Gliderguider

Where to start for an electric gate opening project?

Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:53 am

Hi all,

I'm looking for a little inspiration for my project. I would like to be able to control a 24v electric gate opening arm via an RPi. (I have my Gert Board kit, but am yet to fire up the soldering iron.)

The system would be powered by a couple of 12v leisure batteries topped up with solar panels.

Control of access options include:
- Keypad access posts either side of the gate.
- RFID swipe token past a sensor.
- XBee/ZigBee transmission of a code?
- Open to other suggestions.

A beam across the gate posts will be required to prevent closing with a vehicle in the way.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.... I'm a bit lost at the moment!

GG

Hoagie

Re: Where to start for an electric gate opening project?

Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:38 am

It may be worth looking at a web page to open the gate. You could use a phone browser to control it then. The Pi would need an internet connection though. Of course, you'd want to password protect the page, but that's easy enough on most web server software. Something as simple as a CGI script could do the work of controlling the GPIO.

Burngate

Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:13 pm

I'd want more than a beam across the gate posts to prevent closing on things. People get irritated when their kid gets crushed, just 'cos they were standing in the wrong place

I'd put some current sensing on the motor, and reverse it if the current gets too high

realtek

Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:07 pm

You could also think about adding either some code for a timer or use a photo resistor or something to shut the gate at night time (after a set time or when its dark)! :)

Gliderguider

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:36 am

Thanks for the replies, and fair comment about about the current sensing. I get the impression that this is embedded within the gate motor arms that are commercially available. Also like the idea of timed closure, though again, if someones car was in the way of the gate (not necessarily the opening) it could cause a few dramas.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”