tovis

Re: Status update

Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:42 pm

jamesh wrote:It's 5MP hyperfocal camera, capable of upto 1080p30.

Software will be provided to take still images and also to produce H264 encoded streams of video (I believe you can specify resolution and bitrate). By default I expect OpenMAX will be the initial API, but I imagine people will produce easier to use wrapper over that e.g. V4L. What you then do with those video streams is up to you - stream to display, record to SD card, stream over internet.
You mean that it would not connected, handled by v4l2?

bjdw

Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:16 am

when you say "hyperfocal" - what will be the shortest subject distance for a sharp image?

(dreads the expectation that we'll have to add lenses to get any close range imaging)

vroem

Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:41 pm

Fantastic job guys! I hope to be able to buy your camera module soon!

What are the hopes for a third party developping more CSI hardware for the RPi? The HDMI capture chip that's been talked about earlier has clearly made some people dreaming, including me.

I'm sure you will be documenting the interface a bit more after all this excellent work you've done.

Would a third party still need a lot of (secret?) information from Broadcom to develop such a CSI module (besides all the other challenges involved)?

FYI: The Toshiba TC358743 HDMI to MIPI CSI bridge (PDF). I wouldn't really call it an adapter, it's more like a mobile chip, the kind of thing that you don't solder in your garage.

two_sheds

Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:28 am

We've nearly run out of October, so just wondering if there's an updated time-frame for the camera module being released?

nicocota

vlc streaming

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:05 pm

Hi all,

I have installed vlc on my RPi without errors but I can listen music coming from my VLC windows server.
In fact I would like to make a virtual cable adaptor with the RPi in order to plug the RPi audio jack in my amplifier. I try to listen audio data on the RPi vlc client with the HTTP method port 1234 e.g. but I can't reach my vlc server :-(

Thank you for your help

wallarug

Re: vlc streaming

Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:10 am

nicocota wrote:Hi all,

I have installed vlc on my RPi without errors but I can listen music coming from my VLC windows server.
In fact I would like to make a virtual cable adaptor with the RPi in order to plug the RPi audio jack in my amplifier. I try to listen audio data on the RPi vlc client with the HTTP method port 1234 e.g. but I can't reach my vlc server :-(

Thank you for your help
You should post this somewhere else.

Tozzi

Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:29 pm

I want the camera module now :( What is the status RPI team? Last time I saw an update was when you showed us a living sample.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:10 pm

Tozzi wrote:I want the camera module now :( What is the status RPI team? Last time I saw an update was when you showed us a living sample.
We are having difficulties finding the time to really get the final work done on this. We have images from the PCB, but only through debuggers on the GPU, so we know the board works, but there's a load more stuff to do to make it ready for sale - i.e. images available in Linux. Sorry I cannot be any more specific - we are all overly busy with paid work at the moment.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:11 pm

Newsflash: random guy gives us links to stock exchange, appears to have no relation to raspberry pi camera apart from the URL.

jamesh

Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:41 pm

There is a point to the post - it links to the RS press release on the camera board.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

Paul Webster

Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:49 pm

Here is the main text regarding the camera.

Electrocomponents plc : RS Components unveils world’s first demonstration of the Raspberry Pi camera module at Electronica 2012
11/13/2012| 12:03pm US/Eastern
Exclusive demonstration of prototype camera module premiered on RS stand - Hall A4, stand 117

OXFORD, UK, & MUNICH, GERMANY, 13 November, 2012 - RS Components (RS), the trading brand of Electrocomponents plc (LSE:ECM), the world's leading high service distributor of electronics and maintenance products, is showcasing the only working demonstration of the upcoming Raspberry Pi camera module at Electronica 2012, Munich, November 13-16, 2012.

Visitors to the RS stand can view the world's first public demonstration of the Raspberry Pi camera module, which contains a 5 megapixel camera phone sensor.  The camera module interfaces to the Raspberry Pi via the existing camera connector, using CSI for data and I2C for control. The camera module will allow users to record 1080p at 30 frames per second in H264 video format.

"We are very excited to be demonstrating the prototype of the camera module publicly for the first time, and we are working to release the production version in the coming months," said Rob Bishop, Raspberry Pi Foundation. "This is going to allow customers to very cheaply add video input to their projects for anything from robotics to home security systems."

"It is great to be building on our association with Raspberry Pi with the new camera module," said Glenn Jarrett, Global Head of Product Marketing at RS.

sjfaustino

Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:21 pm

Paul Webster wrote:showcasing the only working demonstration of the upcoming Raspberry Pi camera module
That's why there's not been much development on the camera module, RS has the prototype with them!
:lol:

jamesh

Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:31 am

Actually, we have the module framing and producing pictures fine, as you can see on the stand pictures. We do need to get some work done on interfacing to Linux - at the moment I think it's all OpenMAX, so would be good to put a V4L wrapper around that. I think the PCB will also change - we need to take some stuff off I believe.

Burngate

Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:15 am

ridgelift

Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:55 pm

Lots of robotic hobbyists interested in machine vision would be happy if the Cambridge developed
3D modeling software from a "simple" web cam interface could be ported to the Pi one day.
http://phys.org/news177180374.html

jamesh

Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:13 am

ridgelift wrote:Lots of robotic hobbyists interested in machine vision would be happy if the Cambridge developed
3D modeling software from a "simple" web cam interface could be ported to the Pi one day.
http://phys.org/news177180374.html
That's pretty cool!

t3itguy

Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:46 pm

Hey guys, is there a current status update for the new year? It seems that the most recent updates have been from October/November of last year. Also, can you give us an idea of a timeframe to production? Any info would be useful. Thanks for all your hard work!

jamesh

Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:54 pm

Release Q1 2013.

CleverEngineer

Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:43 pm

jamesh that is good news. Is there anything we / I can do to help?

cosmo

Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:29 pm

jamesh wrote:Release Q1 2013.
Huzzah!

wallarug

Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:55 am

jamesh wrote:Release Q1 2013.
Sounds great. Keep us posted.

peepo

Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:27 am

Gert,

will gspca be used?

what formats will be supported [1]
Will 125fps or even faster be included?
ie at qvga or qqvga perhaps?

How is the lens attached to the board?
what mount is used?
does it have an M12 thread, if not what?
does it have 18mm hole spacing and 2 diagonal lugs?

kind regards

Jonathan

[1] Sony PS3 eye camera 2007 gspca_ov534

Working modes are :
00: [email protected]
01: [email protected]
02: [email protected]
03: [email protected]
04: [email protected]
10: [email protected]
11: [email protected]
12: [email protected]
13: [email protected]
14: [email protected]
15: [email protected] (added 15/02/09 V0.3)
16: [email protected] (added 15/02/09 V0.3)

jamesh

Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:54 am

peepo wrote:Gert,

will gspca be used?
No.
peepo wrote: what formats will be supported [1]
Will 125fps or even faster be included?
ie at qvga or qqvga perhaps?
Might get up to 120fps at the lower resolutions. Never been tried.
peepo wrote: How is the lens attached to the board?
what mount is used?
does it have an M12 thread, if not what?
does it have 18mm hole spacing and 2 diagonal lugs?
The lens is a permanently attached to the sensor - there is no mount of any description. AFAIK, there are no lugs.

d0vr

Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:14 pm

Here camera camera camera..! Any update? :P

Return to “Camera board”