OldMarty

DOS & BBS apps

Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:56 pm

Hi All,

I've recently been playing with DosBox and trying my old (DOS) BBS program on a pi, seems to be working well (so far) although only with local sysop logins.

While playing with various DOS appz, i noticed many programs don't run, whether they're games or gui/menu's etc etc.
Is there anything that can analyse which apps will/won't work before proceeding to install them all day long?

I managed to get 'dukenukem' to run (slowly) but it looks great while waiting for things to move ;-)
I guess certain games handle different types of graphics memory that the pi will either allow or won't allow to work.
Trying to run the original Wolfenstein just wasn't going to run ;-(

I'd also LOVE to get my old XTGOLD up'n'running on the pi, but so far it doesn't run.
I don't expect it's a graphics problem, perhaps just a memory issue or other??

Anyone??

Regards,
OldMarty.

poglad

Re: DOS & BBS apps

Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:13 pm

I guess it depends "why" they're not running... e.g. a missing soundcard driver or something. Once you've determined that, it might be straightforward to identify the likely fails, or even to fix it.

I suppose Pac Wars isn't working...? ;)

OldMarty

Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:48 am

From my readings, the reason many DOS appz don't run is because dosbox isn't a 100% dos environment.
I believe many appz terminate due to a few things not being detected such as memory, video/display paging etc, but these apps don't use soundcards or advanced video paging techniques etc.

I would have thought something as simple as XTGOLD (being non graphic and all text-based) would have been the first thing that worked, but it doesn't, nor so any of the failing apps give an error msg to give me hint of what else to try.

However, my BBS app (RA/Remote Access) is also text/ansi based, and it works 100%, so i'm pretty happy about that.

My next option might be to try dosemu and install a correct Dos like v6.22 etc, and *maybe* some of my failed apps will be more responsive there??

DeliriumTremens

Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:55 pm

Were you able to get Dosbox working with your BBS?

I've been able to get local instances of DOOR games running, but connecting the output to the telnet window is a whole other beast. The furthest I've gotten is having Dosbox launch without redirected output to the terminal window.

Any luck/advice?

ghans

Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:13 pm

Doesn't qemu work better ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

zardoz66

Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:40 am

Hey old Marty,

don't know if you seen this.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 8&p=156159
Zardoz
Raspberry Pi 3 | Raspbian Jessie | 32GB Samsung EVO+ | D-Link 7 port USB HUB | Sabrent CRW-EXT 6-Slot Card Reader | 64GB USB Storage. Other RPi's - 2x RPi1b, 1x Rpi1b+ 1x Rpi2b, 2x Rpi3b
Join us on IRC #raspberrypi at https://webchat.freenode.net/

unclejed613

Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:39 am

i've got dosbox on my linux pc, and it runs wolfenstein just fine. but it won't run on the Pi, since the pi is an ARM processor, and the pc is a x86 processor (which what DOS apps are written for)

what you need to do is get the source code for the app, and compile it on the pi. the video hardware is also much different from a standard VGA card

LemmeFatale

Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:14 am

I wish I could suggest something regarding the non-working applications, but it's the first time I've heard of DOSBox behaving this way on an ARM-based system.

One question, though: Do the same issues occur if using !FastDosBox in RISC OS, instead?
unclejed613 wrote:i've got dosbox on my linux pc, and it runs wolfenstein just fine. but it won't run on the Pi, since the pi is an ARM processor, and the pc is a x86 processor (which what DOS apps are written for)
The processor architecture is moot in this case, really - as far as I'm aware, whatever DOSBox is running on, it's always emulating an x86 processor and an MS-DOS environment, and not running the code natively. (That's why, for example, games that would need extra programs with which to slow them down in Virtual Machines on modern hardware or if able to run natively on modern hardware, don't need them in DOSBox.)
Classic - Raspberry Pi Model B (512MB) with Motorola Atrix Lapdock
Lemcon-One - Raspberry Pi Model B (256MB) PiMAME TV-Box

Jessie

Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:01 pm

unclejed613 wrote:i've got dosbox on my linux pc, and it runs wolfenstein just fine. but it won't run on the Pi, since the pi is an ARM processor, and the pc is a x86 processor (which what DOS apps are written for)

what you need to do is get the source code for the app, and compile it on the pi. the video hardware is also much different from a standard VGA card
Dosbox is an x86 emulator. The main issue with it right now is that it is very slow. I have been working on getting a OpenGL es port of it running for a couple weeks because the dosbox team has indicated that a good chunk of resources are taken up rendering the screen.

I have purchased software such as Quest for Glory and others on GOG.com and copied them over to my R Pi from my windows pc and had them working in a matter of seconds. None have sound and none run at full speed, but they do run.

I would be willing to make a YouTube video if you don't buy it, but there are already videos of peeps playing x86 dos games on their R Pi on there.

DeliriumTremens

Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:29 pm

ghans wrote:Doesn't qemu work better ?

ghans

I can't get QEMU to reliably run anything for more than about 30 seconds without freezing.

I can run Dosbox just fine, but it has a bunch of random file locking issues that make it pretty much useless outside of simplified tasks.

DeliriumTremens

Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:18 pm

Scratch, QEMU is working much better once using -cpu 486, will continue my quest tonight -.-

DeliriumTremens

Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:42 pm

I have successfully installed Synchronet and DOS (using qemu) and have successfully played L.O.R.D. as a DOOR game from the BBS.

It was...interesting getting everything working. It's still a work in progress so I am not opening up the BBS to the world, but it can be done!

OldMarty

Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:55 am

Delirium: looks like good progress.....

I personally haven't got around to trying Qemu yet, but i got as far as installing/running my "Remote Access BBS (RA)" simply using Dosbox, although my BBS install is purely for a local setup for now...I realise the headaches ahead to connect it onto the web for everyone to try....that's for another day ;-)
I think i'll give Qemu a go, and see if there's any noticable difference with the BBS running, screen updates etc etc....

My immediate use is for a retro-BBS display, where 8 local PC's could log into the master(BBS) pc, however, instead of using PC's i was simply going to use 8 rasberry Pi's with their own kbd/mouse/monitor to simulate 8 terminals....
My Master (BBS) PC has an old 8port serial card (from my original BBS) which all 8 rasberry Pi's would connect into....

To add a further element of realism, i built my own mini phone-exchange, and connected 8 modems to the Pi's, and each "line" has it's own unique pseudo-phone number, so each terminal literally must "Dial into" my BBS to connect (using Telix, via dosbox)......

It helps show kids today what we all went thru 20 years ago, listening to boing boing boing modem noises and the thrill of seeing "Connect 2400" on the screen....lol !!!

until then....

DeliriumTremens

Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:19 pm

Haha you are way more retro than I. I couldn't get dosbox to install my BBS software correctly.

DeliriumTremens

Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:24 am

So... after much tinkering and fussing, and realizing things were getting WAY out of hand as far as complexity of running doors, I am pulling back to the drawing board, going to attempt running the entire BBS inside of QEMU. So far I have a DOS vm with TCP/IP reaching out to my network and will be seeing if I can get RLFOSSIL going. Why not.

Return to “General discussion”