dankia

New products soon?

Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:16 pm

Hi,

I am planning to order a few RaspberryPi systems for my university. However, there are lots of news about Raspberry Pi recently, so I'm wondering if you will have some new products/components (eg. a new board, the camera, etc.) soon? I would like to know so I can wait a bit longer and get the most recent releases.

Thanks!

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: New products soon?

Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:55 pm

There are no major changes destined for the board in the near future - there will be slight revision changes to fix up some remaining issues, but the majority of the device (SoC, memory etc) will remain the same.

The camera board is separate and will attach to any revision of Raspi.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

trn

Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:47 pm

Wandboard with dual cpu, 1G ram, 1Giga network under 100$
Odroid-u(2), quad cpu, 1G or 2G ram for 69$(89$)

What rpi planing? MOre cpu power, more ram?

Gert van Loo

Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:16 pm

wantonemillionandfourblondsinatub.
But I am not going to get that either.

walney

Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:35 am

Gert van Loo wrote:wantonemillionandfourblondsinatub.
That would have to be one helluva big tub...

jamesh

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:38 am

walney wrote:
Gert van Loo wrote:wantonemillionandfourblondsinatub.
That would have to be one helluva big tub...
Worth it though.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

arcanon

Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:05 pm

Awesome thread :)

But seriously, its no pressure on the foundation because I totally understand that its not the main goal to bring more power and doing a camera/ display first is a good priority.

But in the long run, once people have got the basics of programming down, they would like to start building more complicated robots and things with more power. Voice recognition for example. I find its the more complicated things that grab peoples imagination more and thus motivates them to learn more. So this is not a must do it now, but a request that at least the idea is put on the table (but something says its been on the table..).

poglad

Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:01 pm

It seems that the one hard and fast rule of rules that the Foundation are sticking to their guns over is the 35/25 pricing - whatever extras they might be able to give us in future, the price won't shift. And for this I applaud them. :)

scep

Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:05 pm

Thanks poglad :). You're right, the price point is - and always has been - of utmost importance. I think (and I do not speak for the Foundation!) that the "why" of this will become even more evident when the model A comes out and also when the Raspberry Pi moves out of the "development" stage and gets taken up in numbers by anyone and everyone, including users in developing countries.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:21 pm

The RPi is a gateway. There are lots of things it can do, but relatively little that it can do well. That's the nature of a cheap educational project. It can be clustered, it can do robotics, it can run web-servers. All these things require different capabilities to do well. Boards are out there that have those sorts of capabilities. They are more expensive and more difficult to use, but interested users will be able to make use of them after learning the basics on the RPi.

svennd

Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:35 pm

Need more ram ? Your (ab)using your PI, its not ment for that.
Need more CPU ? Grab a coffee.

Only thing I would have loved in this computer is a internal storage, but SD cards really provide advantages aswell. (swapping over multiple pi's)

I don't think pi "doesn't do anything well", it just does everything a bit slower. But does it perfectly.

denhamflyer

Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:20 pm

I like the fact that the foundation set a target price and built the best device they could which achieved that. It makes sense for future products from the foundation not to have CPU/memory targets but a price target. Now they have demonstrated such an unprecedented demand for their product, maybe the next one will have a $10 or $15 target. Each time they make it cheaper the more likely it is to end up in the hands of a kid somewhere.....

Return to “General discussion”