losojos

Re: Windows CE 6

Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:31 am

Hi all,

this is my first post so apologies if this has already been covered.

I was just wondering whether Windows CE 6 would run on the Raspberry Pi? I can see no reason why not, but thought I\'d pose the question to those of you with more knowledge on the matter.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

LosOjos

Montekuri

Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:37 am

Read the www.raspberrypi.org/faqs]FAQs:
Will it run WINE (or Windows, or other x86 software)?
No.

kme

Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:53 am

[quote]Quote from losojos on December 6, 2011, 09:31
I was just wondering whether Windows CE 6 would run on the Raspberry Pi? I can see no reason why not, but thought I\'d pose the question to those of you with more knowledge on the matter.[/quote]It won\'t. CE 6 will never run on 256 MB and there will be no video driver either unless MS themselves will supply it (read: very unlikely).

hlt32

Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:01 am

The FAQ is talking about Windows builds for x86 architectures.

Windows CE is ARM compatible.

tntexplosivesltd

Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:17 am

Wow, another windows thread. Does no-one use the search function any more?
Why would anyone want to run windows on a $25 GNU/Linux box?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:39 am

[quote]Quote from hlt32 on December 6, 2011, 10:01
The FAQ is talking about Windows builds for x86 architectures.

Windows CE is ARM compatible.[/quote]

Although it is compatible, it doesn\'t mean it will just work on any arbitrary Arm box. There is a lot of work to get all the drivers etc working - these sort of things are not standardised across all the Arm platforms, unlike PC\'s, so you often need to do new drivers for each new platform.

That work would need to be done, probably by Microsoft, and they are very unlikely to want to do that.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

hlt32

Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:48 am

All true - but it is still theoretically possible.

tufty

Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:52 am

[quote]Quote from jamesh on December 6, 2011, 10:39
That work would need to be done, probably by Microsoft, and they are very unlikely to want to do that.[/quote]
I\'m not certain, but it was my understanding that the CE family came with a set of tools for developing BSPs, as documented here : http://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedde ... tails.aspx
(Not that I\'d recommend anyone actually do this. It\'s not called \"wince\" for nothing)

I might also point out that, were MS to suddenly find their ownership of the education space threatened by a $25 SBC, they might well find the it worth the development time to pollute it with their toxic crapware, in the same way it suddenly became possible to run XP on netbooks...

Simon

Montekuri

Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:01 pm

Windows on Raspberry Pi are plenty discussed in other threads:
- Any plans to support WindowsCE?
- Windows CE 5.0?
- Windows 8?

obarthelemy

Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:19 pm

We\'re all bored waiting for the boards, so rehashing old stuff is a nice distraction ^^

rwaltman

Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:33 pm

<rant> It would be nice if questions about Windows CE, (or any other subject,) were answered by people that actually know what they are talking about </rant>

Windows CE could run in the R-PI without any problem. (It supports ARM, MIPS, SH4 and x86 processors.) A 256Mbyte memory is huge compared with what many WinCE systems have.

To port WinCE to a new board/processor/architecture a new BSP (\"Board Support Package\") needs to be written or modified. A BSP contains mainly the drivers and bootloader, but the concept may be extended to include programming and configuration utilities etc., or anything required to get the system going.

The BSP is typically made not by Microsoft, but by (a) Chip manufacturers. (b) Board manufacturers. (c) Third party software houses. (d) Stubborn individuals. (Microsoft provides a couple of sample BSPs though)
Everything is documented in Microsoft’s web sites, but they make it sound easier than it is. Developing a BSP is *not* a small undertaking, in particular if not all the hardware details are known, as is the case with the Raspberry-Pi

Finally, it is wrong to consider WinCE as an another desktop OS alternative – It is not, it is an embedded OS. You may be using it all the time without knowing. Think GPS systems, elevator control systems, security alarms, irrigation systems, microwave ovens, printers, home automation, your TV and audio receiver, etc. Any modern piece of consumer electronic equipment may be running WinCE inside, just do not expect to see Microsoft or Windows logos on it. (I personally used it for industrial infrared cameras and remote controls for video distribution systems.)
--
Roberto Waltman

mental2k

Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:45 pm

I\'m not sure what the massive hate about porting CE to ras-pi is. Surely this kind of project is exactly what rap-pi is all about learning how to code and learning how computers work. What better way than writing drivers and porting an OS.

fireraisr

Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:24 pm

mental2k said:

I\"m not sure what the massive hate about porting CE to ras-pi is. Surely this kind of project is exactly what rap-pi is all about learning how to code and learning how computers work. What better way than writing drivers and porting an OS.

While I agree with this sentiment, the second I saw the title of this topic my brain screamed "Why?!?"

I understand some people love their mobile OS but CE is definitely not the way to get kids into programming. I can still remember my first experiences with CE, it was only through sheer determination and the fact that my job forced me to trudge forward that I finally worked through it's quirks.

The Pi is a learning platform and should not be limited by peoples fear of the unknown. Besides, CE is not the Windows many people know and love.

I say no thanks.

Hiro

Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:54 pm

I personally wouldn't want to run windows on a Pi but there again i'm sure that many people out there would have no interest at all in doing the things i want to do. So long as someone is capable of doing whatever it is they want to do and don't expect someone else to do it for them then wish them luck and let them get on with it. What is it they say? Variety is the spice of live.

I hope someone manages to get CE, Android etc working even if poorly just so they can say "I did that".

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:45 pm

Hiro said:

...I hope someone manages to get CE, Android etc working even if poorly just so they can say "I did that".

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who got WinCE up and running on the Pi should be Clarksonned for crimes against humanity.  Android is a different matter, at least its possible to develop for Android without jumping through the arcane Microsoft hoops that are mandated for CE.

Anyhow its possible to get the WinCE experience on 50 quid netbook devices.  Look 'em up on Amazon.  Its an eye-opener!
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

jamesh

Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:12 pm

Despite what people think of CE, if anyone out there want to port it to the Raspi, they are more than welcome. Once you've bought a board - you can do with it what you like! We can give only a minimal amount of help though, since we know nothing about Windows CE, and won't be doing any porting ourselves.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

David Calvo

Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:58 pm

There are many Chinese thin client with Windows CE. RaspBerryPi has much more useful.

Ej:

http://eglobal2009.en.made-in-.....630H-.html

Chinese trash

lewmur

Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:33 pm

LosOjos said:

Hi all,

this is my first post so apologies if this has already been covered.

I was just wondering whether Windows CE 6 would run on the Raspberry Pi? I can see no reason why not, but thought I\"d pose the question to those of you with more knowledge on the matter.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

LosOjos

WinCE could be ported (with some work) to the R Pi but the question is why would you want to?  I have a zt-180 10" tablet that someone got to boot WinCE 6 and I tried it just for the fun of it.  Terrible experience!!  And if you are thinking that because CE is a Windows OS it will run most Windows apps, think again.  Very few Windows apps will run with CE.

C

Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:53 pm

Read the posts again. The tablet is very "atypical" application for WinCE6 - most of the devices running Windows CE are embedded devices as mentioned above. There are millions of devices (phones (mobile and landline), GPS receivers, cars, ATMs, robots, terminals, workforce management etc etc ...) happily running it without users noticing its dull "placeholder" desktop.

There is absolutely no reason why R-Pi SHOULDN'T be used for those applications as well.

jamesh

Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:56 pm

C said:

Read the posts again. The tablet is very "atypical" application for WinCE6 - most of the devices running Windows CE are embedded devices as mentioned above. There are millions of devices (phones (mobile and landline), GPS receivers, cars, ATMs, robots, terminals, workforce management etc etc ...) happily running it without users noticing its dull "placeholder" desktop.

There is absolutely no reason why R-Pi SHOULDN'T be used for those applications as well.

Correct, no reason except someone would have to port it to work on the Raspi. That isn't going to be done by the foundation, so it's up to the community. I personally think there is very little benefit to it when you can already run Linux, but hey, that's just me.

smithjg

Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:42 am

You can run Linux - great - but when did it become a real time operating system ?

I program in c - but c# (on the .net compact framework) is nice for teaching (IMHO) and you dont need Mono for x,y,z

The Visual studio dev tools can be free once CE is there - and its closer to mainstream desktop development than c code. Its certainly closer to real time software development (with the tools that Microsoft give away) with development being for a target rather than on the dev machine itself.

Not that I will port it myself you understand - but once its real time and low cost with a graphical interface and low power the world can be its oyster -for "device" developers in the Real world - rather than the desktop wussy development most people play at.:)

smithjg

Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:49 am

Of course at a moments reflection - Wince is useful on the Pi as a teaching tool and allowing cheap devices in the field - but the the development is done on a PC - the dev tools don't run on the Pi Itself.

Alchemy

Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:52 pm

I've got no problems with Windows CE. I hope I'm platform blind.

However. If someone wants a device with a screen. Cheap Android tablet is the way to go on current spec and prices. Or whatever phone you already own.

I think RasPi is there to learn. Then you are free. I hope people feel confident enough to be platform blind. And not get platform loyal.

Smartybones

Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:26 pm

Windows CE on a pi... you may ask whats the point, but you can ask the mountain climber why he climbs mountains... he will tell you because its their !

The pi is a learning aid, not just for programming, but for all aspects of computing. If you can take the windows CE files and shoehorn them into a RPi to get it working, even badly,  then you will have learned the skills you need to get it working on whatever platform.

If you do port the windows CE os to the Pi, can you document it and post it on the forums?

danielverza

Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:20 am

DISCLAIMER

Some things should be clarified for the newbies about Windows CE:

It's NOT Windows (as you know it).

It won't run any "for windows" software.

It just looks like something between Windows 3.11 and Windows 95.

Aside from the fact that IMHO Win CE is a piece of crap, there is something else to be considered. I didn't see any mention of this, so here it goes…

Doesn't Win CE need a license to be used ???  Is it possible for individuals to get those ??

Because otherwise this discussion should be stopped right now ! (I believe the Foundation is against piracy !)

Return to “General discussion”