drdagor

LOGO: An oldie but goodie.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:44 pm

Thirty years ago -- Pre Scratch -- a great little first language for young coders was LOGO. Also from the MIT lab courtesy of Seymour Pappert, LOGO remains a wonderful learning environment.

The source code of this language is openly available. But it requires a port. Any interest in bringing this gem to the RPi environment?

jburke71

Re: LOGO: An oldie but goodie.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:45 pm

drdagor wrote:Thirty years ago -- Pre Scratch -- a great little first language for young coders was LOGO. Also from the MIT lab courtesy of Seymour Pappert, LOGO remains a wonderful learning environment.

The source code of this language is openly available. But it requires a port. Any interest in bringing this gem to the RPi environment?
There's a package for UCBLogo. In a terminal window type: sudo apt-get install ucblogo

I've installed it on my RPI, but I haven't played with it too much yet, so I can't say how it compares to the windows version. There's a great set of free books on Logo here: http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~bh/logo.html

I hope this helps.

DavidS

Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:34 am

Greate, And for a logo interpreter for RISC OS? I understand that a number of people will be using Linux, though it does not make any sence to me to just assume that a given person will be running a given OS.

And I would like to see a complete LOGO on RISC OS. I know a few people that may get interested in Programming if LOGO were used as the gateway.

And LOGO whas thefirst languag that I did alot in back when I was 5 and 6.
The Raspberry Pi is an ARM based computer, that runs many different and varied Operating Systems, including Linux, RISC OS, BSD, as well as many more.

jburke71

Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:08 am

I have no idea about what implementations are available for RISC OS (I couldn't find anything after searching for a few minute). UCBLogo has the source included, so it's possible that someone might be able to port it. You might try asking in the RISC OS forum, someone there might have a better idea of what might be available.

[email protected]

Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:16 am

How much of Logo do you actually want?

Most of the Logo teaching & use I saw way back then was to do nothing more than play with turtle graphics, although there were a few using the language for general purpose computing.

And it is possible to write a logo-like turtle graphics lnterpreter in BASIC - I wrote one on the Apple II 30 years ago, so it ought to be easier & faster under BBC Basic (under e.g. RISC OS). Because I like turtle graphics I put them into my own BASIC (which runs very well on the Pi) although I did seriously consider writing a Logo system at the time...

Logo:

Code: Select all

to square
  repeat 4 [ forward 100 right 90 ]
end
vs. (RTB)

Code: Select all

def proc square
local i
for i = 1 to 4 cycle
  move (100)
  right (90)
repeat
endproc
I've actually forgotten the exact syntax I used in my turtle interpreter on the Apple, so I'd have to boot up my Apple II to check (then wait 5 miuntes as it wasn't exactly quick ;-)

-Gordon
--
Gordons projects: https://projects.drogon.net/

jburke71

Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:01 am

[email protected] wrote: Most of the Logo teaching & use I saw way back then was to do nothing more than play with turtle graphics, although there were a few using the language for general purpose computing.
It's really too bad that this language constantly gets relegated to a graphics toy. Logo is, in my opinion, probably one of the best first-language that someone can learn. Serious topics like recursion, higher-order functions, functional programming and anonymous functions are much easier to learn in Logo than many other languages. It's basis on Lisp (which becomes evident once you move past turtle graphics) makes it a powerful platform to learn complex computer science ideas. I really wish I had learned Logo before Basic when I was a kid. Recursion about killed me when I was first introduced to it in a college C class. And, many languages (Perl comes to mind) use a mutated form of higher-order functions that makes it harder to understand what's really happening (or what should be happening).

All in all, I wish this language would make a comeback, but it probably isn't going to happen. Brian Harvey's book "Symbolic Computing" is so thoroughly enjoyable to read that I've compared his explanation of higher-order functions to poetry (it's free on the net, by they way, here: http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~bh/v1-toc2.html).

My only gripe about Logo (along with Scheme and Lisp, or any functional language) deals with functional programming and its difficulty coping with complex data structures. Functional purity is interesting, but seemingly impossible in the real world from my perspective.

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox. Sorry for the minor rant =).

Vortexman

Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:15 am

Hello,
You can use a modern web logo interpreter that you can find at http://www.logointerpreter.com.
Best regards,

wbhiginbotham

Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:30 pm

Logo is available under Add/Remove Software called "dialect of lisp using turtle graphics famous for teaching kids" - ucblogo-6.0+dfsg-1

Return to “Other programming languages”