Wolfram23

SSH keeps timing out

Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:00 am

Hey guys I'm having an annoying problem. I'm using an old wifi USB with my Pi, which does work. It's a D-Link DWL-G122 rev C1.

I can SSH with PuTTY and get working, but it always times out after a while. The only fix is to remove the USB, and physically plug it back in. It sometimes happens when idle, but sometimes it can do it just seconds after I last typed something. I did initialize the "keepalives" in PuTTY, set to 60 seconds as well as checked the Enable TCP keepalives box just below (in the Connection category).

I've also set my router to reserve the IP, same as all the devices in my house, so there won't be conflicts.

Really would like to get a fix for this, obviously. Super annoying as I'm trying to learn programming and get an LCD to work =/

Dweeber

Re: SSH keeps timing out

Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:44 am

If the WiFi adapter is "old" you are most likely better off getting a newer one that will be faster and better supported. One of the Edimax or Airlink 101 ones will do with drivers using RTL8188CUS.

The newer ones are faster in that they support 150mb Wireless N.

These are not very expensive... around $13 or under in the US

I have several RPi up for days (the one by the TV has now been up 12 days) without any drop offs.
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...
My RPI Info Pages including Current Setup - http://rpi.tnet.com

milhouse

Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:11 pm

When you connect to the server with PuTTY, do you get a "Security Alert" informing you that the host key is not cached in the registry, and prompting you to accept the key Yes, No, Cancel?

Are you selecting "No", as in my experience this will result in the session eventually hanging. I'm guessing it's because the session is being re-authenticated (seems to be after about half an hour) and since the key isn't in the cache it just dies...

bredman

Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:27 pm

How are you providing power to the WiFi device? A lot of WiFi devices will lose the connection if there is not enough current available.

Wolfram23

Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:32 pm

@milhouse: nothing like that

@bredman: Originally I was just powering it off my PC but I looked at the spec and there's not a lot of current available. So now I'm using one of those Apple wall plugs that are good for 1A.

bredman

Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:18 pm

I meant: are you using a powered USB hub?

If the WiFi device is plugged directly into the RPi, do you have a RPi version with USB polyfuses? These are small components marked "14" in the corner next to the USB port.

Wolfram23

Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:54 pm

bredman wrote:I meant: are you using a powered USB hub?

If the WiFi device is plugged directly into the RPi, do you have a RPi version with USB polyfuses? These are small components marked "14" in the corner next to the USB port.
Oh I see. It's plugged directly in the Pi right now. Model B 256mb. I'll check for the "14" when I get home.

Wolfram23

Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:44 am

Just checked the board, no sign of a "14" anywhere near the USB.

Return to “Networking and servers”