JerryRice

Mouse pointer stuck at bottom - only moves left and right

Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:12 pm

Hello,

I am using a combo usb wirless mini keyboads and touchpad all in one.
When I start X, The keyboard works great but the mouse pointer is stuck on the bottom of the screen and only moves left to right. I can try to go up, it does about one ince before returning down at the bottom.

Is there a setting to correct this?

Thanks,
Jerry
Jerry Rice - alias

Eben has BALLS-OF-STEEL!

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Mouse pointer stuck at bottom - only moves left and righ

Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:03 pm

Seems to point to a defective mouse.

therealeasterbunny

Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:59 pm

I had an issue some years ago under MS Windows where the operating system defaulted to the wrong mouse driver - Microsoft instead of Logitech - or vice versa, cant remember - and I loaded the correct driver and all was peachy. Not sure how to tell Pi to use a different mouse driver than what it this is the correct one / default one yet though - maybe a Linux guru can post this?

But worth a shot from majongg's comments - to prove mouse is good - does it work OK in a different computer?

JerryRice

Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:16 pm

This keyboard and mouse works great with other computers (windows) and also works great with BeageBoard using Ubuntu.

I also agree and think I have to somehow tell the Raspberry PI which driver.. but I dont know how. Although it does show the correct name of the device at startup.

I am using: iPazzPort model: KP-810-10A

If anyone knows what to do, please help.
Jerry Rice - alias

Eben has BALLS-OF-STEEL!

davec

Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:41 pm

I'm getting exactly the same issue. sometimes the mouse will behave normally, and other times it gets stuck on the bottom of the task bar.

I'm also using a combined wireless keyboard/trackpad. Mine is a "Rii" RT-MWK01. which is likely exactly the same as yours! works great in windows, but this debian doesnt seem to like it so much!

alexray

Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:43 pm

I have this problem with the same wireless mini keyboard / trackpad combo. The mouse acts as if it's constantly receiving a down input. Only moving up fast gets it off of the bottom of the screen, as soon as you stop it goes back to the bottom.

JerryRice

Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:43 am

Its great to know that we are not alone :)
This is a great keyboard for this device and good for Carputer.

Any ideas on what to do?
Jerry Rice - alias

Eben has BALLS-OF-STEEL!

JerryRice

Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:43 am

Hello Guys, I am so new at this type of computing and sorry to say that I have not yet found a way to get this working. Has anyone else get any closer?
Jerry Rice - alias

Eben has BALLS-OF-STEEL!

JerryRice

Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:12 pm

Just a quick update that seems to work for me so far. Try this:

Plug in all peripherals into a external powered hub. Shut the keyboard power switch.
Power on your RPi

When the log in prompt appears, turn on the keyboard. Log in. Then I always log in as root but I dont know if you need to.

Then command: startx

as it loads and you see the mouse pointer on screen- keep the mouse up high using the touchpad.
That's it, then use as normal.

Seems to work. Please try and post back.
Jerry Rice - alias

Eben has BALLS-OF-STEEL!

Reider

Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:00 pm

Thank you thank you thank you, may all your childrens children have plenty children! ;) :) Was just talking about my Rii in an IRC forum. came here to get the link as several folk were interested in it, knowing it didn`t work so well with the RasPi but OK with everything else. Just tested in Wheezy and I know it was problematic before because I tried it. Had the same problem with the sticking cursor in Debian Squeeze too. Did it your way but no admin log in, just normal and it works so perfectly! :D :D :D

I was still well happy with this small keyboard/trackpad but this just puts the icing on the cake. Thankfully I had a full size Keyboard/mouse but I`m tempted to put that away again now. Thanks again,

Steve

ChristianK

Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:17 pm

Hello,
still have this problem with the new Raspbian Image.
My iPazzPort KP-810-10A works fine with the Debian build from 19 04 2012
any ideas?
regards
Christian

JRT

Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:57 am

I also have this problem, with the same keyboard. Works fine in windows.... It's intermittent, too. Sometimes it's fine.

I'll run dmesg tonight and see if there's any info... Also, I might run a different flavour of Linux (using Raspbian) and see if that helps.

JRT

Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:38 pm

Ok, for anyone that's interested, here's my findings.

Different power supply, no hub - same problem. HOWEVER - if I disconnect the ethernet, the problem pretty much disappears. I don't think it's a power problem, I think it's a usb/lan conflict of some kind, which would make sense given what I've read about the usb on the pi.

My other keyboards (wireless) all work. Maybe because this is a slightly cheaper chinese knock-off, it has weird driver issues....

IamTheFij

Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:36 am

So my device is not defective. Thanks for the information. This seems like a pretty strange issue. I got mixed results with and without the ethernet plugged in, so I'm not totally certain that the PI is the issue entirely.

I'm trying to download the RPi VirtualBox image to see if it really is onboard interference or if it's a driver issue. If it's a driver issue, I imagine it can be fixed. Another possibility is that one of the maintainers of Raspbian might be interested in helping debug the issue if we send them a remote given they are so cheap.

dlesage

Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:31 am

I've actually got the same issue with an offbrand wireless keyboard and mouse.
The keyboard works great, but the mouse will get stuck at the bottom and disappear randomly. If I let the RPI sit long enough, the mouse will begin to function again eventually.

The keyboard and the mouse both work perfectly in another machine.
The mouse has issues whether or not the ethernet is plugged in.

HOD

Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:24 pm

Just another instance of the same (or at least similar) issue. Wireless keyboard with mini trackball. Works fine in Windows but on the RasPi the trackball keeps getting the mouse pointer stuck in the taskbar.
NOTE: It's not just as if there are constant down commands being received. It looks more like the mouse has been 'captured' by the taskbar. Once it happens I can move the pointer anywhere within the bottom few pixels of the screen, but no longer above the taskbar. Could it be an issue with X (focus being kept by the taskbar)?
I usually end up using the keyboard to access the menu. Occasionally the mouse pointer frees itself, but I've not yet fathomed a pattern to this behavior.
Regards,
Ian.

MaxK1

Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:36 pm

Had the same problem with a bunch of mice until I switched to a known good powered USB hub.
In fact, most of my Pi problems disappeared when I switched to powering the Pi through the GPIO
header with decent power supplies which also feed the hubs. One supply is 5V/2A feeding a Pi
and a single hub. Other is 5V/6A feeding a different Pi and 2 hubs. But, make sure you have the
latest kernel and firmware as there are some settings that have been added which may help.
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
When General Failure and Major Disaster get together, Private Parts usually suffers.

TzT

Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:29 pm

Same problem usin iPazzPort keyboard & mouse.

Solved powering keyboard after RPi (linux full charged)

Maybe the key point should be usb loading ;)

TzT

Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:33 am

Same problem using iPazzPort keyboard & mouse.

Solved powering keyboard after RPi (linux full charged)

Maybe the key point should be usb loading ;)

theoB610

Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:05 am

Had similar problems as all :)
Two different things worked on different occasions:
1. Unplug ethernet and any other things, turn off boot straight to desktop
2. Plug in keyboard after boot
Both are quite clunky, but they've worked.
What I did was literally try any and every fix I could find.
I hope everyone else gets theirs sorted!

CraigV

Tue May 21, 2013 1:30 pm

I have been having this problem and might have a solution. I wiggle my finger around the touch pad while startx is coming up. The theory is that the driver needs to see some action to make the correct configuration decisions.

On the other hand, I have now also done an update and an upgrade which brought in newer X software among about 150 other packages.

I won't know for sure if the problem is reliably cured until I have another week or so of experience with using the Rii Mini and RasPi.

mayaco

Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:11 pm

don't know if this will make a difference, but when i had this issue, i simply made sure that the usb dongle for the mouse/keyboard combo was on the top port, and the wireless on the bottom

JohnWulff

Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:40 am

I'm getting exactly the same issue. sometimes the mouse will behave normally, and other times it gets stuck on the bottom of the task bar.

I'm using a combined wireless keyboard/trackpad. Mine is a DGTEC DG-WKB3001 sold to me by the Australian RPI distributor with an RPI B. I have just put the keyboard USB stick in the top port and the AusPi WiFi dongle in the bottom port as suggested. I also twirled my finger on the trackpad during booting of X. The mouse is now behaving normally for the first time today.

Dripfree

Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:43 am

Thought id give this thread a little bump and see if anyone has found a solution for this one. I wish I would have read this thread a week ago cuz I just bought the ipazzport KP-810-10A. I've only tried raspbmc so far and it doesn't even boot with the dongle plugged in. I'm going to play around with it some more tomorrow, but I'd thought I'd see if someone could save me some time with a verified solution.

veeduber

Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:34 am

I just ran into this on a particular TV. Setting up the pi, I used a small TV close to the wired network. Once setup, I switched to our main TV. Now the cursor is stuck at the bottom. Same hardware: powered USB wireless scratchpad keyboard mouse.

Return to “Troubleshooting”