mji

(solved) changes preventing booting of old SD card image?

Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:48 am

I have an old SD card image that I bought along with a raspberry pi back in June or so (Debian was preloaded onto the card). Very recently, I bought several new blank cards and a several new raspberry pis. I copied the SD card multiple times and tested each copy in the original, working raspberry pi--every duplicate worked perfectly. However, the duplicates would not boot in the newer raspberry pis... They simply output no video at all. Has something substantial changed in the hardware where a disk image from a few months ago will not boot in the newer raspberry pi units?
Thanks,
Michael

eupton
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Hardware changes preventing booting of old SD card image

Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:28 am

Yes - you'll need updated firmware if you want to boot your image on a 512MB Pi. We had to add entries to the table of supported SDRAM devices to cope with the new Samsung 4Gbit part.

Liamthe1st

Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:02 am

I went to Adafruit.com and Lady Ada had the information to sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade . that done both boards still can not fire up USB so where is the code syntax to make my two useless Pi +s work? :?
Dit Dah Dit Dah Dit

drgeoff

Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:50 am

Liamthe1st wrote:I went to Adafruit.com and Lady Ada had the information to sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade . that done both boards still can not fire up USB so where is the code syntax to make my two useless Pi +s work? :?
If your useless RPis are B+s, you need firmware from 20 June 2014 or later to support the new USB/LAN chip in them.

MrEngman

Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:34 am

drgeoff wrote:
Liamthe1st wrote:I went to Adafruit.com and Lady Ada had the information to sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade . that done both boards still can not fire up USB so where is the code syntax to make my two useless Pi +s work? :?
If your useless RPis are B+s, you need firmware from 20 June 2014 or later to support the new USB/LAN chip in them.
My B+ is working with 3.12.18+ #680 3 May. As I've seen no mention of what firmware to use I decided to find out for myself and so used rpi-update commit id to revert to older firmware versions until the B+ stopped working, or at least not all of it worked.

The B+ appeared to boot with some older versions of 3.12.18+, due the the activity I saw on the ACT LED, but the USB and ethernet did not come up. Reverting to 3.12.18+ #680 and the B+ was fully functional.

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

Liamthe1st

Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:59 am

:D
drgeoff wrote:
Yes that is the answer r Pi update first and all working!
Dit Dah Dit Dah Dit

Return to “Troubleshooting”