Toad King

Re: RetroArch Emulator Frontend

Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:13 am

abishur wrote:
Toad King wrote:The NES color palette is a surprisingly difficult thing to get just right, and a lot of emulators do it different from each other: http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?t=9027
Interesting, if this is the case, is it possible to (easily) tweak the color pallet to fit my TV?
Probably not easy, but you can edit libretro-fceumm/libretro.c and change current_palette to be a number 1 - 13, you might be able to change to one of the baked-in custom palettes. There was originally going to be a way to switch between palettes ingame, but that feature got put on the backburner a while ago I believe.

abishur

Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:21 am

Toad King wrote:
abishur wrote:
Toad King wrote:The NES color palette is a surprisingly difficult thing to get just right, and a lot of emulators do it different from each other: http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?t=9027
Interesting, if this is the case, is it possible to (easily) tweak the color pallet to fit my TV?
Probably not easy, but you can edit libretro-fceumm/libretro.c and change current_palette to be a number 1 - 13, you might be able to change to one of the baked-in custom palettes. There was originally going to be a way to switch between palettes ingame, but that feature got put on the backburner a while ago I believe.
Thanks! One last question, I've seen a couple different links to the github site to use, is there a good link for building RetroArch for the Pi and how to edit it's various config options? (I'm willing to bet I'm just missing it somewhere in this thread even :oops: )
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Toad King

Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:26 am

abishur wrote:Thanks! One last question, I've seen a couple different links to the github site to use, is there a good link for building RetroArch for the Pi and how to edit it's various config options? (I'm willing to bet I'm just missing it somewhere in this thread even :oops: )
Building RetroArch is as simple as getting the source and doing "./configure ; make". All the configuration options are laid out in a sample retroarch.cfg file, which you can make a local copy of at $HOME/.retroarch.cfg

Note that some options don't work on certain video drivers (like shaders only working with the GL driver) and some options altogether don't work on the Pi, like the window ones obviously.

abishur

Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:30 am

Toad King wrote:
abishur wrote:Thanks! One last question, I've seen a couple different links to the github site to use, is there a good link for building RetroArch for the Pi and how to edit it's various config options? (I'm willing to bet I'm just missing it somewhere in this thread even :oops: )
Building RetroArch is as simple as getting the source and doing "./configure ; make". All the configuration options are laid out in a sample retroarch.cfg file, which you can make a local copy of at $HOME/.retroarch.cfg

Note that some options don't work on certain video drivers (like shaders only working with the GL driver) and some options altogether don't work on the Pi, like the window ones obviously.
Thank-you kindly!

portets

Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:35 am

Toad King wrote:Shaders using the BSNES XML format should work, and you can find some here: http://gitorious.org/bsnes/xml-shaders
Note that some shaders are more performance heavy than others, and at higher resolutions, they can slow down your game.
How do you get them to work? I recompiled the latest retroarch and fceumm but keep getting:

Code: Select all

GLES context is used, but shader is not modern. Cannot use it.

petrockblog

Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:53 am

abishur wrote: Is RetroPi using the emulationstation using the same stuff as RetroArch? If so I built it from the latest binaries around noon, do I need to redo it or did I get the latest version?
The RetroPie script really does nothing "special" for installing RetroArch: download the sources, compile, and install them as ToadKing mentioned. The executed commands can be found here. The installation of the various cores are handled the same. You can (re-)compile RetroArch and the cores with an existing RetroPie-Script installation by choosing the "source-based (custom) installation". From there you can select the cores/programs to be compiled.
fun stuff for technics enthusiasts: www.petrockblock.com

Toad King

Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:08 pm

portets wrote:
Toad King wrote:Shaders using the BSNES XML format should work, and you can find some here: http://gitorious.org/bsnes/xml-shaders
Note that some shaders are more performance heavy than others, and at higher resolutions, they can slow down your game.
How do you get them to work? I recompiled the latest retroarch and fceumm but keep getting:

GLES context is used, but shader is not modern. Cannot use it.
Whoops, I didn't realize those were all fixed-function shaders. While most of them can probably be updated to work on the Pi (some even by just changing language="GLSL" to language="GLSL2"), that might take work, or could be done automatically by RetroArch. I'll talk to the dev behind the GLSL shader support later.

abishur

Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:06 pm

Just for the record, recompiling them has fixed the color pallet problem :-D

also, I successfully setup my controller, but how would I go about setting up a player 2 controller?

Toad King

Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:09 pm

abishur wrote:Just for the record, recompiling them has fixed the color pallet problem :-D

also, I successfully setup my controller, but how would I go about setting up a player 2 controller?
If you look in retroarch.cfg, you'll find the options for input buttons. Just copy it and replace "player1" with "player2" as needed, and set "input_player2_joypad_index" to the index of the controller you want to use.

ReliC

Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:05 pm

Hey all, thanks for everyone's hard work so far, having a blast with the emulators! Just letting you know I got DGen compiled and running on my Pi, and it manages to run Sonic 2 at full speed with sound. I am overclocked to 1GHz mind you, but it currently runs MUCH better than the Genesis-Plus-GX bundled with RetroPie. Still need to get it configured to work with my 360 controller (which works in the other emulators), but that shouldn't be too difficult.

Just wanted to pass that along in case you were looking for any DGen updates. Keep up the awesome work! :mrgreen:

...full-speed NES, SNES, and Genesis... Now onto MAME :twisted:
http://pi.relicweb.com

abishur

Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:45 pm

Presently the ESC key exits the Emulator, is it possible to set a key combination on a joystick to equal the escape key?

I tied setting input_exit_emulator = input_player1_l_btn

but it doesn't seem to like that (and input_player1_l_btn is defined ;-) )

Beyond that is there a way to assign a key combination rather than a single key?

Toad King

Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:19 pm

abishur wrote:Presently the ESC key exits the Emulator, is it possible to set a key combination on a joystick to equal the escape key?

Beyond that is there a way to assign a key combination rather than a single key?
You should be able to define it as "input_exit_emulator_btn = <button #>" the same way you do controls. There's no way to bind exit to a key/button combination yet.

forenbenutzer

Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:54 pm

Toad King wrote:
abishur wrote:Presently the ESC key exits the Emulator, is it possible to set a key combination on a joystick to equal the escape key?

You should be able to define it as "input_exit_emulator_btn = <button #>" the same way you do controls. There's no way to bind exit to a key/button combination yet.
This button works on all connected controllers then?

By the way: Has anyone tried getting Doom to normal speed? It runs at about 200% speed, no matter what framerate in the game options I set.
Pitendo - Case And Emulator Project - http://edv-huber.com/index.php/problemloesungen/12-pitendo

westermark

Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:23 am

Hi!

I recently got my setup working with both a keyboard and a PS2 controller, however I would like a solution which doesn't require much hardware.

What I have in mind right now is getting the input over ssh in some fancy manner. I've tried my best with input redirections, screen etc, but no luck. Is there a better way?

vobi

Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:08 pm

Hi everyone :)

I added a functionality to EmulationStation which is very useful to me: Backups of the savegames via git. Besides of "Shutdown" and "Restart" there are now the options "git backup" and "git pull".

You can get my version from https://github.com/vobi/EmulationStation
It's just 8 lines of modification in the source code.

In order to get it working you have to set up the git repository properly. Here is what i did:

append client's .ssh/id_rsa.pub to server's .ssh/authorized_keys

on server:
mkdir savegames.git
cd savesgames.git
git --bare init

on client
git clone ssh://user@serverurl:sshport/~/savegames.git
mv savegames/.git RetroPie/roms
rmdir savegames
cd RetroPie/roms
git add */*.srm
git commit -m "initial commit"
git push origin master

Note that only *.srm files of subdirectories of the roms folder (doesn't need to be named that way) are under control of git. I don't know if there are other extensions for the savegames, I only played gbc and snes which had these extensions.

Feel free to improve and simplify this, especially the "git add" command was a little tricky to get working. It is very likely that the construction of the paths is easier as well since I haven't looked into the code very much.

konkordpl

Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:23 pm

I'm using retroarch with nes emulator and i've got a problem.
NES Controllers seems to react slow, when playing i think there is a 1 second delay. Do you know how to solve it?
I'm using NES USB adapters from retrobit. Can you help me with this?

petrockblog

Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:28 pm

Recently, I get error when I try to compile the libretro PCSX core from git://github.com/libretro/pcsx_rearmed.git with the commands

./configure --platform=libretro
make. This is the console output:
Output:

gcc -Wall -ggdb -Ifrontend -ffast-math -O2 -DNDEBUG -mfpu=vfp -fPIC -Wno-unused-result -DNO_FRONTEND -c libpcsxcore/gte_arm.S -o libpcsxcore/gte_arm.o
libpcsxcore/gte_arm.S: Assembler messages:
libpcsxcore/gte_arm.S:161: Error: non-constant expression in ".if" statement
libpcsxcore/gte_arm.S:162: Error: non-constant expression in ".if" statement
libpcsxcore/gte_arm.S:163: Error: non-constant expression in ".if" statement
libpcsxcore/gte_arm.S:164: Error: non-constant expression in ".if" statement
libpcsxcore/gte_arm.S:165: Error: non-constant expression in ".if" statement
libpcsxcore/gte_arm.S:197: Error: non-constant expression in ".if" statement
libpcsxcore/gte_arm.S:201: Error: non-constant expression in ".if" statement
libpcsxcore/gte_arm.S:202: Error: non-constant expression in ".if" statement
libpcsxcore/gte_arm.S:228: Error: non-constant expression in ".if" statement
libpcsxcore/gte_arm.S:229: Error: non-constant expression in ".if" statement
libpcsxcore/gte_arm.S:234: Error: non-constant expression in ".if" statement
libpcsxcore/gte_arm.S:235: Error: non-constant expression in ".if" statement
libpcsxcore/gte_arm.S:236: Error: non-constant expression in ".if" statement
libpcsxcore/gte_arm.S:262: Error: non-constant expression in ".if" statement
libpcsxcore/gte_arm.S:265: Error: non-constant expression in ".if" statement
libpcsxcore/gte_arm.S:266: Error: non-constant expression in ".if" statement
libpcsxcore/gte_arm.S:433: Error: non-constant expression in ".if" statement
libpcsxcore/gte_arm.S:509: Error: non-constant expression in ".if" statement
libpcsxcore/gte_arm.S:510: Error: non-constant expression in ".if" statement
libpcsxcore/gte_arm.S:511: Error: non-constant expression in ".if" statement
libpcsxcore/gte_arm.S:512: Error: non-constant expression in ".if" statement
make: *** [libpcsxcore/gte_arm.o] Error 1
The "issues" category is not available for that repository. Maybe someone has an idea how to solve this problem?

Toad King

Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:50 pm

petrockblog wrote:Recently, I get error when I try to compile the libretro PCSX core from git://github.com/libretro/pcsx_rearmed.git with the commands

./configure --platform=libretro
make. This is the console output:
Output:

gcc -Wall -ggdb -Ifrontend -ffast-math -O2 -DNDEBUG -mfpu=vfp -fPIC -Wno-unused-result -DNO_FRONTEND -c libpcsxcore/gte_arm.S -o libpcsxcore/gte_arm.o
libpcsxcore/gte_arm.S: Assembler messages:
libpcsxcore/gte_arm.S:161: Error: non-constant expression in ".if" statement
libpcsxcore/gte_arm.S:162: Error: non-constant expression in ".if" statement
libpcsxcore/gte_arm.S:163: Error: non-constant expression in ".if" statement
libpcsxcore/gte_arm.S:164: Error: non-constant expression in ".if" statement
libpcsxcore/gte_arm.S:165: Error: non-constant expression in ".if" statement
libpcsxcore/gte_arm.S:197: Error: non-constant expression in ".if" statement
libpcsxcore/gte_arm.S:201: Error: non-constant expression in ".if" statement
libpcsxcore/gte_arm.S:202: Error: non-constant expression in ".if" statement
libpcsxcore/gte_arm.S:228: Error: non-constant expression in ".if" statement
libpcsxcore/gte_arm.S:229: Error: non-constant expression in ".if" statement
libpcsxcore/gte_arm.S:234: Error: non-constant expression in ".if" statement
libpcsxcore/gte_arm.S:235: Error: non-constant expression in ".if" statement
libpcsxcore/gte_arm.S:236: Error: non-constant expression in ".if" statement
libpcsxcore/gte_arm.S:262: Error: non-constant expression in ".if" statement
libpcsxcore/gte_arm.S:265: Error: non-constant expression in ".if" statement
libpcsxcore/gte_arm.S:266: Error: non-constant expression in ".if" statement
libpcsxcore/gte_arm.S:433: Error: non-constant expression in ".if" statement
libpcsxcore/gte_arm.S:509: Error: non-constant expression in ".if" statement
libpcsxcore/gte_arm.S:510: Error: non-constant expression in ".if" statement
libpcsxcore/gte_arm.S:511: Error: non-constant expression in ".if" statement
libpcsxcore/gte_arm.S:512: Error: non-constant expression in ".if" statement
make: *** [libpcsxcore/gte_arm.o] Error 1
The "issues" category is not available for that repository. Maybe someone has an idea how to solve this problem?
That was a bug on my part. Pull in the latest changes and it should be fixed.

petrockblog

Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:57 am

Toad King wrote: That was a bug on my part. Pull in the latest changes and it should be fixed.
Yep, it works now - thanks for that!

Toad King

Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:16 pm

Just an update: A recent change was pushed to RetroArch, which makes the GL core the default core. If everything goes to plan, you shouldn't notice any difference, but if you notice bugs or degraded performance from this change, please report it.

rui

Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:58 pm

So I'm having an issue where the retroarch-joyconfig is not compiled. What should I do?

petrockblog

Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:59 pm

Toad King wrote: Whoops, I didn't realize those were all fixed-function shaders. While most of them can probably be updated to work on the Pi (some even by just changing language="GLSL" to language="GLSL2"), that might take work, or could be done automatically by RetroArch. I'll talk to the dev behind the GLSL shader support later.
Hi Toadking, any news about the shaders? Could you maybe provide the shader that you used for the demo (as shown this post)?

BasicObject

Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:27 am

I recompiled with the retropie script today and noticed that the SNES emulator is showing odd coloring. It seems like blacks are green. I'm running a 512mb pi with a 128mb split, with the hdmi_group=2, hdmi_mode=4 boot options set. Overclock set to 700. Is the odd coloring due to the new default GL driver?

Toad King

Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:55 pm

BasicObject wrote:I recompiled with the retropie script today and noticed that the SNES emulator is showing odd coloring. It seems like blacks are green. I'm running a 512mb pi with a 128mb split, with the hdmi_group=2, hdmi_mode=4 boot options set. Overclock set to 700. Is the odd coloring due to the new default GL driver?
Get the updated sources and recompile both RetroArch and the cores. There was a change a while back that changed the color formats.

novus

Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:40 pm

Just tried building RetroArch on the RPi, but it exited with this error:

gfx/gl.o: In function `gl_shader_init':
/home/pi/RetroArch/gfx/gl.c:188: undefined reference to `gl_glsl_init'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [retroarch] Error 1
Google is failing me on this one... anybody have any idea what's wrong?

EDIT: Attempting to install using this script: https://github.com/petrockblog/RetroPie-Setup, will post results

Return to “Gaming”