ccraftus

Steady RED light after few minutes

Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:22 am

I finally received my Raspberry PI and unpacked it today. It seems to work great, but after a few minutes it locks-up and gives a steady RED light. I've tried Raspian "wheezy" (2012-10-28-wheezy-raspian.img), Soft-float Debian "wheezy" (2012-08-08-wheezy-armel.img) and they both lock-up. I can startx, fire up the browser and navigate to a web page, but gotta move fast because it locks up. It will also lockup with just Linux shell prompt (without startx). I got Arch Linux ARM (archlinux-hf-2012-09-18.img) working in a stable manner, but I really need the full O/S with graphical interface.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

joan

Re: Steady RED light after few minutes

Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:51 am

Sounds like a faulty device or a faulty power supply.

captainhooyah

Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:48 pm

Hey, if you have an LED mouse, flip it over and watch what the light does. If it turns off for a second then turns on, then turns off, then turns back on, but eventually stays off, then you and I and at least one other person here are having the same problem. Check out my posts if you're interested. I'm not some pi expert, but it seems to me like there is a bad USB chip or something judging by the voltages I get at TP1 and TP2 my power supply is fine. It also seems like something tries to turn on and off a couple times but eventually gives up all together and shuts down completely.

I doubt I can contact anyone about it today (sunday).

ccraftus

Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:13 pm

Yes, same behavior on the optical mouse light, which goes dark, turns on again a few times, then goes dark when it goes red-light. It locks up like this with the mouse disconnected. I also removed the USB hub. I'm using a Dell mouse & keyboard and both are rated at 100mA. My power supply also seems to be adequate.

tonym1867

Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:59 am

I ordered 3 raspberry pi's a while back from Element 14 / Newark and just received them this week. This weekend, I took the first one out of the box to test it out and sure enough, I am experiencing the same problem stated above whereby I get between 1-3 minutes of use before I just get a steady red light on the unit. I've tried with several builds (OpenELEC, Xbian, Raspbian, Raspmc) and all are experiencing the same problem. The only USB device plugged in is a low powered dongle for my mouse/keyboard. My ethernet cable is also plugged in and during those 1-3 minutes, both work. I have noticed (intriguingly enough) that once the light goes steady red on the pi, can no longer use my mouse/keyboard (tried plugging a low powered mouse directly to the pi instead of my dongle with the same result)..... however, I waited several minutes and noticed that the time is still incrementing in XBMC so it appears as though the OS is still running (somewhat)....

I've tried the other 2 other raspberry pi's I purchased and received at the same time and neither are exhibiting this problem.... :(

Dweeber

Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:02 am

The Red LED is a PWR light. It should not be blinking. The Red LED should go on when you plug power into the unit and go off when you remove power. As long as it has power it should be on even if you have shutdown the Linux OS that is running on the unit. Even then, the Red LED stays lit.

From the troubleshooting page:
The red power LED should never blink, because it is hard-wired to the 3.3V power supply rail. If it is blinking, as one user has reported it means the 5V power supply is dropping out. Use a different power supply.
The Green ACT light blinks when there is activity on the disk. But ONLY when there is activity on the disk. So if the process is running and is not reading or writing to the disk, there will not be any blinking Green light.

More info...
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... s_blinking
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...
My RPI Info Pages including Current Setup - http://rpi.tnet.com

captainhooyah

Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:13 am

I think he was just trying to say there is no activity light blinking. Just the red power light, staring at you, saying "I'm a raspberry pi, and I seem to be working fine except for the fact that you can't use my usb after about 1-3 minutes, I hope you enjoyed typing your password in, check out my desktop or my terminal prompt while you continue to tear your hair out reading forum posts that tell you it's something wrong with a F1 F2 F3 or your power supply".

I've been waiting forever for one of these things, now I've bought it and I can't use it for more than 5 minutes. They should really give me a shirt or a mug or something to compensate for my emotional hardships. It was my birthday today, all I wanted was to mess around with my pi. Raspberry pi shattered my dreams and ruined my 29th birthday. I even had raspberry pie and ice cream to celebrate. This is the worst thing that has ever happened to me.

drgeoff

Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:11 pm

captainhooyah wrote:This is the worst thing that has ever happened to me.
Unless you are an extremely lucky person, be prepared for much worse things to happen to you before your life is over.

captainhooyah

Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:17 pm

That was sarcasm.

This forum seems almost useless on this subject.

Its not a power issue, its obviously a defective unit.

No matter what, people will say its a power issue. Even if i spilled water on it someone would make a post about.the power supply. Its not a power issue, its raspberry pi trying to mass produce a product in a rush. If power was such an issue you think they could provide you with a decent power supply. Guess i should have read the forums before i wasted time.. Im happy to pay more for something that works.

captainhooyah

Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:22 pm

sorry I'm cranky in the morning and I was frustrated that thing didn't work. the forum is far from useless on the subject. if this happens to your chances are defective board like Joan said. send it back ASAP because you'll have to wait another couple weeks to get another one.

I cant wait.

I love you guys.

captainhooyah

Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:27 am

Today I was looking through a box of trash for the box my defective Pi came in so I could return it, when there was a knock at my door.

I went out there and there was a package on the steps, I opened it and it was a raspberry pi... I have no idea why it was sent to my house... The only thing I can think of is I signed up for some waiting list a while back, and I forgot or something, but the past couple days with this pi have been crazy...
I'm totally serious... I was all bummed out, getting ready to send it back, and knock knock knock. Raspberry Pi fairy.

It's working great, I am happy... Thank you Raspberry Pi fairy.

drgeoff

Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:11 pm

captainhooyah wrote:Today I was looking through a box of trash for the box my defective Pi came in so I could return it, when there was a knock at my door.

I went out there and there was a package on the steps, I opened it and it was a raspberry pi... I have no idea why it was sent to my house... The only thing I can think of is I signed up for some waiting list a while back, and I forgot or something, but the past couple days with this pi have been crazy...
I'm totally serious... I was all bummed out, getting ready to send it back, and knock knock knock. Raspberry Pi fairy.

It's working great, I am happy... Thank you Raspberry Pi fairy.
If you have forgotten about ordering it, you have probably also forgotten about paying for it. :lol:

Folker416

Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 am

Does anyone have a solution for this? I received two boards, one runs for almost 10 minutes, the other not even one. It is very frustrating as I waited a long time for these boards!

verm71

Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:34 pm

Folker416 wrote:Does anyone have a solution for this? I received two boards, one runs for almost 10 minutes, the other not even one. It is very frustrating as I waited a long time for these boards!
Lots of people have reported this, including myself. I've asked Newark/Element 14 what to do last Friday. No response yet.

Other threads with similar issues:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 28&t=24667
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 28&t=24562
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 28&t=24424
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 28&t=22281
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 28&t=20657

cutterjohn

Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:23 pm

Folker416 wrote:Does anyone have a solution for this? I received two boards, one runs for almost 10 minutes, the other not even one. It is very frustrating as I waited a long time for these boards!
If you mean it boots up and runs for a few minutes to a couple of hours(I'm guessing on that as I left it on overnight and checked the time when my ssh connect from notebook was severed) then spontaneously shuts down? Then yes. My new 512MB does this using the same card/PSU/keyboard that my old 256M would run stable on for weeks.

I even went so far as to decrease the overclock slightly 1G -> 950M in an attempt to see if possibly the 512MB was drawing just enough more power than the 256MB was such that the PSU wasn't able to handle it, but that's went it went from staying up for a "while" to practically spontaneously shutting down after booting up, i.e. it stayed up long enough for me to log in then presto shutdown.

Nothing in the logs unfortunately, and not surprisingly.

This was a made in China from Newark, received a week ago Thursday. I suspect Chinese "quality"(i.e. luck of the draw) at play here. Not really worth paying to send it back for a replacement, so I'll just end up ordering a new one eventually.

ccraftus

Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:25 pm

To clarify, when I said "steady red light", that meant nothing BUT the steady red light. All other lights go dark. No activity. I decided to swap-out the SD for one of the "known good" SD cards listed at http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals#SD_cards. That seems to have fixed the problem.

cutterjohn

Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:42 pm

ccraftus wrote:To clarify, when I said "steady red light", that meant nothing BUT the steady red light. All other lights go dark. No activity. I decided to swap-out the SD for one of the "known good" SD cards listed at http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals#SD_cards. That seems to have fixed the problem.
That's what I expected, however only the red LED on just means that it's powered, not necessarily running as happens in my case boots -> spontaneously shuts down after some random amount of time.

However in my case I know that the card is good(runs fine for days on my 256M, does boot the 512M) leaving only the possibility of the 850mA supply not being quite enough for the 512M(which I doubt as when it powers down spontaneously it's never been under load as it hasn't stayed up long enough most times to do anything) or it's just from a bad batch(which I find to be more believable given the erratic spontaneous powering down after booting).

Still not really worth paying to have it shipped back, so as in my original post I'll wait a month or two and try ordering a 2nd 512M,

Return to “Troubleshooting”