 am

Sounds like a software problem, I would suggest doing as the first guy said and restore it to its factory default. Almost always solves any non hardware problem.
"am I getting slower, or is stuff more complicated; either way I now have to write it down - stuffaboutcode.com"

Spid

Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:13 am

DO NOT USE WINDOZE what-so-ever, problem solved.................
I will always assume you are running Raspbian for desktop and Raspbmc for XMBC !

tonyhughes

Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:21 am

Sounds like an 80/20 chance of software vs hardware problem to me.

Dumping Windows is not always the answer. A user may have themselves or other family members reliant on Windows only functionality or support for many reasons...

Nannerman

Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:07 am

Thanks for all the input.

Once I get the time I'll open up the computer and dust off the fans and all that. It can't hurt to try.

If that doesn't do it, I'll go for the system restore.
I have a question about that, is there anywhere on the hard drive that I can use to put the files I want to back up, or am I just going to have to put them on a flash drive?

Snailface

Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:20 am

Nannerman wrote:Thanks for all the input.

Once I get the time I'll open up the computer and dust off the fans and all that. It can't hurt to try.

If that doesn't do it, I'll go for the system restore.
I have a question about that, is there anywhere on the hard drive that I can use to put the files I want to back up, or am I just going to have to put them on a flash drive?
Definitely flash drive. Any thing on the hard drive will be erased.

Essentially a factory restore sets your computer to the state you bought it in, kinda like a time machine. That, of course, means anything you've added to it since then will be gone. (including all data corruption and viruses)

If you're still having problems after a factory restore, then you know its a hardware problem.

Markodius

Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:46 pm

There are a few things that can produce this result but likeliest is thermal excess [edit] Especially if you are a smoker [/edit].

It's worth finding out what the optimal temperatures are for your system so that you know if you are over temp. Here's temperature monitor that you can download..

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Whatever you do.. don't be tempted to clean the fans with a vacuum cleaner whilst they are plugged into the mother/daughterboards - it will overvolt the board/cpu. Stop the fans from spinning by wedging the blades with a cotton bud or similar. Be careful not to touch the components with the vacuum nozzle as it can become highly charged.

[edit] I'm guessing really as processors can vary greatly - but processors should run at around 45-55 degs. celcius. anything over 75 degs is cause for alarm. Graphics cards tend to be about the same. If the failure is due to thermal excess then it's worth checking capacitors for 'doming' where the top of the capacitor is raised or bulged - they should be perfectly cylindrical with a flat top [/edit]
“In the modern age, to call a man unelectable means he cannot be bought”

Nannerman

Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:41 pm

I'm not a smoker, although I have a few cats whose hair has clogged up my brother's fans before. The computer also got really noisy before it shut down, so maybe that had to do with something being blocked.

I'll see if I can get to it during the week. The amount of schoolwork I've had this past month has been taking up all my time.

Brandonforty2

Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:02 am

It doesn't like that you were designing something for your raspberry pi. It sees itself as getting thrown out and being replaced by a piece of dessert. (That is only in a computers point of view and not mine. I have nothing against the pi. )

johnbeetem

Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:44 am

Here's my experience: Windows doesn't like the Internet. As long as I never connect my Windows machines to the Internet they seem to work fine.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:53 pm

windows was never designed with networking, and security in mind, all its networking and security "features" are afterthoughts.

Markodius

Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:23 am

I heard windows was written by the PG tips monkeys after the animal rights group got them sacked from television. I don't think it's true though - the PG tips monkeys were really clever. Seriously M$ ever did produce the baked beans of operating systems. It took Microsoft DOS 4 megabytes to fail to do what more competent OS producers did in <=128kilobytes :roll: It's a wonder really that it ever caught on at all :? Marketing has a lot to answer for.
“In the modern age, to call a man unelectable means he cannot be bought”

Return to “Off topic discussion”