CaptInsano

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:37 pm

drgeoff wrote:
castalla wrote:The new binaries (version 0.4beta2) were only posted on 25/11 ... , then I guess the install gets the old version as 5.05 came out a while ago.
Ah, you want the latest version written by the author of Squeezelite as opposed to the latest version bundled with Squeezeplug. In which case, we both await the pearls of wisdom from others.
I simply downloaded the squeezelite-arm6hf binary from the googlecode downloads page, renamed it to squeezelite and replaced the existing squeezelite binary in /usr/bin, ensured permissions were correct and file was executable and finally rebooted!!

Works perfectly

Hope this helps,
The Capt.

castalla

Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:27 pm

Thanks.

Seems to work okay.

CaptInsano

Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:52 pm

Anyone have any luck getting .m4a tracks to play successfully?

I have both faad and lame installed as per instructions I read somewhere, but Squeezebox still just skips any m4a audio tracks.

Any ideas?

EDIT: I just figured out that I can play .m4a tracks if I change my squeezelite player bitrate settings

squeezeplug:9000 > Settings > Player Settings > Audio Dropdown > Bitrate Limiting

If it is set to unlimited then m4a will NOT play, but if I set it to 320 kbps m4a tracks WILL play.
Is this normal, am I limiting my setup in other ways?

Argon

Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:19 pm

Argon wrote:Strange things in here.
I have to reboot the RasPi each day because after 2 days I cant play anything from squeezeslave (line out). Not a big problem if I use a Cronjob, but i don't hear my problem by other users...

Problem 2. If i don't play any music you hear rustle/noise from the line out (seems to be "normal" on the RasPi), but sometimes I hear also a Spanish (i think) voice... So the LMS plays a Spanish stream without any command to do this. I live i Belgium, so i don't understand Spanish not to mention i will listen to a Spanish radio. Anyone else with this phenomenon ?
No on with this problem? I created also a new thread for Problem 2. It's very strange !
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 35&t=24116

antonholmstedt

Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:32 pm

Am I right in that Spotify only works with soft float? If that is the case, could someone give me a link to the latest one? I've been looking for it a lot but since v 5 is hard float its not easy :)

drgeoff

Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:17 pm

antonholmstedt wrote:Am I right in that Spotify only works with soft float? If that is the case, could someone give me a link to the latest one? I've been looking for it a lot but since v 5 is hard float its not easy :)
See the reply in http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 66#p208066.

truehl

Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:33 pm

antonholmstedt wrote:Am I right in that Spotify only works with soft float? If that is the case, could someone give me a link to the latest one? I've been looking for it a lot but since v 5 is hard float its not easy :)
http://www.squeezeplug.de/downloads/sp_rpi_408b1.zip

I'm working on a SqueezePlug version 5 for Debian SoftFloat.
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

antonholmstedt

Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:40 pm

truehl wrote:

Thanks! Will try tommorrow to get it working with Berryboot :)

.helge

Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:50 pm

Hi,

i just tired to overclock my second RPi using the SP Setup routine without success. I've done this succesfully before with my first RPi (also with the SP setup script).
Just to be sure to be sure I tried it several times in a row, everytime rebooting the device afterwards. No success.
I also did a

Code: Select all

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
before I tried ro apply the SP setup.

Settings in config.txt are adjusted by SP setup correctly to my desired settings. config.org has the old values.

anyone any ideas?

Helge

mikebainbridge

Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:52 am

[quote="Argon"][quote="Argon"]Strange things in here.
I have to reboot the RasPi each day because after 2 days I cant play anything from squeezeslave (line out)./quote]

I have the same problem but with HDMI output from Squeezeslave working on the 'Pi' . The only observation I have is that it's usually after an overnight or 'during the day' length of time that it happens. Killing the Squeezeslave process and re-starting does not fix the problem for me and I need to reboot in order to get sound from the HDMI port. LMS is running fine and other players are fine and work regardless. Any suggestions for 'diagnostic activity' or should I swap to triode's player ?

.helge

Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:12 am

.helge wrote:Hi,

i just tired to overclock my second RPi using the SP Setup routine without success. I've done this succesfully before with my first RPi (also with the SP setup script).Just to be sure to be sure I tried it several times in a row, everytime rebooting the device afterwards. No success.
I also did a

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
before I tried ro apply the SP setup. Settings in config.txt are adjusted by SP setup correctly to my desired settings. config.org has the old values.
anyone any ideas?
Helge
Sorry,
when I add

force_turbo=1 
it works
:oops: it was a little late last night....

But maybe it's an idea to implement this as an option for the setup script of SP.

Bye, H.

castalla

Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:24 am

Is there really any need to run LMS in turbo mode?

Argon

Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:37 am

mikebainbridge wrote: I have the same problem but with HDMI output from Squeezeslave working on the 'Pi' . The only observation I have is that it's usually after an overnight or 'during the day' length of time that it happens. Killing the Squeezeslave process and re-starting does not fix the problem for me and I need to reboot in order to get sound from the HDMI port. LMS is running fine and other players are fine and work regardless. Any suggestions for 'diagnostic activity' or should I swap to triode's player ?
Yesterday I completely restarted. I downloaded the latest image, did an squeezeplug update (505 i think). Installed everything but this time i worked with Squeezelite. I will look if this help or not.

.helge

Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:21 am

castalla wrote:Is there really any need to run LMS in turbo mode?
I'm not sure, but I had problems with the Wifi Dongle (Edimax EW-7811Un). It was rediscovered very often ("found new hardware" in syslog), so that LMS sopped working.
Just out of curiosity I switched to moderate settings (800Mhz). Since then I haven't had any occurrences of that behavior and thus LMS is running quite well.
Still testing...

florca

Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:41 am

CaptInsano wrote:Anyone have any luck getting .m4a tracks to play successfully?

I have both faad and lame installed as per instructions I read somewhere, but Squeezebox still just skips any m4a audio tracks.

Any ideas?

EDIT: I just figured out that I can play .m4a tracks if I change my squeezelite player bitrate settings

squeezeplug:9000 > Settings > Player Settings > Audio Dropdown > Bitrate Limiting

If it is set to unlimited then m4a will NOT play, but if I set it to 320 kbps m4a tracks WILL play.
At present the AAC support in squeezelite will only play "ADTS" AAC streams (eg as provided by Triode's iPlayer LMS Plugin), and not AAC content within an MP4 / M4A etc. container. Assuming that you're using it with a local LMS (as opposed to mysqueezebox,com) then you can disable "native" support for MPEG-4 (suggest transcoding to FLAC?) and enable it for "AAC" within LMS => Settings => Advanced => File Types. This is a universal setting across all players, so if you have a Touch or Radio (the only other clients which support native AAC / MP4) then they will also transcode MP4 on the Server.
The reason that the tracks will play with bitrate limiting is that this is forcing transcode to MP3 on the Server (probably not what you want unless you have a very flaky network?). If the network is OK then you're better off removing bitrate limiting and transcoding to FLAC via the File Types setup. This will also lower server load, as FLAC transcoding uses less CPU than than LAME in my experience.

ypout

Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:35 pm

Argon wrote:
Argon wrote:Strange things in here.
I have to reboot the RasPi each day because after 2 days I cant play anything from squeezeslave (line out). Not a big problem if I use a Cronjob, but i don't hear my problem by other users...

I have the same problem..... :(

Problem 2. If i don't play any music you hear rustle/noise from the line out (seems to be "normal" on the RasPi), but sometimes I hear also a Spanish (i think) voice... So the LMS plays a Spanish stream without any command to do this. I live i Belgium, so i don't understand Spanish not to mention i will listen to a Spanish radio. Anyone else with this phenomenon ?
I don't have this problem :D

No on with this problem? I created also a new thread for Problem 2. It's very strange !
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 35&t=24116

ypout

Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:36 pm

Argon wrote:
mikebainbridge wrote: I have the same problem but with HDMI output from Squeezeslave working on the 'Pi' . The only observation I have is that it's usually after an overnight or 'during the day' length of time that it happens. Killing the Squeezeslave process and re-starting does not fix the problem for me and I need to reboot in order to get sound from the HDMI port. LMS is running fine and other players are fine and work regardless. Any suggestions for 'diagnostic activity' or should I swap to triode's player ?
Yesterday I completely restarted. I downloaded the latest image, did an squeezeplug update (505 i think). Installed everything but this time i worked with Squeezelite. I will look if this help or not.
Please let us know if squeezelite fixes this, thanks.

CaptInsano

Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:50 pm

florca wrote:
CaptInsano wrote:Anyone have any luck getting .m4a tracks to play successfully?

Any ideas?

At present the AAC support in squeezelite will only play "ADTS" AAC streams (eg as provided by Triode's iPlayer LMS Plugin), and not AAC content within an MP4 / M4A etc. container. Assuming that you're using it with a local LMS (as opposed to mysqueezebox,com) then you can disable "native" support for MPEG-4 (suggest transcoding to FLAC?) and enable it for "AAC" within LMS => Settings => Advanced => File Types. This is a universal setting across all players, so if you have a Touch or Radio (the only other clients which support native AAC / MP4) then they will also transcode MP4 on the Server.
The reason that the tracks will play with bitrate limiting is that this is forcing transcode to MP3 on the Server (probably not what you want unless you have a very flaky network?). If the network is OK then you're better off removing bitrate limiting and transcoding to FLAC via the File Types setup. This will also lower server load, as FLAC transcoding uses less CPU than than LAME in my experience.
You are correct about it being a local .m4a file, not mysqueezebox.com. Thanks for this info + help, I have followed you instructions (I think). Could you have a look at the screengrab attached of my Advanced Settings > File Types to see if I have followed your instructions correctly?!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2317434/Screen ... apture.JPG

I have also removed the bitrate limiting on the squeezelite player and it seems to be working alright, but I don't want to find out I have messed up the playing of any other file format!

Thanks again!
The Capt.

florca

Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:32 am

CaptInsano wrote:Could you have a look at the screengrab attached of my Advanced Settings > File Types to see if I have followed your instructions correctly?!
Looks perfect (and identical to mine...)
Phil

CaptInsano

Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:33 am

florca wrote:Looks perfect (and identical to mine...)
Phil
Thanks for that mate!!

The Capt.

cubii

Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:11 am

Hi,
How can i change the audio output from HDMI to analog and back?

tw99

Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:55 pm

truehl wrote:

I'd be interested in beta-ing this when you have something together. Switching to running LMS on the Pi instead of a PC was a big advantage for me, and it's a pain to have to switch back to the PC server just to get decent Spotify access via the Triode plugin...

truehl

Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:00 pm

cubii wrote:Hi,
How can i change the audio output from HDMI to analog and back?
See here: http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... MI_monitor
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

steves999

Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:42 am

I'm more than happy do do some beta testing on hard vs soft float for Spotify.

I've just got LMS running with no problem at all on a RPi B (512). I've been running Squeeze/LMS for some years, most recently on an old SSD netbook using Vortexbox, but looking forward to the low power consumption of the RPi. Lack of spotify is the only thing keeping me running the 2 in parallel at the moment.

hestbank

Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:46 am

tw99 wrote: I'd be interested in beta-ing this when you have something together.
Me too!. Running LMS and Triode's Spotify plug in and Squeezelite is the goal!

Return to “Media centres”