greenleaf108

Storage - Very Unstable

Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:47 pm

So while tinkering around with my Raspberry Pi over the past few weeks I've come to the conclusion that the storage is not stable or "production-ready" at all. While I'm usually very careful to power down the unit with the "shutdown" command, there are occasions where I lose network connectivity or power by accident. It seems that half the time this happens, the SD card gets completely hosed and I have to start all over from scratch.

Most of the other Linux systems I've worked with in the past were not this sensitive to an abrupt shutdown; they usually simply power back on, run fsck, and keep on trucking. Why is the Pi so sensitive to powerdowns? Is there any way to increase the stability of the device? I can't guarantee that it's always going to get a clean shutdown "in the field" so to speak, so it's not much use to me if I can't guarantee it will work, even when not powered down from the command line.

greenleaf108

Re: Storage - Very Unstable

Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:08 pm

Ok, I think I figured out why this thing is so unstable; the default Raspbian filesystem is ext2, not ext3. Why? Why not use a journaling filesystem like ext3 which is much more resistant to corruption caused by unexpected shutdowns?

Fortunately I was able to plug the SD card into my other Linux machine, run e2fsck, and retrieve most of the data I had stored on it. Still won't boot in the Raspberry Pi though. I wonder if mine's defective.

ghans

Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:35 pm

Latest image , firmware and GOOD power-supply ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

joan

Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:41 pm

greenleaf108 wrote:Ok, I think I figured out why this thing is so unstable; the default Raspbian filesystem is ext2, not ext3. Why? Why not use a journaling filesystem like ext3 which is much more resistant to corruption caused by unexpected shutdowns?

Fortunately I was able to plug the SD card into my other Linux machine, run e2fsck, and retrieve most of the data I had stored on it. Still won't boot in the Raspberry Pi though. I wonder if mine's defective.
It's more likely to be ext4. e2fsck is used for ext2/ext3/ext4.

greenleaf108

Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:45 pm

Trying the latest image now. My power supply is a Samsung Galaxy phone charger, 5 volts, 1 amp.

I had no idea this thing would be so sensitive. Do you all have a recommended power supply? Or will a decent iPhone/Samsung charger do the trick? I take it that plugging the raspi into any available USB port on a hub is not a good idea.

obcd

Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:34 pm

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 28&t=16284

It might be worth continuing that threat about the topic.

notarat

Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:09 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're worried about corrupted SD Cards, can you make your Boot partition Read Only, back up your Os partition to a temporary drive , change your OS partition to a journaled filesystem, then restore your backed up OS to the journaled partition to ameliorate the corruption issue?

Return to “Troubleshooting”