milhouse

Re: [Distro] Raspberry Server: Web Edition

Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:44 am

Coburn wrote: I don't have a 512MB R-Pi to test it out on - I only have my trusty 256MB model. If someone has the 512MB model, could they supply me the bootloader files (and the kernel, if it's different?) so I can do a 512MB-version - at least a replacement bootloader partition tarball.
You can download all of the very latest 256MB and 512MB bootloader files from github, here.

benzeman

Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:37 am

Coburn wrote:
benzeman wrote:Subbed to the thread. This looks awesome - have you had a chance to test performance on a 512MB version? I've got one due today or tomorrow from Farnell, so I'm happy to test - I can give you an FTP server to upload the image to if you want?

I might also be able to help with hosting - PM me if you're interested! :)

Anyway, good luck!
I don't have a 512MB R-Pi to test it out on - I only have my trusty 256MB model. If someone has the 512MB model, could they supply me the bootloader files (and the kernel, if it's different?) so I can do a 512MB-version - at least a replacement bootloader partition tarball.

What I do hope to is that I can sell a few SDs with this distro preloaded, so I can then buy a 512MB model.

Hosting would be great, as I do have Japan and US mirrors that are used for my websites (Coburn's Domain, and Dandere Networks, the server network I own). However, both mirrors do randomly get pelted with bandwidth at times (and they are metered - 200GB each), so if I could get something like a round-robin checker on 3rd party hosts that I authorise (maybe even a cronjob) that queries a special URL and if the server replies there's a new build out, it would D/L it and all that jazz.

It's getting dark here and I need to get away from the office, so tomorrow I will upload the public test version. However, I request this version to not be redistrubuted (I know someone would break my request) since it's a test release and I don't want to type a zillion one-line replies saying "Update your installation", "Update", "Just update!", "UPDATE YOUR SD INSTALL!" etc.

This distro will require some love with fdisk, hdparm, tar and mountpoints. If you aren't that savvy with linux - wait until I have pre-made SD Cards and buy one of them for zero-fuss installation.

Otherwise I will help you to the best I can - I am not going to be held reliable if your Raspberry Pi decides it's too awesome and explodes into fireworks, this software makes your girlfriend leave you, you get a catroast (cat pees on it and BZZT) among other things.

In fact, you will need to use Linux to install this distro. Better download a live CD of Fedora or Ubuntu and get to know how to use it! :)
So, are you going to give out a .img file for this, or what? I'm kinda confused (doesn't help that I'm a web guy, not a linux guy...).

With hosting, I suggest that you have a central host, which hosts distro.zip and md5.txt, and nodes, which have a copy of distro.zip and md5.txt. Every 6 hours, nodes compare their md5.txt with the central md5.txt, and if they're different, then distro.zip and md5.txt are synced with the central server.

Coburn

Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:12 am

benzeman wrote:So, are you going to give out a .img file for this, or what? I'm kinda confused (doesn't help that I'm a web guy, not a linux guy...).

With hosting, I suggest that you have a central host, which hosts distro.zip and md5.txt, and nodes, which have a copy of distro.zip and md5.txt. Every 6 hours, nodes compare their md5.txt with the central md5.txt, and if they're different, then distro.zip and md5.txt are synced with the central server.
I'm going to do a step by step tutorial on how to install it using Linux. I'm not going to supply a IMG file at this moment in time - I'll do IMG files when it's available for public release and it's out of testing phase.

Just preparing my servers now and also doing up a boot partition tarball for 512MB R-Pis. The 512MB version will be experimental until I can get my hands on a 512MB 'Pi, but 256MB version will be "soild".

Coburn

Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:17 am

Something I was going to add - would someone be kind to do a Raspberry Server logo? I'd put a shout out to you as a thanks. I was going to recolor the official logo to make it more server-like (maybe grey and black?) and add a few LAN cables behind the logo. But I'm not sure if the R-Pi Foundation would sue me then... :P

EDIT:
You may only use the Raspberry Pi Logo in connection with the sale or distribution of genuine Raspberry Pi products or services.
Does that mean I'm allowed to use the Raspberry Pi logo for this product?

pigeorgetaylor

Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:24 am

Drop Liz an email? See what she says :)

I'm also happy to help!

Ill see whether i can still use Photoshop first! :mrgreen:

Coburn

Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:26 am

Sorry for the triple post, but here's the install guide!
Follow all instructions to the letter and you will be OK.

Requirements: Linux system or booting off a Linux LiveCD. Ubuntu is fine.

1. Open a shell/terminal and evaluate yourself to super user (sudo su)
2. Download the public test build tarballs from here: I recommend moving them to /tmp for now. Please do not mirror them, it is a test release.

3. Using your internal SD Card reader or external card reader (perferred!), insert the R-Pi SD Card. If you're using KDE/XFCE/LXDE/GNOME and a prompt comes up saying what you want to do with it, do not mount it - close the prompt. We are going to erase the SD Card.
--- WARNING WARNING WARNING ---
If you need to pull anything off your SD Card, I advise you to do it now. Otherwise, your data WILL BE LOST. I cannot stress how important it is to pull whatever data you need off the card, as I have in the past, lost critical files that I needed for client work.

When you are ready to continue, read on.

4. In the terminal, we need to find out what the SD Card's device name is. To do this, we need to use fdisk like so:

Code: Select all

fdisk -l
This will return something like:

Disk /dev/sda: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14593 cylinders, total 234441648 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xd2eed2ef

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *        2048      206847      102400    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda2          206848   234438655   117115904    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

Disk /dev/sdb: 750.2 GB, 750156374016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 91201 cylinders, total 1465149168 sectors
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xd2eed2ee

/dev/sdb1            2048  1172117503   586057728    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

Disk /dev/sdf: 3965 MB, 3965190144 bytes
122 heads, 62 sectors/track, 1023 cylinders, total 7744512 sectors
Disk identifier: 0x000ddd65

/dev/sdf1            2048      133119       65536    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/sdf2          133120      385023      125952   82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sdf3          385024     1990655      802816   83  Linux

Disk /dev/sdh: 262 MB, 262144000 bytes
222 heads, 62 sectors/track, 37 cylinders, total 512000 sectors
Disk identifier: 0xdff91c98

/dev/sdh1   *        2048      511999      254976    6  FAT16
Now, you gotta find your SD Card device name. For example, if your SD Card is 8GB, then you may get something that comes up as 8064MB. Most of the time, your card reader will be /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc, /dev/sdd. Mine was /dev/sdf.

fdisk -l /dev/sdf
5. Now, we need to format the SD Card. Follow my lead, pressing enter after each line. Note: any lines with ... are just something for you to understand what you're doing - don't type 'em!

p
...confirm you have the right device, if you don't, press q and then enter to quit, go back to step 4
o
...flushes the partition table
n
...new
p
...primary partition
...first partition
<enter>
...accept default
+64M
...partition one will be 64MB
t
...change partition type
0B
...change to fat32
n
p
<enter>
<enter>
p
...confirm that you have one entry that says W95 FAT32 and one says LINUX
w
...Flush to disk
Since you've done this, some LiveCDs will re-read the partition table. You should see a message saying "Re-reading partition table". If you see it, you're good to go otherwise do the following command:

hdparm -z <your sdcard device name that you used with fdisk>
Now, if your reader was /dev/sdf, you'll have /dev/sdf1 and /dev/sdf2. Remember those device nodes.

If it complains that hdparm is not installed, just apt-get it.

6. Makin' sandwiches---erm, filesystems

mkfs.vfat -v -n rpiBoot /dev/sdf1
...this will make a FAT32 filesystem on the first partition - if you get a command not found, apt-get dosfstools...
mkfs.ext4 -L rpiRoot -m 0 /dev/sdf2
...this will make a EXT4 partition on the second partition...
sync
...flush to disk...
sleep 1
hdparm -z /dev/sdf
7. The fun part! Make two mount points and mount them, then extract the boot partition and root partition tarballs. To make this part easy, I'll give it to you in one big command line. Make sure you change the /dev/sdf part to whatever your SD Card reader is (remember that you may be /dev/sdc or /dev/sdd ?) and also the path to the tarballs. Change the 256 to 512 if you have a beefy Pi (512MB RAM)

cd /tmp && mkdir bootpart && mkdir rootpart && mount /dev/sdf1 /tmp/bootpart && mount /dev/sdf2 /tmp/rootpart && cd /tmp/bootpart && tar vxpf /path/to/raspsrv-web-boot-build102-256MB.tar.xz . && cd /tmp/rootpart && tar vxpf /path/to/raspsrv-web-root-build102.tar.xz . && cd /tmp && sync && umount /dev/sdf1 && umount /dev/sdf2 && echo "MISSION COMPLETE"
Make sure you edit the things I told you to, or else you will get random failures. One you get "MISSION COMPLETE", then eject the SD Card, pop it into your R-Pi.

8. Plug and pray. Watch the HDMI output for any possible problems. If you don't have a keyboard attached, you may get an error when you get the "Checking if shift key is held down..." message. That's fine.

DID IT WORK?
If it did, then congratulations! Go get a raspberry pie and ice cream, and have that as a reward. Perhaps a coffee or beer to wash it down as well.

If it didn't, then let me know what error you get, and/or if it's a R-Pi kernel panic or something, take a photo of the TV message so I can see it. Or something.

Looking forward to hear the sounds of "Awesome!". :D

Boezelman

Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:44 am

Would really like to try this!
Simple .image would be nice though! :D

Thanks for your hard work!

benzeman

Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:48 am

Will give this a shot for both my 256MB pi, and the 512MB version when it arrives (hopefully today, monday at the latest).

milhouse

Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:18 am

Coburn wrote:Something I was going to add - would someone be kind to do a Raspberry Server logo? I'd put a shout out to you as a thanks. I was going to recolor the official logo to make it more server-like (maybe grey and black?) and add a few LAN cables behind the logo. But I'm not sure if the R-Pi Foundation would sue me then... :P
Maybe do the logo in ASCII art... ;-)

l0rdraiden

Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:53 pm

The only way to get the distro is to buy a sdcard (appart from the trackball)
What about new versions, we have to buy to you another sdcard? :?
Can't we get a downloadable version?

Coburn

Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:20 am

l0rdraiden wrote:The only way to get the distro is to buy a sdcard (appart from the trackball)
What about new versions, we have to buy to you another sdcard? :?
Can't we get a downloadable version?
I have not yet stated my updates policy for SD Cards that I'd sell, but most likely the upgrades are free if you're willing to do it yourself (download a image, and write that to SD card). However, I am thinking of a mail-in $10 upgrade fee for major updates (for example, if I update the distro base to use later versions of Raspbian or switch OS bases) which includes postage back to your location, and also preserves your data.

For the people who want an easy way out, fine. I'm doing a SD Card Image now.

l0rdraiden

Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:41 am

You are asking for help in the first post, are you going to pay to that people?
You are using open source software to do a remake of raspbian and asking for free help to others and then you are going to sell it?

benzeman

Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:13 pm

l0rdraiden wrote:You are asking for help in the first post, are you going to pay to that people?
You are using open source software to do a remake of raspbian and asking for free help to others and then you are going to sell it?
You've got the wrong end of the stick mate. Right now you can have the tarball for free, or you can buy an SD card. The IMG will wait until release.

l0rdraiden

Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:09 pm

Ok, sorry, you are right I got it totally wrong
I'm interested in your release because I want to setup a seedbox, although is not a webserver your light version may be better than raspbian

I'm not an expert to help with the releases, but I have done an extensive research to set up a seedbox with raspbian. Are you interested in release a seedbox version with rtorrent+rutorrent? let me know and I will post here the documentation.

PD: I don't have yet the raspberry pi

benzeman

Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:50 pm

Does this use Apache or ligthttpd? As I booted I noticed it starting lighthttpd, but it says in the OP that it has apache.

Also, I tried to visit the pi through it's IP (192.168.1.xxx), and it threw a wobbly - time to rebuild the SD card :L sorry, I didn't get a copy of the error messages...

pigeorgetaylor

Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:57 pm

I get a kernel Panic upon boot :(
Says something about a keyboard?

Dweeber

Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:22 am

Coburn wrote:If you aren't that savvy with linux - wait until I have pre-made SD Cards and buy one of them for zero-fuss installation.
Would imagine it would be a lot simpler to just make an img of it for downloading rather than having to deal with shipping out SDcards...
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...
My RPI Info Pages including Current Setup - http://rpi.tnet.com

Coburn

Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:21 am

Dweeber wrote:
Coburn wrote:If you aren't that savvy with linux - wait until I have pre-made SD Cards and buy one of them for zero-fuss installation.
Would imagine it would be a lot simpler to just make an img of it for downloading rather than having to deal with shipping out SDcards...
Good point, but some people would perfer a "supplied" solution rather than a solution that they deem "Too hard, even withthe instructions" or they aren't that tech-savvy or just plain chicken. Plus, it allows me to have a little bit of a income.

As for the issues, I'm about to test out the build on 4GB SD Card. I'll update you on the situation. To the people who reported issues, what version is your R-Pi? 256MB or 512MB ?

Coburn

Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:26 am

4GB SD Card Image created. Uploading very shortly (lunch break).

pigeorgetaylor

Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:07 pm

I have a 256mb Pi Rev 1 (Samsung 216 type).

Kernal Panic :cry:

Coburn

Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:27 am

Ugh, the resulting IMG file (made by dd on linux) when compressed is around ~2GB. No way in heck is my upload bandwidth going to cut the cake for 2GB of uploads.

Second try is using 7z 9.29 Alpha (make sure you install that version from sourceforge) on Ultra compression level and it currently is 20% in, with a ratio of 14%. Currently processed 1GB out of 4GB, and it's been squished down to 227MB.

Pre-post edit: Failed creating the archive - out of disk space on my SSD. Gah...

Edit 2: Going to break out my trusty 2GB SD and use that.

Edit 3:
I have a 256mb Pi Rev 1 (Samsung 216 type).
Hmm, that's the same type as mine. :?

cypher1024

Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:11 am

Dude, you are F :D ING AWESOME!

Have you got a paypal account? I'd like to donate a small slice ($10) towards your 512MB Pi.

Coburn

Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:42 am

Good news and bad news...

Good news is that the SD Card image has been made based on a 2GB SD. Confirmed and no panics on boot - 100% functional.

Bad news is that the SD Card image is actually 891MB big (compressed using 7z Ultra), and will take some time to upload. I tried again using XZ but it gave me the same result (891MB).

That's just for the 256MB R-Pi. The 512MB Image, would be another 891MB, but there's a work around, which involves replacing the kernel, and kernel modules with the 512MB kernel version.

I could always use my server to make the images for me, since that would be helpful...

Anyway, I'll upload this starting tonight and hopefully have a link ready tomorrow.

benzeman

Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:35 am

Does it use the latest kernel (i.e. memory splits controlled from config.txt)? You'd only need one image, as you specify 16MB of GPU memory and the rest (224MB or 496MB) is assigned to the ARM.

Also, have you thought of including raspcontrol? I expect some people would find it useful for remote management (without SSH).

Coburn

Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:39 am

benzeman wrote:Does it use the latest kernel (i.e. memory splits controlled from config.txt)? You'd only need one image, as you specify 16MB of GPU memory and the rest (224MB or 496MB) is assigned to the ARM.

Also, have you thought of including raspcontrol? I expect some people would find it useful for remote management (without SSH).
Ah, shoot, it doesn't. No wonder why we're getting random panics.

I'll do that and report back.

Return to “Networking and servers”