Max

Re: Berryboot v1.1 - Boot menu / OS installer

Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:13 pm

LurkAzusa wrote: Second, I would like to store music, pictures and videos to folders to be available to all the OS's installed. Is this possible? I currently have them in the Music and Video folders in openELEC, but can't see them in Raspbian.
Can mount the raw data partition somewhere

Code: Select all

sudo mount LABEL=berryboot /mnt
Files are then available in /mnt/data/name-of-operating-system-they-were-created-under

joejoe92
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:59 pm

Re: Berryboot v1.1 - Boot menu / OS installer

Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:05 pm

Hi,

I just tried to install BerryWebServer, which I btw think is a fantastic thing, on a 128MB sd card, because I didn't want to waste an 1GB sd card. In the main menu it shows on the bottom '13 MB disk space available', which should be sufficient for the 5MB OS, but it fails because of not enough disk space. What could be the reason for that? I formatted the sd card with FAT16, 2048bytes allocation unit size.

klamathxor
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:33 pm

Re: Berryboot v1.1 - Boot menu / OS installer

Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:21 pm

Max, I downgraded to berryboot-20121126 and applied the networkpatch.cpio to kernel_berryboot.img and dhcp is still being used.
Max wrote:
klamathxor wrote:/boot/config.txt

disable_overscan=1
kernel=kernel_rpi_aufs.img
initramfs berryboot.img

gpu_mem=16
initramfs networkpatch.cpio 0x00800000
Seems the bootloader doesn't handle multiple initramfs files.
Can try removing "initramfs networkpatch.cpio 0x00800000" from config.txt and appending networkpatch.cpio to berryboot.img manually.

Code: Select all

cat networkpatch.cpio >> berryboot.img
==
First, I added addons for hdhomerun (driver for networked TV) and TVheadend in openELEC. It doesn't seem to recognize the addons. Is that because the driver needs to be at the Berryboot level?
Do not support any DVB devices that are not in the official rpi kernel.

Max

Re: Berryboot v1.1 - Boot menu / OS installer

Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:28 pm

klamathxor wrote:Max, I downgraded to berryboot-20121126 and applied the networkpatch.cpio to kernel_berryboot.img and dhcp is still being used.
Use the new version, and concatenate it to berryboot.img, instead of kernel_berryboot.img.

klamathxor
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:33 pm

Re: Berryboot v1.1 - Boot menu / OS installer

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:47 pm

Max,

Upgraded and then issued

Code: Select all

cat networkpatch.cpio >> berryboot.img 
When system boots, im receiving a kernel panic before picking OS:

Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)


Tim
Max wrote:
klamathxor wrote:Max, I downgraded to berryboot-20121126 and applied the networkpatch.cpio to kernel_berryboot.img and dhcp is still being used.
Use the new version, and concatenate it to berryboot.img, instead of kernel_berryboot.img.

Max

Re: Berryboot v1.1 - Boot menu / OS installer

Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:10 pm

klamathxor wrote: Upgraded and then issued

Code: Select all

cat networkpatch.cpio >> berryboot.img 
If you do "ls -l berryboot.img" does the file size looks right?
Should be about 8 MB, and the number should be dividable by 4.

klamathxor
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:33 pm

Re: Berryboot v1.1 - Boot menu / OS installer

Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:57 pm

Max,

8240410 Jan 2 16:37 berryboot.img, doesn't seems to be divisible by 4, please advise, do i need to add a zero padding to the file?


Max wrote:
klamathxor wrote: Upgraded and then issued

Code: Select all

cat networkpatch.cpio >> berryboot.img 
If you do "ls -l berryboot.img" does the file size looks right?
Should be about 8 MB, and the number should be dividable by 4.

Max

Re: Berryboot v1.1 - Boot menu / OS installer

Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:10 am

klamathxor wrote: 8240410 Jan 2 16:37 berryboot.img, doesn't seems to be divisible by 4, please advise, do i need to add a zero padding to the file?
Might indeed need zero padding between berryboot.img and networkpatch or at the end.

http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation ... format.txt

Code: Select all

The full format of the initramfs buffer is defined by the following
grammar, where:
	*	is used to indicate "0 or more occurrences of"
	(|)	indicates alternatives
	+	indicates concatenation
	GZIP()	indicates the gzip(1) of the operand
	ALGN(n)	means padding with null bytes to an n-byte boundary

	initramfs  := ("\0" | cpio_archive | cpio_gzip_archive)*

	cpio_gzip_archive := GZIP(cpio_archive)

	cpio_archive := cpio_file* + (<nothing> | cpio_trailer)

	cpio_file := ALGN(4) + cpio_header + filename + "\0" + ALGN(4) + data

	cpio_trailer := ALGN(4) + cpio_header + "TRAILER!!!\0" + ALGN(4)


In human terms, the initramfs buffer contains a collection of
compressed and/or uncompressed cpio archives (in the "newc" or "crc"
formats); arbitrary amounts zero bytes (for padding) can be added
between members.

kurtdcobain
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:42 pm

Re: Berryboot v1.1 - Boot menu / OS installer

Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:00 pm

Hi, I have installed raspbian and openelec with "berryboot-20121230" but when I type sudo rasp-config there's no option to overclock, raspi-update, etc...
I typed sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade then I tried to update the firmware with rpi-update but I have this error: "sudo rpi-update
Raspberry Pi firmware updater by Hexxeh, enhanced by AndrewS
Performing self-update
/boot/start.elf doesn't exist."

Image

with the previous version of berryboot (berryboot-20121126) with raspi-config I could select overclock, split memory, etc...

if i type sudo /opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd version
Dec 27 2012 17:49:29
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version 359888 (release)
is this the last version?
Last edited by kurtdcobain on Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Max

Re: Berryboot v1.1 - Boot menu / OS installer

Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:19 pm

kurtdcobain wrote:Hi, I have installed raspbian and openelec with "berryboot-20121230" but when I type sudo rasp-config there's no option to overclock, raspi-update, etc...
I typed sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade then I tried to update the firmware with rpi-update but I have this error: "sudo rpi-update
Raspberry Pi firmware updater by Hexxeh, enhanced by AndrewS
Performing self-update
/boot/start.elf doesn't exist."
  • Firmware has to be updated through the Berryboot GUI, not using rpi-update.
  • If you know what you are doing, you can set overclock settings through the Berryboot GUI (advanced settings -> config.txt tab). I would not recommend anyone to overclock though.
  • No need to change memory split manually anymore, Long live CMA.

kurtdcobain
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:42 pm

Re: Berryboot v1.1 - Boot menu / OS installer

Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:37 pm

Max wrote: [*] Firmware has to be updated through the Berryboot GUI, not using rpi-update.
[*] If you know what you are doing, you can set overclock settings through the Berryboot GUI (advanced settings -> config.txt tab). I would not recommend anyone to overclock though.
[*] No need to change memory split manually anymore, Long live CMA.
Thank you Max for your quick reply,
1- so how can I upgrade firmware with berryboot?
2-my "overclock" is just dynamic turbo mode introduced with last firmware update, I would want enable it.
3- Nice to know.

right now I have this error by clicking on edit menu: "error connecting to wifi. check settings in /boot/wpa_supplicant.conf". I have a usb wifi dongle Edimax EW-7811Un, it works like a charm with berryboot during first installation of raspbian and openelec.

kdc

Max

Re: Berryboot v1.1 - Boot menu / OS installer

Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:04 pm

kurtdcobain wrote: 1- so how can I upgrade firmware with berryboot?
Click "add OS"
If there is a Berryboot update (which includes firmware) you will get a popup prompt.
right now I have this error by clicking on edit menu: "error connecting to wifi. check settings in /boot/wpa_supplicant.conf". I have a usb wifi dongle Edimax EW-7811Un, it works like a charm with berryboot during first installation of raspbian and openelec.
Cannot provide support on individual wifi dongles.
Works with mine (rtl8187)

kurtdcobain
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:42 pm

Re: Berryboot v1.1 - Boot menu / OS installer

Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:09 pm

Max wrote:
kurtdcobain wrote: 1- so how can I upgrade firmware with berryboot?
Click "add OS"
If there is a Berryboot update (which includes firmware) you will get a popup prompt.
right now I have this error by clicking on edit menu: "error connecting to wifi. check settings in /boot/wpa_supplicant.conf". I have a usb wifi dongle Edimax EW-7811Un, it works like a charm with berryboot during first installation of raspbian and openelec.
Cannot provide support on individual wifi dongles.
Works with mine (rtl8187)
thanks, instead for turbo mode? is it enabled by default? and for expanding raspbian to fill my sd? i have 2GB free, Raspbian and OpenElec.

klamathxor
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:33 pm

Re: Berryboot v1.1 - Boot menu / OS installer

Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:20 pm

This is outside of my scope of knowledge. Would editing the 'buildroot-2012.05/package/berrybootgui2/init' and repackaging the berryboot.img take less time? Thinking about cating the /etc/network/interface and /etc/resolv.conf files after

Code: Select all

/bin/hostname -F /etc/hostname
Is network initialized at this point? would I need to re-init the interface?

Reason for all of this, im using iscsi backed storage, it seems like once the OS releases the IP lease the iscsi target disconnects and its unable to finish the shutdown process cleanly.

Tim

Max wrote:
klamathxor wrote: 8240410 Jan 2 16:37 berryboot.img, doesn't seems to be divisible by 4, please advise, do i need to add a zero padding to the file?
Might indeed need zero padding between berryboot.img and networkpatch or at the end.

http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation ... format.txt

Code: Select all

The full format of the initramfs buffer is defined by the following
grammar, where:
	*	is used to indicate "0 or more occurrences of"
	(|)	indicates alternatives
	+	indicates concatenation
	GZIP()	indicates the gzip(1) of the operand
	ALGN(n)	means padding with null bytes to an n-byte boundary

	initramfs  := ("\0" | cpio_archive | cpio_gzip_archive)*

	cpio_gzip_archive := GZIP(cpio_archive)

	cpio_archive := cpio_file* + (<nothing> | cpio_trailer)

	cpio_file := ALGN(4) + cpio_header + filename + "\0" + ALGN(4) + data

	cpio_trailer := ALGN(4) + cpio_header + "TRAILER!!!\0" + ALGN(4)


In human terms, the initramfs buffer contains a collection of
compressed and/or uncompressed cpio archives (in the "newc" or "crc"
formats); arbitrary amounts zero bytes (for padding) can be added
between members.

Max

Re: Berryboot v1.1 - Boot menu / OS installer

Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:28 pm

kurtdcobain wrote: thanks, instead for turbo mode?
If you know what you are doing, you can edit config.txt manually.
If not, do not overclock.
Significantly increases risk of SD card corruption.
and for expanding raspbian to fill my sd?
Berryboot always formats the entire SD card during installation. So there is no spare space left to expand to.
Last edited by Max on Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Max

Re: Berryboot v1.1 - Boot menu / OS installer

Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:33 pm

klamathxor wrote:This is outside of my scope of knowledge. Would editing the 'buildroot-2012.05/package/berrybootgui2/init' and repackaging the berryboot.img take less time?
Repacking berryboot.img may indeed be faster.
In short:

Code: Select all

Edit buildroot-2012.05/package/berrybootgui2/interfaces 
./rebuild-berryboot.sh
Edit buildroot-2012.05/output/target/etc/resolv.conf
./rebuild-berryboot.sh
No need to edit "init".
When it needs network access Berryboot calls "ifup eth0" which parses /etc/network/interfaces.

User avatar
rmac
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:36 am

Re: Berryboot v1.1 - Boot menu / OS installer

Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:40 am

How do you install fedora and RISC OS pi so that they appear on the same SD card with the Berryboot added distros?
RISC OS user 'downunder'

User avatar
excollier
Posts: 194
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:17 am

Re: Berryboot v1.1 - Boot menu / OS installer

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:41 am

If you go to the BerryBoot web page it gives you a set of instructions on how to convert other OSs to work with BerryBoot and add them in. With a lot of help on here I was able to add PiBang to my BerryBoot card, and it works beautifully.
If you are any way familiar with command line (I'm not) you will be able to convert, possibly, any OS to work with BerryBoot. If you get it to work, it will be worth it, what have you to lose other than time?

User avatar
rmac
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:36 am

Re: Berryboot v1.1 - Boot menu / OS installer

Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:58 am

Thanks for the advice on what to do. I'll give it a try. (and I might be back for help as I'm not a 'command line' type either) :D
RISC OS user 'downunder'

Max

Re: Berryboot v1.1 - Boot menu / OS installer

Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:25 pm

rmac wrote:How do you install fedora and RISC OS pi so that they appear on the same SD card with the Berryboot added distros?
Only Linux distributions are supported.

What makes other operating systems problematic is that not only do you need to get them to boot, but you also need to make them share a single partition with the others.
Don't think RISC OS can be told to use a folder on an ext4 partition.

furrysalamander
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:12 am

Re: Berryboot v1.1 - Boot menu / OS installer

Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:24 am

Where do I get the 512mb compatible version?!? I am eager to use my new pi but need help!

User avatar
rmac
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:36 am

Re: Berryboot v1.1 - Boot menu / OS installer

Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:55 am

I'm back ...!!!!

$ sudo kpartx -av image_you_want_to_convert.img
I understand the image part BUT where do you put the image so that this process can start? Does the .img file go on the desktop? in a folder?

How do you know if you have kpartx and mksquashfs ? I'm using Debian/raspbian!

add map loop0p1 (252:5): 0 117187 linear /dev/loop0 1
add map loop0p2 (252:6): 0 3493888 linear /dev/loop0 118784
$ sudo mount /dev/mapper/loop0p2 /mnt
$ sudo mksquashfs /mnt converted_image.img -comp lzo -e lib/modules
$ sudo umount /mnt
$ sudo kpartx -d image_you_want_to_convert.img

Do you then take the resultant squashed file and put it onto a USB memory stick? Then use berryboot to add to the card?
RISC OS user 'downunder'

Max

Re: Berryboot v1.1 - Boot menu / OS installer

Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:10 am

furrysalamander wrote:Where do I get the 512mb compatible version?!?
Link in first post of thread.

Max

Re: Berryboot v1.1 - Boot menu / OS installer

Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:12 am

rmac wrote:$ sudo kpartx -av image_you_want_to_convert.img
I understand the image part BUT where do you put the image so that this process can start? Does the .img file go on the desktop? in a folder?

How do you know if you have kpartx and mksquashfs ? I'm using Debian/raspbian!
If you do not have a regular desktop computer running Linux, converting large operating system images is not for you.
Will take all night on a Pi.

furrysalamander
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:12 am

Re: Berryboot v1.1 - Boot menu / OS installer

Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:14 am

I already downloaded that one I think, and It only showed 256mb of ram. Maybe I need to inspect more closely

Return to “General discussion”