Oxwivi

Re: Sealed casing

Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:04 am

Looking at the alpha board, I don\'t think there\'s anything to remove or replace (as in traditional PCs where you can add cards, RAM, etc), so may I suggest the case be sealed?

fdufnews

Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:21 am

And how will you plug the screen or the keyboard?

obarthelemy

Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:23 am

There\'s connector pins that may not be quite at the edge of the board, no actual case to start with, and a removable SD card on the bottom of the board (I don\'t know yet if flush wit a border or not).
So... My guess is the case will be a basic 2 parts top+bottom affair, with a couple of screws to hold them together.
Any reason why sealed seemed important ?

kelytha

Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:52 am

There won\'t be a case in the base package.

And what would be the point in sealing it if there would be? This thing is about openness and being able to study and hack it as you want.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:11 pm

We\'ll be selling cases from early next year, but they won\'t be sealed. The full-frontal assault on schools which is planned for next year will need casing - but we are very keen to make sure that the case is removable, so kids who want to can hack the hardware. I\'m also pretty sure that some kids will want to customise their boards and make their own casing. (It\'s certainly what I\'d have done as a kid, and what I\'ll probably do as an adult too!)
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

abishur

Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:28 pm

Don\'t forget about the GPIO pins and UART and DSI pins... well you get the idea. There\'s actually a lot of internal connections that we would loose if you did a sealed case. Plus since part of the effort of the project is to give kids a PC they can really explore with, it would seem counter productive to seal it in un-openable case, doesn\'t it ;) :P
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

TonyD

Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:12 pm

[quote]Quote from abishur on October 26, 2011, 13:28
Don\'t forget about the GPIO pins and UART and DSI pins... well you get the idea. ..[/quote]
Yeap, the \"user port\" and \"analogue port\" where the most interesting ports (for me :-) ) on the original beeb, be a shame not to make R-Pi GPIO available.
Tony

Lakes

Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:39 pm

Not on a model B with all those extra connectors, but maybe for the model A, kind of like a double ended usb stick?

obarthelemy

Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:36 pm

That is a very old and obsolete picture, that has been superseded (and, for the umpteenth time, should have been taken down or at least complemented). The Model A will be very much like the model B, minus 1 ethernet and 1 USB port. Same board, broadly speaking.

Lakes

Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:38 pm

Ah, ok, I did`nt know that, thanks.

I actually liked the \"usb\" form factor, but I can see thats its easier to produce one PCB form factor for both models.

jg

Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:56 pm

[quote]Quote from liz on October 26, 2011, 13:11
We\'ll be selling cases from early next year, but they won\'t be sealed. The full-frontal assault on schools which is planned for next year will need casing - but we are very keen to make sure that the case is removable, so kids who want to can hack the hardware [/quote]

I hope the plan is for a transparent/translucent case, so they can see what is inside ?
- and a case that is smart enough to allow default I/O connector expansion (PCB outline provided) to be included inside the case, with something like a knockout for cable access ?

garyamort

Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:45 pm

[quote]Quote from Oxwivi on October 26, 2011, 12:04
Looking at the alpha board, I don\'t think there\'s anything to remove or replace (as in traditional PCs where you can add cards, RAM, etc), so may I suggest the case be sealed?[/quote]

I seriously hope not. Anything in the sub 50$ price range is something many people, myself included, are willing to take chances with and try to solder a wire someplace no reasonable person on earth would try because their too tiny.

Sealing it up so we can\'t cheerfully destroy the thing we love would be a crime.

Oxwivi

Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:50 pm

Call me crazy, but I like cleaning with water-based solutions. My place gets dusty extremely fast, would\'ve love to have it sealed since I wouldn\'t mess with it.

Guess I\'m just being selfish. :(

Burngate

Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:04 pm

A long time ago I heard that Tektronix, when refurbishing scopes, would dunk them in soapy water (don\'t know if it was actually true ... )
We did the same when oiks poured coffe in their keyboards. As long as you get all the soap out, use deionised water, and dry it *THOROUGHLY* before applying power, there\'s nowt wrong with it.
Though I heard of a woman phoned in, she\'d spilt a flower vase in her TV. We told her to let it dry for a couple of days before switching it on, and on NO account switch it on before that. So she put the phone down and straight away switched it on!

Firefox

Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:50 pm

Even if they don\'t hack the hardware, I think it\'d be a very valuable part of the educational experience for kids to get used to handling the bare board (providing the ESD protection is up to it, which it sounds like it is) just so that they don\'t build up the idea that computers contain forbidden/icky magic that must be locked away. That\'s a perception I encounter quite a lot even amongst people in the workplace - they get a bit agitated if you take the lid off a PC, despite being completely comfortable using them.

Oxwivi

Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:04 am

I rest my case. Can the topic be locked?

liz

Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:48 pm

I don\'t think we need to lock it; it\'s still an interesting discussion.

Re that forbidden/icky magic that Firefox mentions - I think what a lot of parents worry about is electricity. People believe that enclosures are there to protect them from what\'s inside, not to protect what\'s inside the box from knocks and static. And exposed pins just *look* scary if you don\'t know what they are. Even at Maker Faire I had some people ask me if it was safe to touch the bare board.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Lakes

Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:02 pm

Add a battery and one of those car reversing screens so you can wear it like a badge.

On the screen put a scrolly with \"Wanna touch my Pi?\" :D

aballen

Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:21 pm

I agree a case is needed, more for protection really. Something like a ponoko made case, like what was made for the SammichSID or Shruthi would be good enough to protect it in my bag. We would still need the connectors available through the sides.

Grast

Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:45 pm

A custom made hinged transparent tupperware style case might be more appropriate for this device.  It would allow the internal construction of the board to be visible as well as protecting the case from knocks and static discharge and would be easy to open and close.

Return to “General discussion”