hazem

Re: sales date?

Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:13 am

liz said:

As we've said before, it should be around the end of January. Right now we're still waiting on a couple of quotes from potential manufacturers (oddly enough, everyone seems to be on hols at the moment); we'll be pushing the button as soon as those are in.

hello dear Liz, do you accept other ways to pay  than ebey , like bank transfer or Western Union transfer?

meltwater

Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:35 am

Recent reading has concerned me a little about when the "likes of us" will be able to get hold of a R-Pi...

Eben's Business Insider Interview

"We've raised capital in 10,000 unit batches to build the devices. That's the money we need, that will provide us, but there's an upper limit to how many devices you can build in a year at that rate. With best use of working capital you can build 100,000 devices each year, to scale we'll have to raise additional capital. We're intending to release the designs for the device at due cost. We can't make any money out of this, we have no incentive to keep the design of the device secret.

We do hope third parties will be able to manufacture clones. We can expand the concept without having to expand the capital base."

Now this worries me since I kinda expect 10,000 units to go very quickly, and the top limit of 100k seems quite low (if they were available from kick off, it wouldn't surprise me if they sold within 4-8 weeks at most).  I really hope this is a conservative estimate, rather than a hard limit (also not a limit of the SoC supply itself).

My reason for worrying about the numbers is if companies start to investigate this and develop genuine applications for it (even if they are just in-house uses, such as test rigs there is huge need for devices like this), then they will begin making large orders.

Add to this, that potentially a company could build a fully viable product around the R-Pi...the required numbers will be well over the 100k limit.

I dread that the "likes of us" will have a hard time getting within the small window of availability.

Perhaps when the product is properly established, very large orders can be done independently of the batch builds if required.  Or perhaps 3rd party companies can step-in to take on some of the foundries which the foundation has established already.  Hopefully this will avoid the need to limit by capital.

[No doubt many ideas and plans have been worked out behind closed doors already - I'm just speculating on options]

Now I love that the R-Pi will be opened freely to be cloned (it is a least a glimmer of hope), but clearly that will be a good while from now, since obviously it is unlikely the "plans" will be released until certain that they are good.  Then it'll be a few months after that before any company will be able to re-produce them.

My main concern which wasn't mentioned in the interview was how Broadcom will fit into the "Clone" process since their "key" component is only available through them (and clearly will want to keep their IP safe, so I doubt they'll sell to just any random company).  Also, the foundation have stated that Broadcom have supported the project by reducing the minimum volume's and perhaps lower price points than normal to help the project (please correct me, I'm probably wrong here).  I hope that similar support can be given to the "Clone" manufacturers too, to allow the R-Pi to be replicated on-mass.

I know the foundation cannot speak for Broadcom, but I imagine some conversations about this must have been had.  Also so far I've not read anything directly from Broadcom about the R-Pi project, just odd mentions in posts (which are very positive) - I would love to read some press release from them about their view on the project (hopefully it'll come after the release and success - as they deserve to get direct credit from all of what I've read here).

Clearly, I understand the need to limit the working capital to manageable amounts (which must be rather huge as it is), but like many others here, we all want a piece of the pi (many of us, several pieces if we can).

Anyway, just my thoughts on this, hopefully worry about nothing, want the R-Pi to sell like mad...ideally with a few to me too.

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:38 am

I think you misunderstand what he means there - there is no upper limit. He's talking about the working capital we have access to *at the moment*.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

meltwater

Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:06 pm

liz said:

I think you misunderstand what he means there - there is no upper limit. He's talking about the working capital we have access to *at the moment*.

That was one of the ways I read it too, so I picked the worse case.  Glad to hear it's not, but obviously I'd understand the desire not to be juggling tons of money too early (but then you have very experienced people there - to say the least).

Anyway, fingers crossed for the auctions, as clearly they will help build the capital (good luck to the bidders).

In total awe of the project, the scale is huge (there are very few who could pull such a thing off) and hopefully the impact will be ground-breaking.  Although, do we want all these code hacking kids around in the future?...beware the techo-hoodies!

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

jacklang

Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:08 pm

The speed with which we ramp production is governed by a number of factors

Firstly is demonstrating depth of demand, which we won't really know until we start selling, and probably  wont be able to estimate the volume market until we have a boxed, tested, documented product complete with software and teaching guides.

My guess is that the hobbyist/development market is nearer 10K units than 100K. There are 6300 or so members of this forum, of which perhaps only 600 are active.

Second is our resource both people and cash. The amount of working capital is a factor in how fast we can ramp, so any donation (for example via https://www.paypal-donations.co.uk/pp-c ... P_ID=51613 ) helps us here. However we are funded for production runs of the development boards, and their sale funds us to continue.

liz

Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:10 pm

I should also point out that we're not making the donation link visible on the website until we start selling units for real - we do hope that when you buy one, you'll make a donation too.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Prometheus

Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:13 pm

liz said:

I should also point out that we're not making the donation link visible on the website until we start selling units for real – we do hope that when you buy one, you'll make a donation too.

Is this how the "buy-one-donate-one" scheme will be implemented, or will there be an option to do that all in one go in the shop?

spamel

Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:15 pm

My concern is when they go on sale that I will be at work and dip out. That would seriously suck! Any chance you can start selling just after tea time?!

lworbey

Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:21 pm

I predict that the 10K first batch will be sold out within 24 hours... Hopefully I will be able to get one!

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:50 pm

lworbey said:

I predict that the 10K first batch will be sold out within 24 hours... Hopefully I will be able to get one!

My prediction is that the site will go live just after I log off.  By time I look in again, the shelves will be empty. 

That reminds me - I need to put my Pi Store username/password on a yellow sticky so I don't have to go looking when things DO happen...
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

lworbey

Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:01 pm

An account on the store sounds like a good idea!

Just tried to make a new account though and I got "The 'State/Province' field is required." although there is no input box next to this…?

Edit: Scratch that, FF was playing up, IE shows it fine!

sllewji

Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:25 pm

There are 6300 or so members of this forum, of which perhaps only 600 are active.

I"m pretty sure there are plenty of "lurkers" who will be placing an order too! But just in case "active" posters get bump up the queue, I"m now active

Wizzard

Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:35 pm

Hi,

I dont want to bother and I have already read that there will be no option to pre- purchase the RasPi. But I am just curious, wouldnt allowing a full in advance payment of the RasPi help the funding? It could also be useful to know how many people are expecting that first 10K.

As I said, Im sure you have considered this. Im just curious.

RaTTuS

Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:44 pm

Wizzard said:

Hi,

I dont want to bother and I have already read that there will be no option to pre- purchase the RasPi. But I am just curious, wouldnt allowing a full in advance payment of the RasPi help the funding? It could also be useful to know how many people are expecting that first 10K.

As I said, Im sure you have considered this. Im just curious.

It's in the FAQ
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Danbert

Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:53 pm

jacklang said:

My guess is that the hobbyist/development market is nearer 10K units than 100K. There are 6300 or so members of this forum, of which perhaps only 600 are active.

I've a feeling that you may be surprised, especially if there is a belief that the initial 10K units will sell out quickly (and so a profit to be made by selling on ebay.)  There is a LOT of excitement building around this, even from people who are not normally interested in technical things.

Selfishly I hope that you're right because it means I've got a much better chance of getting one when they go on sale, but I'd honestly be really surprised if that 10K doesn't sell out within a few days.

nyteblayze

Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:04 pm

I had to make a post on this.  I don't know about others on here, however, I have plans far beyond teaching.  I see the true potential of these boards, and plan on buying 10 first chance I get.  Followed by 30+ more a few months later.

piglet

Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:20 pm

Jongoleur said:

That reminds me - I need to put my Pi Store username/password on a yellow sticky so I don't have to go looking when things DO happen...

Aha! Thanks. You reminded me to do just that.

hajj_3

Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:35 pm

It could also be useful to know how many people are expecting that first 10K.

I'll order one when they come with a plastic case as there's not much point making our own when we can get a case that fits perfectly with it at some point within the next few months.

Sylvain

Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:32 pm

Firstly is demonstrating depth of demand, which we won't really know until we start selling, and probably  wont be able to estimate the volume market until we have a boxed, tested, documented product complete with software and teaching guides.

I'm sorry to tell you that but the "institutional educational market" will probably never be the main market for your product and for sure, It won't at all be at the beginning.

Software and teaching guides are for sure important for presentations or tradeshow but it won't give you any adwise on what the sales will be.

If you could have it ready packed before the end of this school year, big institutional command will at best appear for september 2013 (budget, bureaucracy …).

You are joking, right ???

I can't figure how you can underestimate so much the potential of this product. I'm sure the first batch will sell in less than 48h, 24h if you allow people to buy several units in one command (In fact, what I really think is that the server won't handle the load). Just have a look at how good comparable products (that cost 2 or 3 times more !) are selling  !

Then, the problem will be how "you" will be able to handle the sucess of the product : are these low prices really sustanable in real life, how will you deal with logistic, warranty, hiring of employees and so on, will you be able to feed the demand in time (production, cash …).

For the moment I'm still very cautious about the future of the project and the delay that we have already encountered make me think I'm right. I surely will buy one or several Rpie for myself and/or friends but I'll stay in a "wait and see" position for a moment concerning the professional project I have in link with the Rpie.

Sylvain.

netomx

Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:35 pm

The main problem here is... shipping. any known shipping cost to Mexico?

Nick T

Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:10 pm

Personally? I can't wait! Are we there yet, Dad?

TommyZee

Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:51 pm

all I can say is 10 first 30 second and up and up, waiting for the chance ^

Michael

Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:07 pm

netomx said:

From the Raspberry Pi Wiki (http://elinux.org/RaspberryPiB.....d#Shipping):

Raspberry Pi will ship worldwide to the best of their ability (ie subject to UK export and local import laws).

Raspberry Pi devices will ship from the UK (and possibly US) and Raspberry Pi will be looking to sign up distribution partners in due course.

To have an idea of shipping cost why don't you look at the Royal Mail website: http://sg.royalmail.com/portal.....r_redirect

Look for a package just bigger then 85mm x 55mm x 30mm, weight about 55 grams.

As an example: Mexico, small package 100grams, air mail 5 days : £2.05

Michael

Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:26 pm

Dan Ankers said:

jacklang said:

I've a feeling that you may be surprised, especially if there is a belief that the initial 10K units will sell out quickly (and so a profit to be made by selling on ebay.)  There is a LOT of excitement building around this, even from people who are not normally interested in technical things.

According to this article, there are over 50k people on the R.Pi mailing list. Even if only 1/5 actually buy and they all buy only one unit, there's your 10k gone right there.

And many of those that are on the forum want to buy more than one.  Heck, there are a fair number that have indicated they want to buy 5 or 10 so they can give them to friends, nephews/nieces and colleagues.

netomx

Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Michael said:

netomx said:

From the Raspberry Pi Wiki (http://elinux.org/RaspberryPiB.....d#Shipping):

Raspberry Pi will ship worldwide to the best of their ability (ie subject to UK export and local import laws).

Raspberry Pi devices will ship from the UK (and possibly US) and Raspberry Pi will be looking to sign up distribution partners in due course.

To have an idea of shipping cost why don't you look at the Royal Mail website: http://sg.royalmail.com/portal.....r_redirect

Look for a package just bigger then 85mm x 55mm x 30mm, weight about 55 grams.

As an example: Mexico, small package 100grams, air mail 5 days : £2.05

LOL, I feel like a n00b. But I don't want Royal Mail. I was looking for UPS or something... also, is the US warehouse still in mind? for me, it is better to use an USA shipping to my US address.

Return to “General discussion”