garyamort

Re: Beaglebone coolness...

Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:42 pm

I wonder if the 89$ pricetag was to be more reasonable compared to the Pi? I would have expected a little north of 100$, but 89 seems friendly. http://hexus.net/tech/news/industry/324 ... eaglebone/

The Pi will have better memory and out of the box usage[display hookups]..and still seems like the best platform to me for myself, where I prefer to code at the python/php level not the c level.

But the beaglebone seems to be a good choice for after proof of concept is done and I want to expand features with full pin access.

jojopi

Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:16 pm

[quote]Quote from garyamort on November 3, 2011, 14:42
I wonder if the 89$ pricetag was to be more reasonable compared to the Pi?[/quote]

Jason Kridner of TI/BeagleBoard was a guest on TheAmpHour podcast a couple of months ago (episode 59). He was asked about RaspberryPi and clearly knew about it, but he seemed a bit short on things to say other than to stress that BB\'s ARM is \"three times faster\". I can imagine there are quite a few BB applications where that would not be an issue.

Personally I really hope that RasPi is as successful in this kind of market as in the Foundation\'s target areas.

na1pir

Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:27 pm

R-Pi should be just fine for its intended purpose ( promote the study of computer science ), and after couple of years maybe new more powerful versions would be available for same price range. Beaglebone is cool on its own way, but it is clearly commercial product, which targets whole another target audience.

cnxsoft

Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:45 pm

I find the two products to be very similar except the beaglebone has a faster processor and the r-pi has video output. I suppose the price difference is because TI is not a charity...

Return to “General discussion”