grumpyoldgit

Re: Which browser do you use?

Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:05 pm

I've got Slacko Puppy booted up today just to see how it performs. The standard browser is Seamonkey from Mozilla. It does not have any bells and whistles but has happily done what I've demanded from it.

JulianW

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:33 am

I've just installed Chrome as I got fed up of Firefox being slow and seemingly a memory hog but it would seem that Chrome uses a similar amount of memory but just shows it differently in the task manager.

By default Chrome has the ad tracking turned off.

williamhbell

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:21 pm

Firefox for work (OSX or SLC5), since Chrome does not allow all of our web applications to run correctly.  Chrome at home, since it is running on a nine year old desktop (Ubuntu) and Firefox eats up too much of the system resources.

ReCreate

Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:05 am

I generally use firefox/nightly for primary browsing, and google chrome for secondary. I like firefox because of my many feature-rich addons/plugins that have perfect integration with the browser such as lastpass and xmarks. <3 those.

The chrome versions work but are a bit strange and annoying sometimes. I tend to use chrome when I just want to quickly load up a browser, generally If i have nightly running in the background for a long time, while doing lots of things, having most of it's memory been shoved to swap.

I also sometimes use it to seperate sessions. From my regular personal things to a web project I was working on. (Some day I will finish! xb) But the primary reason I dont regularly use chrome is because it's tab manager is rubbish! Not like firefox, With scrolling tabs that you can actually identify. x3 I tend to have a lot of tabs open from various things i look up, personal websites i attend regularly, and projects im doing.

I tried opera before, But I had to discard it due to it not having so many plugins I like. I haven't bothered with safari, but chrome is similar to it (in some way that I can't remember and won't be bothered to look up unless asked), isn't it? I also don't use IE due to habits, really. Since it's sort of come in par with other modern browsers in performance and such.

Robert_M

Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:24 am

The current state of affairs is such that Opera is my main browser, and IE is my secondary browser (for Amazon Instant Video - the interface doesn't work in Opera).

I used Firefox for a while, years ago, but didn't like losing extensions on version upgrades. I've also used Avant Browser, which is a skin for IE. I liked that one a lot. I used Opera back around when it first came out, and liked it. But then they went to a pay-to-use model. That's when I switched to Avant. But a few years ago I learned Opera was once again a free browser and went back to that. I do wish it supported the Amazon website better (customer pages also seem to suffer to varying degrees). If it did, I'd probably have no more use for IE.
I sometimes ride my Pi to the Forum.

ReCreate

Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:03 am

Get the addon compatability tester plugin. Lets you install "incompatible" addons. and most of the time. they work.

Isceald Glede

Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:31 am

Preferred: lynx - Advantages: No javascript, java, flash, animated images or plug-ins. Just the text without in my choice of colours, using the full width of the window. Disadvantages: plenty of broken sites do not work with it.

Plan B: Konqueror from Trinity (the continuation of KDE 3.5 because I cannot stand KDE 4). Advantages: Builtin choice about Java/Javascript (There are a hand full of sites where I tolerate Javascript. Will not enable Java, and no way will I ever let flash near a browser). I have modified the default style sheet to override webmasters' irritating colour schemes most of the time. A few broken websites do not work with Konqueror.

Plan C: If I have been given a reference to a video from someone I trust: youtube-dl + mplayer. I can quickly pull a video's URL from a web page by viewing the HTML source.

Last resort: Iceweasel (Firefox, but without the hassle cause by the Firefox trade name). This is the only site I visit regularly that does not work with a simpler browser.

As you can see, I like my choice of colours, hate distracting animation, not not like my CPU fans screaming because of annoying badly written javascript and I am concerned (paranoid) about security.

RaTTuS

Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:40 am

lynx  - but moved to Elinks as it handles most sights better than lynx
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

john_wage

Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:33 pm

I use Chrome 99.9% of the time.

But also keeping IE up-to-date because it is definitely the most compatible web browser out there.

I occasionally run in to functions/scripts not working on Chrome, it is not Chrome's fault, but website developers these days have no sense of portability :/

mittfh

Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:07 pm

At home: FF 12b2 in Mageia Linux and in Vista via VirtualBox (the latter copy used only to download new UGC for SimCity 4), plus occasionally Chromium.

While Chromium has a slightly smaller memory footprint than FF, as others have said there aren't as many useful extensions as FF (partly because of the limitations, so e.g. LastPass uses a separate browser tab to navigate the menus rather than drop-down menus and pop-up windows; Colorful Tabs doesn't work full stop), it doesn't support tab grouping (very useful!) and its incessant desire to spawn dozens of processes, most of which don't get shut down when the associated tab is closed.

At work, predominantly FrontMotion Firefox (currently Version 10.0.2.0) on Win 7, which apparently is a version of FF that can be deployed across a network with MSI. Thankfully they allow us our own user profiles, so I brought in my profile from home on a USB stick and copied it into AppData Although IE 8 gets used for CareFirst, Business Objects XI, the intranet (which runs on MOSS) and other webapps which refuse to run on anything other than IE in quirks mode.

GreenTurtwig

Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:50 am

Google Chrome or Chromium, they are fast and compatible with Chromium OS
GreenTurtwig

riffraff

Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:14 am

ICEWEASEL, baby!!! Stupid me... kept passing it up trying to find a way to get Firefox on my Pi until i realized the pun. I've used Firefox for years. I was happy to find my favorite add-ons for firefox were available in Iceweasel.

I was sceptical about Chrome, and now it's banned from our house. Too many security holes. I had a storm of complaints last month about how slow the house PC was. Pulled up Task Manager and found 30+ instances of Chrome happily running, hidden in the background. God only knows what those busy little buggers were up to. :shock:

3 bits of advice:
1) Stay away from Chrome.
2) Stay AWAY from Chrome.
3) STAY AWAY FROM CHROME!!!

tonyhughes

Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:41 am

Happy Chrome user here. Works fine for me. Doesn't use much in the way of system resources. (This is on my laptop.

On my Linux desktop I use Firefox, "just because it's there" (although I am as geeky as the next geek, sometimes it's just easier to use default settings and programs, especially if you choose to bounce around from OS to OS on a whim).

I have only ever used GUI on the Raspberry Pi once or twice to set up WiFi.

Used the default browser (on Raspbian.... Midori?)- seemed okay.

Return to “Off topic discussion”