Have you / do you have problems with Win32 DiskImager?

Yes, used to
6%
Yes, now and can't write still
No votes
Yes, and used an alternative
22%
No, I used an alternative
6%
No, I used DiskImager fine
67%

Total votes: 18
cyborg4

Cannot write .img to reader for 4GB SDHC in Win32 DiskImager

Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:07 pm

Important information listed in bold.

I have waited four and a half months for my Pi, and then when it turns up I can't use it! I am using Win32 DiskImager and have just performed a scandisk on my SDHC card ( that I have plugged in through a USB SDHC adapter ) via the GUI. I now am unable to write to the card via Win32 DiskImager or dd for Windows, and yet I can still write files to the SDHC in Windows Explorer. I am using a Sony SDHC C4 4GB with the product number SF-4B4. ( The official Sony support page for this product is at http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/sf-4b4 ). Can anyone help? I am using a Windows 7 32bit OS.

:? :( :cry:

Burngate

Re: Cannot write .img to reader for 4GB SDHC in Win32 DiskIm

Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:26 pm

I can't help, because I've never encountered a problem. I've used win32diskimager on both XP and 7 without a problem!

The only thing I have seen, and do so each time, is an error message because it wants the card dismounted. I just ignore that!

Sorry!

redhawk

Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:34 pm

If you cannot flash a 4GB+ SD card don't blame the software it's usually non-compliant SDHC card readers that are the problem.
A simple solution would be to upgrade your SD card reader like the ones sold in Poundland.

Richard S.

cyborg4

Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:19 am

redhawk wrote:If you cannot flash a 4GB+ SD card don't blame the software it's usually non-compliant SDHC card readers that are the problem.
A simple solution would be to upgrade your SD card reader like the ones sold in Poundland.

Richard S.
My card reader works fine! I can still transfer files to and from the card!

Wheel_nut

Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:31 am

Cyborg4, You should take Redhawk's advice and try a different SD Card to USB adapter.

Many Laptops have SD Card slots which work when reading and writing using Windows Explorer but are NOT recognised by Win32DiskImager. I use MicroSD cards and find that a SD Card to USB adapter plugged into a USB socket works very reliably.

cyborg4

Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:59 pm

Wheel_nut wrote:Cyborg4, You should take Redhawk's advice and try a different SD Card to USB adapter.

Many Laptops have SD Card slots which work when reading and writing using Windows Explorer but are NOT recognised by Win32DiskImager. I use MicroSD cards and find that a SD Card to USB adapter plugged into a USB socket works very reliably.
Thanks, but I am using a USB adaptor, and not a built-in reader. I have used this on other computers, although just to transfer files, without a problem. Are you saying it is that type of reader that doesn't work? Or should mine work fine?

P.S. DD for Windows doesn't work on it either!

Wheel_nut

Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:22 pm

Yes, Win32DiskImager seems to be fussy about SD Card adapters. Some work and some don't.

In Win32DiskImager, after you select the source Image file using the Browse button, then click on the destination drive button at the RHS of the panel, it should give you a choice of any available drives to write to. If nothing shows up, try a different adapter and/or SD Card.

cyborg4

Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:46 pm

Wheel_nut wrote:Yes, Win32DiskImager seems to be fussy about SD Card adapters. Some work and some don't.

In Win32DiskImager, after you select the source Image file using the Browse button, then click on the destination drive button at the RHS of the panel, it should give you a choice of any available drives to write to. If nothing shows up, try a different adapter and/or SD Card.
It does give me the device, but then it just gives me an error when I press 'Write'! :?

Wheel_nut

Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:50 pm

What Windows Version are you using?

XP+SP3? Vista+SP2? Windows 7? or Windows 8?

Is it 32Bit or 64Bit?

Dweeber

Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:01 pm

I use MicroSDHC cards with SDCard adapters. I just had a brand new card that had problems writting.... this is out of more than 8 other cards that I use. Played around with it for a couple days.... opened another brand new card and it worked fine.

Not all cards work for writing images... and it is sometimes not the same thing as using it for windows.

I had another one which I could write to all day long, but could never read from it to make a backup. Worked great in the Raspberry.. but I was never able to back up the disk to an image. Would get to around 3.4gb and then freeze with a semaphore error.... Stuff happens.

If you can't get that card to work, try another.

BTW I tried a number of solutions to get both of these card issues to work, Win32diskimager (several different versions), DD for Windows, Roadkil's Disk Image (Dangerous Tool), Linux.... eventually I tried it on another box and had the same exact issues...tried a new card... no problems
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...
My RPI Info Pages including Current Setup - http://rpi.tnet.com

SiriusHardware

Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:43 pm

cyborg4 wrote:Important information listed in bold.

I have waited four and a half months for my Pi, and then when it turns up I can't use it! I am using Win32 DiskImager and have just performed a scandisk on my SDHC card ( that I have plugged in through a USB SDHC adapter ) via the GUI. I now am unable to write to the card via Win32 DiskImager or dd for Windows, and yet I can still write files to the SDHC in Windows Explorer. I am using a Sony SDHC C4 4GB with the product number SF-4B4. ( The official Sony support page for this product is at http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/sf-4b4 ). Can anyone help? I am using a Windows 7 32bit OS.

:? :( :cry:
Hi CB4 - sorry to even have to suggest this, but is it possible that the sliding 'lock' switch on the card has somehow moved to the 'locked' position since you did your various operations on the card in Windows?

Working in Windows, try reformatting the card: With the card in the reader and the reader in the computer, use a file browser / navigator (such as Windows Explorer) to look at the drives on your system. Right-click on the icon for the drive/reader with the card in it, and select 'Format'. If offered the choice of 'Quick Format', reject that choice / uncheck that box so that Windows will fully reformat the card.

Alternatively, if you have access to a digital camera which can use SDHC cards, put the card in the camera and use the camera's 'format card' feature to format it - it will probably create some unwanted folders (such as 'DCIM') on the card, but don't worry about that - once Win32DiskImager is able to 'see' the card it will overwrite everything on it anyway.

Either way, see if win32 DiskImager is now able to write to the card. Incidentally: Win32DiskImager nearly always comes up with an error message about the media being 'in use' when first run. Just click OK to make that go away, and then carry on.

NigeH

Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:09 pm

I can recommend using berryboot.
Simple as you put one file on the card from windows and boot the pi from that - select what you want in the menus and it will build the card for you on the pi.

itsonlyme

Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:45 pm

For those having problems. The alternative I use is Roadkills Disk Imager from http://www.roadkil.net/program.php/P12/Disk%20Image

I find it works most of the time. On the occasions it does not I find that using the "restore device for formatting" button on the Raspbmc installer fixes the card without reformatting. In fact reformatting seems to cause problems.

Malcolm

Dweeber

Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:19 am

itsonlyme wrote:For those having problems. The alternative I use is Roadkills Disk Imager from http://www.roadkil.net/program.php/P12/Disk%20Image
Good tool... however BE VERY CAREFUL when using it. Unlike Win32diskimager which defaults only to inserted removable drives, Roadkil defaults to Drive C which can make for a very bad day if you are not paying attention. It also references to drive letters and then Physical Drives which might confuse some.

Use with care.
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...
My RPI Info Pages including Current Setup - http://rpi.tnet.com

itsonlyme

Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:05 am

I echo Dweebers words of caution. Check everything before you press "start".

Normally you would be using the Physical Drives which are the numbered drives in the bottom part of the list.

Malcolm

Rushy

Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:15 am

I had the same issue at one point using an old Vista machine, all i did to solve the issue was do a quick format on the SD card and the Disk Imager would write the img file ok.

cyborg4

Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:09 pm

Wheel_nut wrote:What Windows Version are you using?

XP+SP3? Vista+SP2? Windows 7? or Windows 8?

Is it 32Bit or 64Bit?
Sorry about long time replying - getting a lot of spam users on my social network! :( Win7 32bit is the OS.

cyborg4

Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:15 pm

SiriusHardware wrote: Hi CB4 - sorry to even have to suggest this, but is it possible that the sliding 'lock' switch on the card has somehow moved to the 'locked' position since you did your various operations on the card in Windows?

Working in Windows, try reformatting the card: With the card in the reader and the reader in the computer, use a file browser / navigator (such as Windows Explorer) to look at the drives on your system. Right-click on the icon for the drive/reader with the card in it, and select 'Format'. If offered the choice of 'Quick Format', reject that choice / uncheck that box so that Windows will fully reformat the card.

Alternatively, if you have access to a digital camera which can use SDHC cards, put the card in the camera and use the camera's 'format card' feature to format it - it will probably create some unwanted folders (such as 'DCIM') on the card, but don't worry about that - once Win32DiskImager is able to 'see' the card it will overwrite everything on it anyway.

Either way, see if win32 DiskImager is now able to write to the card. Incidentally: Win32DiskImager nearly always comes up with an error message about the media being 'in use' when first run. Just click OK to make that go away, and then carry on.
No, the lock switch definetely isn't on because I can format it. However, I just reformatted and ran Win32 DiskImager and it gives me an Error 3 : The system cannot find the path specified. I am pointing it to a .IMG on a network drive, could this be to do with it?
Thanks so much for your prompt responses, everyone! :D :D :D

Jim JKla

Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:31 pm

There is just the posibility you have a flaky SD card I've used a number of readers cards of various sizes win32DiskImager dd and I have had some work with one and not another.

My most relyable has been a poundland adaptor thats done everything from a 1g R Razor image through 2 and 4g upto a 32 micro SD in an adaptor SD card.

All have worked. ;)
Last edited by Jim JKla on Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

properphatboy

Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:32 pm

Just to add my 2p, I'd had no probs with any of my SD cards until I came to reformat one last night and none of the windows disk management stuff would touch it!

So I used HP's SD card format tool (it's not even an HP reader or card) and it worked perfectly. There are ones by other manufacturers too.

Just another tool that's worth a try. ;)

And if still no joy, I picked up a couple of 4GB SD cards from Tesco fro £3.50 each the other day, which wasn't bad for having them to use straight away.

cyborg4

Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:02 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D WAHEY! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I've solved it! The problem was that I was directing Win32 DiskImager to a IMG on a mapped network share! The minute I switched the IMG file location to the main HDD on the PC, the problem was solved!!! Please anyone else using corporate networks to image the RPi, take note. This may solve your problem!
:D :D :D :D

Wheel_nut

Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:20 pm

Well done! I hope you enjoy your Pi as much as the rest of us do. :P

NathanBookham

Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:04 am

cyborg4 wrote::D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D WAHEY! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I've solved it! The problem was that I was directing Win32 DiskImager to a IMG on a mapped network share! The minute I switched the IMG file location to the main HDD on the PC, the problem was solved!!! Please anyone else using corporate networks to image the RPi, take note. This may solve your problem!
:D :D :D :D
Windows has always been funny about network drives. I don't know why, but it doesn't treat it as a storage device, but as some strange proprietary device. Also, your network probably isn't fast enough to access a 2GB image file, unless you have CAT6 run around your house (very expensive :().
Glad you got it working! Happy Piing!
This account is now inactive.
I am now known as 'InverseSandwich'

Return to “Beginners”