devnull

Screen Blanking yet Again

Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:25 pm

I solved my screen blanking under raspian by editing the /etc/kbd/config file with:

Code: Select all

BLANK_DPMS=off
POWERDOWN_TIME=0
BLANK_TIME=0
And that solved the blank screensaver problem on RASPIAN, however I have now switched to ARCH and despite searching for several days on this forum and google, I cannot find a solution.

Firstly, running any of these xset command does NOT work, either from the command line or from the .xinitrc file.

xset -dpms
xset s off
xset s off -dpms
I am running matchbox window manager which has an /etc/matchbox/kbdconfig file which I thouth may perform the same as /etc/kbd/config, however it does NOT and it appears that the site link specified in the file for more info is also dead: http://projects.o-hand.com/matchbox.

I've spent soo much time trying to solve this would really like to know if anyone has a solution, I need to mention just once more that xset does NOT work :-)

Thanks
> /dev/null 2>&1

grimpirate

Re: Screen Blanking yet Again

Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:31 pm

Well the solution varies from the console and from X. For the console I've had success with:

setterm -blank 0 -powersave off -powerdown 0
For X I use:

xset -dpms s off
It may help to know how xset DOESN'T work in your situation. Is there an error message returned at all? Is xset available on your system (should be)?

devnull

Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:02 am

grimpirate wrote:It may help to know how xset DOESN'T work in your situation. Is there an error message returned at all? Is xset available on your system (should be)?
Thanks, when i ran any xset command there were no errors, no response at all, so I ran "xset q" and also got no response, so i uninstalled and deleted related files and re-installed xorg-xset and everything is working fine now.

So it seems like a corrupted xset was the cause, many thanks

PeterC
> /dev/null 2>&1

kornface13

Mon May 20, 2013 3:29 pm

grimpirate wrote:Well the solution varies from the console and from X. For the console I've had success with:

For X I use:

xset -dpms s off
It may help to know how xset DOESN'T work in your situation. Is there an error message returned at all? Is xset available on your system (should be)?
What file did you edit in each situation?

spartacus

Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:59 pm

grimpirate wrote:

This works until I reboot. How do I make these settings permanent?

sdjf

Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:08 am

I am not sure about permanent, but if you put them in your .bashrc file, they would run when bash was starting.

You might need to "source" .bashrc in a .profile file, I get mixed up about which profile and bash files to do this to, maybe someone else can explain if putting the commands in your .bashrc file does not suffice.

I have a number of settings that get reset automatically - not at boot per se, but when bash starts up for me.
FORUM TIP: To view someone's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then on "Search User's Posts." || Running ArchLinuxArm on Model 2B and 512MB Model B

Malcolm_d

Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:03 pm

Please how do re-install xset it says xset: command not found ?

sdjf

Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:15 pm

Malcolm_d wrote:Please how do re-install xset it says xset: command not found ?
When you want to know what package contains a command, use pacman:

pacman -Qo xset
In this case, it says xset is owned by xorg-xset, so that is the package you need.

Now, I do not know if the -Qo option will work for something not installed, but that is how I know the package.

You should make sure that package is not already installed and just an issue with permissions or corruption, by entering:

pacman -Q xorg-xset
To install:

pacman -S xorg-xset
FORUM TIP: To view someone's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then on "Search User's Posts." || Running ArchLinuxArm on Model 2B and 512MB Model B

Return to “Arch”