petrockblog

RetroPie Project SD-Card Image

Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:27 am

Hello everyone,

I would like to announce that the first RetroPie Project SD-card image is now available for download. It is a complete installation that is working well with my setup (RPi model B, rev 1) and that fits on a 4 GB SD card. It uses Raspbian and was solely set up with the RetroPie Script.

You can find the blog post about it and the download at https://blog.petrockblock.com/2013/02/1 ... -download/.

Everyone is invited to contribute to this image with suggestions, comments, themes, bug reports etc. etc. to further enhance this! I think especially the themes can be improved and further customized quite a lot!
fun stuff for technics enthusiasts: www.petrockblock.com

hee

Re: RetroPie Project SD-Card Image

Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:46 pm

Thank you very much for this Image! I'm downloading it at the moment. After having some problems with closing Emulationstation as built from the source at github, I'm looking forward to see myself in a ready-to-go environment.

But I have two questions: Is xboxdrv installed? How do i kill RetroPie to get back to the console.

So I'll give it a try ;) Best Regards

P.s. to be honest, I'm a bit confused how to get your RetroPie GPIO Adapter to work. Is there any Chance of you making a Tutorial Video on YouTube?

petrockblog

Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:47 pm

hee wrote:Thank you very much for this Image! I'm downloading it at the moment. After having some problems with closing Emulationstation as built from the source at github, I'm looking forward to see myself in a ready-to-go environment.

But I have two questions: Is xboxdrv installed? How do i kill RetroPie to get back to the console.

So I'll give it a try ;) Best Regards

P.s. to be honest, I'm a bit confused how to get your RetroPie GPIO Adapter to work. Is there any Chance of you making a Tutorial Video on YouTube?
xboxdrv is not installed. However, some nice people have written a tutorial about installing and configuring it at https://github.com/petrockblog/RetroPie ... controller. Because I do not have an XBox360 controller I did not integrate this into the RetroPie script. It would be awesome, if someone with such a controller would do this!

I bet that you mean "How do I kill EmulationStation to get back to the console"!? You can press F4 to quit EmulationStation and go back to the console. Alternatively, you can SSH into the RPi.

I think the Youtube video about the GPIO adapter is a good idea! I put this on my to-do list :)
EDIT: Basically, you just have to connect the SNES connectors to with the 10-wire ribbon cable. Take care for the correct wiring, which is shown here (use the "view image" function of your browser to view the image in full size):
Afterwards, you can use, e.g., the gamecon driver or SNESDev to poll the SNES pads. Both can be installed and configured with the RetroPie Setup script.

teeth_03

Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:32 pm

This image really simplifies things a lot. I only had to configure the controls and enable full screen mode, but it still has some issues, but first a suggestion:

Put some comments in the Doom config to explain the controls, which are the following, in respective to an SNES controller:

D-Pad moves
X Shoots
A Use
Y Run
B Hold for Strafe
Start Menu
Select Map
L/R Strafe
L2/R2 Change Weapons*

* To get this working on the SNES controller, I mapped L and R to button 99 so they didn't work, and mapped L2 and R2 to the L and R, and just use the B to strafe and L/R to change weapons

Unrelated problem: The Mario All Star rom I have still cuts out the controls after you pick which game you want to play.

Also, I haven't had much luck getting my 2nd controller to work, but I haven't spent much time with it

petrockblog

Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:32 pm

teeth_03 wrote:This image really simplifies things a lot. I only had to configure the controls and enable full screen mode, but it still has some issues, but first a suggestion:

Put some comments in the Doom config to explain the controls, which are the following, in respective to an SNES controller:

D-Pad moves
X Shoots
A Use
Y Run
B Hold for Strafe
Start Menu
Select Map
L/R Strafe
L2/R2 Change Weapons*

* To get this working on the SNES controller, I mapped L and R to button 99 so they didn't work, and mapped L2 and R2 to the L and R, and just use the B to strafe and L/R to change weapons
You mean comments in ~/RetroPie/configs/doom/retroarch.cfg?

Unrelated problem: The Mario All Star rom I have still cuts out the controls after you pick which game you want to play.
I have exactly the same problem - I assume that this is a special issue with the combination of the RetroArch SNES core and this ROM. Any suggestions would be appreciated here ;)
Also, I haven't had much luck getting my 2nd controller to work, but I haven't spent much time with it
You mean two Xbox controllers, don't you? Two controllers via GPIO pins and SNESDev are working.

noob

Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:08 pm

is there also a torrent or a direct download? i have alot of problems with hashes :|

teeth_03

Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:30 pm

I just figured out I have other control issues with the SNES emulator.

Mario Kart works fine with 2 player

Donkey Kong, 2 player switching to Diddy Kong (in 2 player coop mode) still uses player 1 controller

Super Mario World works, haven't tried 2 player

Also, I haven't been able to play 2 player Atari 2600 at all, player 1 works fine, was using Frogs n Flies to test.

Using 2 Retrolink USB SNES controllers

LemmeFatale

Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:09 pm

teeth_03 wrote:Donkey Kong, 2 player switching to Diddy Kong (in 2 player coop mode) still uses player 1 controller
If it's of any help, if my memory serves me correctly, this is how it's supposed to be with this game. :P
Classic - Raspberry Pi Model B (512MB) with Motorola Atrix Lapdock
Lemcon-One - Raspberry Pi Model B (256MB) PiMAME TV-Box

teeth_03

Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:41 pm

LemmeFatale wrote:
teeth_03 wrote:Donkey Kong, 2 player switching to Diddy Kong (in 2 player coop mode) still uses player 1 controller
If it's of any help, if my memory serves me correctly, this is how it's supposed to be with this game. :P
It is if you play 1 player, otherwise, whats the point? I'm fairly sure thats not supposed to work that way

Point being the SNES emulator is jacked up control wise, and its been that way since I originally started messing with it 6 months ago. Is this image using the most updated version?

LemmeFatale

Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:30 am

teeth_03 wrote:
LemmeFatale wrote:
It is if you play 1 player, otherwise, whats the point? I'm fairly sure thats not supposed to work that way
I was referring to the two-player mode, but my apologies, you are quite right. I've since checked the real thing, and it doesn't behave this way.

If not for your other examples, I'd've guessed that the player-two controls are mapped the same as player-one's, but that's about all that comes to mind. Sorry I can't be of any further help.
Classic - Raspberry Pi Model B (512MB) with Motorola Atrix Lapdock
Lemcon-One - Raspberry Pi Model B (256MB) PiMAME TV-Box

robrush

Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:49 am

Hello,

First post here so pardon my extreme noob status.

I have tried a few times to get the PCSX and MAME emulators to work with RetroPie and just can't seem to get them running. I did a binary install as well as a full compile from the home directory.

I did notice that the debug.log file shows that PCSX uses .7z files, however I also see them listed in the Unrecognized Rom Extensions area.

The .7z files show up in Emulation Station, but when I run them I get a Segmentation Fault, the system hangs for a min, then drops me back into Emulation Station. I also looked at the PCSX wiki and it said the emulator supported the .bin/.cue system, which is within the .7z. Does EmulationStaion extract this info? That could be the problem, but i really don't know.

The error I see when running PCSX is as follows:

(Gonna be typing this out here since I can't copy...)

Code: Select all

Starting PCSX-ReARMed r15-206-gad72cb3e/pi/RetroPie/roms/fba is not a directory!ory!
Running PCSX Version 1.9 (Feb 9 2013).
Init new dynarec
no BIOS files found.
RGB565 supported, using it
plugin: plugins/builtin_gpu
plugin: plugins/builtin_spu
plugin: plugins/builtin_pad
plugin: plugins/builtin_pad
Plugins Loaded
Loaded CD Image: /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/psx/tekken 3.7z.
selected sound output driver: libreto
CD-ROM: Label: [a bunch of nonsense characters here]
[more nonsense]
CD-ROM ID: SLUS99999
ari64_reset
Segmentation Fault
I'm then dropped back into EmulationStation and can quit cleanly.

For MAME, the error is a bit more simple:

Code: Select all

Game "tekken3" not supportedpath "/home/pie/RetroPie/roms/fba" is not a directory!ory!
RetroArch[ERROR] :: Failt to load game.
I am storing the roms in the psx and mame directory as .7z and .zip files respectively.

I searched the forums but was not able to come up with much. Has anyone else had this problem? I'd love to get this box up and running. Hope there's an answer out there! Thanks!

robrush

Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:13 pm

Alright update... looks like I was being too ambitious with the MAME emulator, i read somewhere on petrockblog's site that it might not play all roms since it's using imame4all. I got some older smaller roms and they ran fine, that makes sense. Still zero luck with the pcsx emulator. Any tips on the rom structure or type needed to get it running? any other limitations or special config needed?

i also noticed that prboom isn't working straight out the box, not a big deal since I'm more into the console games. I'd love to see a more comprehensive guide to the retropie for those not very familiar with emulators.. hell maybe I'll write one if I figure all this stuff out... haha.

petrockblog

Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:45 pm

robrush wrote:Alright update... looks like I was being too ambitious with the MAME emulator, i read somewhere on petrockblog's site that it might not play all roms since it's using imame4all. I got some older smaller roms and they ran fine, that makes sense.
Glad to hear!
Still zero luck with the pcsx emulator. Any tips on the rom structure or type needed to get it running? any other limitations or special config needed?
Did you try to extract the PSX ROM archives? The PSX core is not able to do so.
i also noticed that prboom isn't working straight out the box, not a big deal since I'm more into the console games.
You need to add your own .WAD files to the ~/RetroPie/roms/doom directory - it should work then (at least it does on my site)
I'd love to see a more comprehensive guide to the retropie for those not very familiar with emulators.. hell maybe I'll write one if I figure all this stuff out... haha.
Me and a lot of others would be glad, if you would do so ;) You could add that guide to the wiki at https://github.com/petrockblog/RetroPie-Setup/wiki or write an article as guest author for the blog :D

Uplift

Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:54 pm

You need to extract the PSX roms so that you are left with .bin files.

some of them are split so you can put them in a folder.

i couldn't get ES to recognise .bin files so you need to go into emulationstation config and add .bin to the extension list under Playstation

petrockblog

Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:56 pm

I have posted an article about the steps done to create the RetrioPie Image. You can find the article at http://blog.petrockblock.com/2013/02/22 ... -a-recipe/.

While I can use that recipe to not forget a step in future updates, it can also serve everyone interested in the RetroPie Script/Project as an exemplary guide about how to set up a gaming station with the RetroPie Script.

I hope this is of use in some way!

noob

Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:34 pm

but is there a direct download?

petrockblog

Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:54 pm

noob wrote:but is there a direct download?
Yes - you can get the download at http://blog.petrockblock.com/retropie-downloads/.

riotbird

Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:54 am

Hi there, I'm trying to install the RetroPie SD image onto my 4gb sdhc card.

I'm running Win XP, using Win32diskimager. I point it to the SD image, and I'm greeted with the error msg "Not enough space on disk. Size: 7862272 sectors. Available: 7626752 sectors. Sector size: 512"

Any help is greatly appreciated! I would love to get this up and running to surprise my younger siblings with some retro games.

petrockblog

Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:21 pm

riotbird wrote:Hi there, I'm trying to install the RetroPie SD image onto my 4gb sdhc card.

I'm running Win XP, using Win32diskimager. I point it to the SD image, and I'm greeted with the error msg "Not enough space on disk. Size: 7862272 sectors. Available: 7626752 sectors. Sector size: 512"

Any help is greatly appreciated! I would love to get this up and running to surprise my younger siblings with some retro games.
I used a 4 GB card to create that image and the root file system was expanded to its full size. The overall size of that image seems to be a bit larger than some other 4 GB SD cards, so that, e.g., a 8 GB SD card needs to be used in that case.
Sorry for that! The next image will have smaller partitions so that a 4 GB card will be enough then.

noob

Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:48 pm

petrockblog wrote:
riotbird wrote:Hi there, I'm trying to install the RetroPie SD image onto my 4gb sdhc card.

I used a 4 GB card to create that image and the root file system was expanded to its full size. The overall size of that image seems to be a bit larger than some other 4 GB SD cards, so that, e.g., a 8 GB SD card needs to be used in that case.
Sorry for that! The next image will have smaller partitions so that a 4 GB card will be enough then.
my sd card had 4gb but on when i put it in my computer it says that it only is 60 mb, i tried to format it to all kind of formats but nothing works, i first had raspian on it and that worked great

kramlat

Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:32 am

I have a question: is it possible to get retropie to work with psx/ps2 memory cards? I could just use a standard sixaxis controller as an I/O joystick device to free up the GPIO if needed. or do I need I2C for that?

ruffnutts

Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:00 pm

Hello everyone.....Having trouble straight away..

Downloaded the latest image called RetroPieImage_ver1.2.img.gz unzipped it with 7-zip
There is a image called 1.img so I used win32diskimager to write to an 8GB SD card once I put it in the pi to boot up nothing happens... what am I doing wrong?

BTW There is also a 0.fat archive in there as well

Please help thanks!!

petrockblog

Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:14 pm

ruffnutts wrote:Hello everyone.....Having trouble straight away..

Downloaded the latest image called RetroPieImage_ver1.2.img.gz unzipped it with 7-zip
There is a image called 1.img so I used win32diskimager to write to an 8GB SD card once I put it in the pi to boot up nothing happens... what am I doing wrong?

BTW There is also a 0.fat archive in there as well

Please help thanks!!
Does this also happen with the recently updated image "RetroPieImage_ver1.2.1.img.gz? I just used that with 7zip and a single .img file "RetroPieImage_ver1.2.1.img" is the result, which can be put on an SD card with, e.g., Win32DiskImage or dd.

mrpi64

Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:59 pm

Sweet!
I'm happy to help.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794 - List of games that work on the Pi.

mrpi64

Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:01 pm

But i cant get onto it. security problems, wont let me, security certificate etc. Plz add another link!
I'm happy to help.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794 - List of games that work on the Pi.

Return to “Gaming”