HxDavid

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:29 pm

Hi, I've read through the pots but I can't find the issue I am having.

New to RPi and Linux so be gentle although like old days of DOS and ZX81. :-)

Went through your set up list no problem until I hit the line

git clone git://github.com/wireload/screenly-ose.git ~/screenly

This gives me an error

fatal:unable to connect to github.com:
github.com: Name or service not known

I thought it might be a firewall issue on my network as it has several hardware and software security devices so I tried it on 2 different networks, one standard adsl the other EFM, both with with basic router firewalls which normally have no issues of this kind.

Same error each time.
The updates go through fine and I can search using apt-cache search for other programs so there is a live connection.

Any thoughts?

nikize

Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:18 am

ianh100 wrote:Hi, I installed Screenly but X Windows no longer loads. I have this build running some monitoring for another application which is alos now playing up. What is the easiest way to remove wht the screenly install script did? I think I need to play with this on another board first.

Thanks
Screenly is put in LXDEs autostart.
rm ~/.config/lxsession/LXDE/autostart
would remove that part, but there is also several other parts that change some configuration..
additional
rm ~/.gtkrc-2.0
rm ~/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml
That would be all X related changes i belive, there might also be some .bak files that you would like to restore.

I would recommend a separate SD card to have different configurations.

nikize

Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:26 am

HxDavid wrote:git clone git://github.com/wireload/screenly-ose.git ~/screenly

This gives me an error

fatal:unable to connect to github.com:
github.com: Name or service not known
git uses a separate port for communication, maybe that is blocked in your case?
Have you tried https access instead? The command would be

Code: Select all

git clone https://github.com/wireload/screenly-ose.git ~/screenly
The other reason would be if you have a DNS or connection problem to github.com
Test with ping -c4 github.com and check that you get responses.

HxDavid

Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:54 pm

Hi, thanks for the tip, I did try Https as it looked like an address, no luck.

However I now have something to ping so will try that. I tried looking that up but ran out of time.

Thanks again will let you know.

David.

HxDavid

Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:57 pm

Hi, must be ports thing at work, have the RPi at home today and despite not being able to find a keyboard it connected first time and no error. (thank you SSH)

Thanks again.

Keen to see more development in a nice subtle fade transition if possible.

David.

Gold_Ninja

Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:08 am

HxDavid wrote: Keen to see more development in a nice subtle fade transition if possible.
I second this! Would love to see something like Axel-B's fader included in the master branch. And how about some pre-fetching for the next image in the playlist? Would that be easy/possible?
I have a ~40MBits/sec wired broadband connection here but there's still a noticeable delay as each images loads for the first time and sometimes the delay is long enough that the next image gets displayed before the first has finished cashing.

Axel-b2

Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:21 pm

Gold_Ninja wrote:
HxDavid wrote: Keen to see more development in a nice subtle fade transition if possible.
I second this! Would love to see something like Axel-B's fader included in the master branch. And how about some pre-fetching for the next image in the playlist? Would that be easy/possible?
I have a ~40MBits/sec wired broadband connection here but there's still a noticeable delay as each images loads for the first time and sometimes the delay is long enough that the next image gets displayed before the first has finished cashing.
pre-fetching the next asset is more or less done on my player-browser-fader branch.
It fetches the next asset while the current one is being shown, so,
the current asset must be displayed long enough (for the next one to load), or else it all may still not look nice.

That branch also does fading -- whether it is nice is not for me to say (but I am more or less happy with it).
The fading works via an overlay that 'covers' the screen during a transition (the overlay cannot be present at the same time as the video player).
This overlay is controlled from the viewer program. Between two subsequent image/webpage assets it provides a fade-out, fade-in effect. From image/webpage to video it only fades-out the image/webpage, and for the opposite, it only fades-in the image/webpage.
It should be possible to implement other effects than fading.

I did change quite some code in the viewer to get this working, though.

I now use two uzbl (web-browser) instances, such that while one displays an image or webpage, the other can already load the next page/image (this works via a class Browser that 'wraps' around uzbl).
(I no longer use the uzbl Browser to provide a black background for video, but set that background up when the viewer starts, via 'xsetroot -solid black').
Also, I added a wrapper (class Player) around omxplayer (inspired by pyomxplayer.py). The wrapper can start omxplayer in paused mode (without being visible on the screen) -- such that omxplayer can be started in advance (in paused mode), and then on command 'almost instantly' becomes visible and starts playing the movie.

To make use of this, I introduced an Asset base class. Each Asset has three methods that are used for display: prepare(), start() and wait(). There are subclasses BrowserAsset and PlayerAsset, for webpage/image resp. video, that do the right thing using a Brower resp. Player instance.

BrowserAsset.prepare() loads a webpage/image in the 'free' Browser instance;
BrowserAsset.start() makes the currently invisible Browser instance visible (via fade-in);
BrowserAsset.wait() waits until the BrowserAsset has been shown for its given duration, then fade-out to black (when next asset is video), or white (when next asset is webpage).

(my webpages have a white background, so the white fade-color matches them; the black fade-color matches the black background used for videos).

PlayerAsset.prepare() loads a video in a new Player instance, and associates it with the PlayerAsset;
PlayerAsset.start() (removes the overlay and) 'un-pauses' the Player;
PlayerAsset.wait() waits until the Player has finished display of the video (and then instantly creates a black overlay -- user doesn't see difference between black background and black overlay).

So, after using start() for the 'current' asset,
my viewer gets the next asset (this includes testing that a remote web-page asset is available), and invokes its prepare(),
and then invokes wait() on the 'current' asset.
And then it loops (where the 'next' asset becomes the 'current' asset).

Because I have one web-page that takes a looong time to load (15-20sec) I have been thinking of dedicating a separate uzbl Browser instance to it -- it could be nice to be able to configure per asset whether it needs its own viewer (Browser instance), but that would involve changes to the playlist format.

I have started adding some 'high-level' documentation about my branches at a wiki page at github (https://github.com/axel-b/screenly-ose/wiki).

On my own screenly-controlled screen I'm currently running a mix of those branches: the viewer from player-browser-fader; the server from (a modified version, that includes ldap support, of) branch https-auth-with-submodule -- it may be that the viewer still needs tiny timing tweaks to make it look even nicer.

Axel.

wm408

Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:33 am

Hello,

I want to manage the picture library on the local system itself that also runs Screenly. I installed apache2 and it seems to work fine running on the default port 80, as Screenly is on 8080.

Could I also just run it on the same daemon that Screenly uses instead, or, what is the best recommendation here?

Thanks.

Axel-b2

Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:03 pm

wm408 wrote: I want to manage the picture library on the local system itself that also runs Screenly. I installed apache2 and it seems to work fine running on the default port 80, as Screenly is on 8080.

Could I also just run it on the same daemon that Screenly uses instead, or, what is the best recommendation here?
In principle, there should no daemon (apache or other) necessary, for Screenly to be able to access local files (pictures, web pages, videos).

However, currently, when you add a new asset to screenly, Screenly does not accept a simple file name.
This could/should be changed in Screenly.
Then, Screenly will then just read the pictures (web pages, videos) from the file system -- no need for apache or other daemon.

Already a while ago I tried changing Screenly to allow local file names when adding an asset, this is on my github branch https://github.com/axel-b/screenly-ose/ ... cal-assets.
I just updated that branch with latest changes on the master branch of vpetersson (but did not test the result myself, so be careful!).
I guess this, or similar could/should be integrated in Screenly... but that would be something for vpetersson...

Gold_Ninja

Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:57 pm

Axel! All that sounds great! However I think I'm still not smart enough to figure out how to install your branch >__<;

I would like to add that my problem with slow-loading pictures has been mostly solved by replacing the PSU, but a nice fade transition (and being able to add assets by the folder) would still be neat!

wm408

Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Axel,

Thanks for your input. Absolutely I would rather load a local path instead of a weblink.

Can I just do a:

git clone https://github.com/axel-b/screenly-ose/tree/allow-local-assets
?

I can test this no problem, I have full image backups. Ill also provide feedback too.

Thanks

-Will
Axel-b2 wrote:
wm408 wrote: I want to manage the picture library on the local system itself that also runs Screenly. I installed apache2 and it seems to work fine running on the default port 80, as Screenly is on 8080.

In principle, there should no daemon (apache or other) necessary, for Screenly to be able to access local files (pictures, web pages, videos).

However, currently, when you add a new asset to screenly, Screenly does not accept a simple file name.
This could/should be changed in Screenly.
Then, Screenly will then just read the pictures (web pages, videos) from the file system -- no need for apache or other daemon.

Already a while ago I tried changing Screenly to allow local file names when adding an asset, this is on my github branch https://github.com/axel-b/screenly-ose/ ... cal-assets.
I just updated that branch with latest changes on the master branch of vpetersson (but did not test the result myself, so be careful!).
I guess this, or similar could/should be integrated in Screenly... but that would be something for vpetersson...

nikize

Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:02 am

wm408 wrote:Axel,

Thanks for your input. Absolutely I would rather load a local path instead of a weblink.

Can I just do a:

git clone https://github.com/axel-b/screenly-ose/tree/allow-local-assets
?
Not quite, You will need the following:

git clone https://github.com/axel-b/screenly-ose.git -b allow-local-assets screenly-ose
It is important to clone to correct directory (screenly-ose)
-b is used to checkout the correct branch. (alternative after git clone without -b would be "git checkout -t origin/allow-local-assets")

Darron.Michael

Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:36 pm

GREAT JOB ON SCREENLY-OSE!!! I'm eager to see the PRO version. I'm using screenly-ose to set up some displays at work to show production stats, daily schedules, announcements, work instructions, etc. I'm currently using the "allow local assets" branch, which works great btw. Is there any chance of being able to include .PDF or .PPT documents? Currently, to show a work instruction that we keep in .ppt, we have to export it to a jpg and then resize the jpg to fill the TV. Not a smooth or easy operation.

vpetersson

Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:51 pm

Darron.Michael wrote:GREAT JOB ON SCREENLY-OSE!!! I'm eager to see the PRO version. I'm using screenly-ose to set up some displays at work to show production stats, daily schedules, announcements, work instructions, etc. I'm currently using the "allow local assets" branch, which works great btw. Is there any chance of being able to include .PDF or .PPT documents? Currently, to show a work instruction that we keep in .ppt, we have to export it to a jpg and then resize the jpg to fill the TV. Not a smooth or easy operation.
Hi Darron,

Glad to hear that it is working for you.

Supporting PDF would be doable, but it's not a very good fit (since PDF is primarily designed for print-style resolutions (A4, US letter etc). While you could of course create a PDF with 1920x1080 resolution, you really don't gain anything by doing so rather than just using a PNG/JPEG (since it's fixed resolution).

Supporting PPT on the other hand is unlikely that we'll add support for. The primary reason being the proprietary nature of the format along with the issues that brings (for processing). That's in addition to the mess Office is in general with different versions etc.

Exporting the PPT to JPG/PNG is a far better solution, as the processing happens locally, and the result will indeed be the way you see it on screen. Perhaps there is a 3rd party tool we can tap into that can automate this process.

Another issue that working with Powerpoint for content generation is that most users don't know how to change the resolution (and have to resize it afterwards, just like you say). That's not an ideal solution. The better solution is to set the proper resolution (1920x1080) directly in PowerPoint. While I never user Powerpoint myself, these instructions (http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/in ... 628AArltLN) might work. Moreover, even if support for PPT would have been added, they would still be rendered to PNG/JPEG prior to being displayed, which means that you couldn't utilize any advanced data collection from there regardless.
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi. Now hacking on WoTT (github.com/WoTTsecurity/agent),
Twitter: @vpetersson | vpetersson.com

Darron.Michael

Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:40 pm

BINGO!

Using unoconv from git://github.com/dagwieers/unoconv.git, I can convert ppt files to jpg files from a command line for display by screenly-ose, although the Pi seems underpowered for this task. I'll do the conversions on a separate box.

So I rsync the ppt files from our main file server to a isolated workhorse that will use unoconv to convert them all to jpg files, and then rsync the resulting jpg files over to my webserver. When the SQL database triggers that a new item is on the production line, it will copy the appropriate jpg file to "current.jpg" for display on the web page by screenly.

8^D

Axel-b2

Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:41 pm

@Darron.Michael

Thanks for mentioning the solution that you found.
It seems a better approach than what we used.

I have one ppt in the playlist on our screen; we converted it to a video. Initially we had used a ppt command "save as movie" (or whatever the exact command name is), on a windows machine. Worked fine. After small edits to the ppt, I tried to do the same on a mac, but then the animations did not appear correctly in the video. On the mac, the animations did appear correctly when the ppt was just played, so I let it play, while a screen-capture program was running to capture the video.

bgardner

Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:14 pm

Howdy all,

Sorry if this was covered earlier in the thread, I skimmed and searched but didn't see anything.

I just installed Screenly on a fresh 2012-10-28-wheezy-raspbian.img. Following the instructions (https://github.com/wireload/screenly-ose/#readme) I installed Screenly with no notable errors. However, after rebooting, all I get is a blank black screen with a mouse (hidden when not moving). It doesn't display a URL or anything else useful I can interact with. I tried this twice (wiping the SD card and starting over) with the same result.

I'm assuming I've missed something basic, I'm just not sure what. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

nikize

Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:13 pm

bgardner wrote:I installed Screenly with no notable errors. However, after rebooting, all I get is a blank black screen with a mouse (hidden when not moving).
It is hard to say what went wrong without any error message.. But lets try,
First can you access your Raspberry with a browser on http://ip.of.r.pi:8080 ?
In that case click on system info and post the log.

If not, use

tail -n 20 /tmp/screenly_viewer.log
To get and post the log. And let's go from there.

CSD Dave

Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:16 pm

Hi

Ive got screenly installed and up and running.Great stuff!
I have successfully displayed via HDMi scheduled images and websites but so far Ive been unable to get a video to play. The screen goes blank when the video should be playing but then correctly shows the next image or website in the schedule.

Any ideas please?
Ive tried using a few different video formats including a .mkv file but alsways get the same results. blank screen and no audio.

nikize

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:46 pm

CSD Dave wrote:I have successfully displayed via HDMi scheduled images and websites but so far Ive been unable to get a video to play. The screen goes blank when the video should be playing but then correctly shows the next image or website in the schedule.

Any ideas please?
Could you try starting omxplayer from a ssh connection and see what happens?

dszhan

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:08 pm

Hello,

I have installed Screenly following the instructions on the website.
I have used 2012-09-18 version of Raspbian
After installation the boot-up process becomes a bit slower and I get a few errors on the screen at POST

unhandled mode 1
unhandled mode 2
mailbox failed
error 84 while installing SD card.
RTC init failed

I have used 8GB class 10 SD card
After installation it works OK for the first few times and after that it takes too long
to open webpages on the [email protected] for scheduling adding asset etc.

Any ideas on why the slow down?
Should I use a different raspbian version?

CSD Dave

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:13 pm

Hi

If i start omxplayer i get the following text
Options :
-h / --help print this help
-a / --alang language audio language : e.g. ger
-n / --aidx index audio stream index : e.g. 1
-o / --adev device audio out device : e.g. hdmi/local
-i / --info dump stream format and exit
-s / --stats pts and buffer stats
-p / --passthrough audio passthrough
-d / --deinterlace deinterlacing
-w / --hw hw audio decoding
-3 / --3d switch tv into 3d mode
-y / --hdmiclocksync adjust display refresh rate to match video
-t / --sid index show subtitle with index
-r / --refresh adjust framerate/resolution to video
--font path subtitle font
(default: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont/FreeSans.ttf)
--font-size size font size as thousandths of screen height
(default: 55)
--align left/center subtitle alignment (default: left)

screenly continues to display the scheduled content

Darron.Michael

Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:51 pm

My first setup is up and running above our production line, alternating between showing the local weather radar, one of our security cameras, and a jpg image of the current product's packing instructions.

Only problem is that it takes a long time for certain pages (the weather radar) to load. I'd really like to try the "fade in" version where it uses 2 browsers to pre-load the assets for fast transitions.

How would I upgrade my existing install to that version or what URL would I "git" to install that version on another Pi?

Thanks so much.

Axel-b2

Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:40 pm

CSD Dave wrote: I have successfully displayed via HDMi scheduled images and websites but so far Ive been unable to get a video to play. The screen goes blank when the video should be playing but then correctly shows the next image or website in the schedule.

Any ideas please?
Ive tried using a few different video formats including a .mkv file but alsways get the same results. blank screen and no audio.
My first guess: your videos are not in a format that omxplayer can handle, or for which no native hardware support is available/enabled.
I think it has to be mp4 (h264 encoded).
I think mplayer has a command line option to tell you more about the format of your videos.

You can buy additional licenses to enable support for additional formats on your raspberry.

Axel-b2

Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:57 pm

Darron.Michael wrote:My first setup is up and running above our production line, alternating between showing the local weather radar, one of our security cameras, and a jpg image of the current product's packing instructions.

Only problem is that it takes a long time for certain pages (the weather radar) to load. I'd really like to try the "fade in" version where it uses 2 browsers to pre-load the assets for fast transitions.

How would I upgrade my existing install to that version or what URL would I "git" to install that version on another Pi?
I feel we really need a way to prefetch assets, independent of the actual technique to achieve that
(it might also be possible to use jquery tricks in a single browser instance).

I don't have time now, but I will try to make time this weekend to post instructions.
(I'd love to see your feedback)

In a nutshell, it should be possible to point git (in the screenly directory on your raspberry) to an additional remote repository, and then tell it to fetch content from there, and then tell it to change the git-controlled files in the screenly directory to those from another branch.

Axel.

Return to “Other projects”