petrockblog

Re: RetroPie Setup - Auto-installer/updater for RetroArch ga

Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:34 pm

Aloshi wrote:
petrockblog wrote:
knowbody wrote: @Aloshi: What would you suggest to hide this "supplementary" prboom.wad file?
Hmm...would it be possible to put it in another directory? I could modify the search to skip hidden files that start with ".", and you could rename it to ".prboom.wad". Would that work?
I have not figured out a way for letting the prboom libretro port look for prboom.wad at another directory than the rom directory.
Also, I just tried to make the prboom.wad hidden, but then prboom does not find it as well.
For an easy-to-use system, I thought that in the end the --gamelist-only option for emulation station might be at least one possibility to hide prboom.wad.
An alternative would be an explicit "hide" entry in the gamelist.xml, which would have to be implemented.
fun stuff for technics enthusiasts: www.petrockblock.com

Aloshi

Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:48 pm

Yeah, that would work. I'm thinking of switching es_systems.cfg over to an XML document. At the moment the config-reading code is very hacky and doesn't let me add new values easily. Unfortunately, this would break everyone's system configs...so I'm not sure if I want to do it.

(the reason it wasn't in XML to begin with is because I didn't add pugiXML, the XML parser I use, to the project until I added gamelists)

petrockblog

Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:18 pm

Aloshi wrote:I'm thinking of switching es_systems.cfg over to an XML document. At the moment the config-reading code is very hacky and doesn't let me add new values easily. Unfortunately, this would break everyone's system configs...so I'm not sure if I want to do it.

(the reason it wasn't in XML to begin with is because I didn't add pugiXML, the XML parser I use, to the project until I added gamelists)
That sounds like a good idea, which allows a quite easy extension for future demands. Just some brainstorming: I would say that keeping the compatibility to older systems is mandatory. You could check es_systems.cfg for an XML root element. If it is not existing you would use the existing key-value approach. If it is existing you can assume that es_systems.cfg has the new XML format and continue with that then.

teeth_03

Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:12 am

Woukd you guys want to get with the guy with the 360 controller driver to addin an option to install that as well?

Also, if i installed the SNES gpio driver but dont use it, how can i uninstall it?

petrockblog

Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:24 pm

teeth_03 wrote:Woukd you guys want to get with the guy with the 360 controller driver to addin an option to install that as well?

Also, if i installed the SNES gpio driver but dont use it, how can i uninstall it?
Hi, unfortunately, I do not have a XBox360 controller to test this out. However, if someone else has a working solution for reliably compiling and installing the xboxdrv I would be happy to include it in the RetroPie script!

petrockblog

Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:26 pm

Ok, following the instructions from "blc" (http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 48#p148248) I managed to compile gngeo and to start gngeo with Metal Slug 1. However, I can only see the first seconds of the splash video and get a segmentation fault afterwards. I included the installation script for gngeo in the recent commit of the >>RetroPie script<< - it would be great if someone has an idea how to solve this problem!

Jako

Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:43 pm

Petrock, what audio driver are you using for gngeo?
-Now i are at the job, but remember that gngeo always sounds very well at 3.5 jack (maybe sdl sound) from the begin of the RPI.
-Everytime that i get a segmentation error on RPI was due some audio issue (but a segmentation err could be for a memory direction too), maybe recompiling with other setup... i will give a try at home later or tomorrow.

Hope that it could help on something :(
Sorry, my english is awful, like me. XD

petrockblog

Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:08 pm

Jako wrote:Petrock, what audio driver are you using for gngeo?
-Now i are at the job, but remember that gngeo always sounds very well at 3.5 jack (maybe sdl sound) from the begin of the RPI.
-Everytime that i get a segmentation error on RPI was due some audio issue (but a segmentation err could be for a memory direction too), maybe recompiling with other setup... i will give a try at home later or tomorrow.

Hope that it could help on something :(
I did not enable the sound option (when starting gngeo from the command line) to limit the number of error sources.

Jerd

Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:08 pm

Today i installed retropie on a fresh sd-card. It works very well on snes emulation (once joypad and sound is added to the retroarch config). After some heavy digging in old boxes i managed to get uae4all working with a kick.rom file, and i found my old "stunt car racer"! Now for the question i do have: is it just me, or is this a uae4all-raspberian problem - but once a game-rom have been started, i cant quit it nor reset it. I smewhere read that "TAB + q" and "TAB + r" would do the trick but that's not working (on the same site it says button is emulated on left shift, but for me it was on left CTRL)

I took a quick glance at the c-code, but my knowlage in c isn't good enough i think. Would be awsome to map rom-quit to a joystick button so the emulation could run without a keyboard :-)

Best regards / Jon

Trixster

Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:12 pm

Hi,

When it comes to uae4all, where do you place a game's adf file? And also, where does the kick.rom go?

Jerd

Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:00 am

Trixster wrote:Hi,

When it comes to uae4all, where do you place a game's adf file? And also, where does the kick.rom go?
You should place kick.rom (if "pi" is the user you're using) at:

/home/pi/RetroPie/emulatorcores/uae4all/

The roms goes into

/home/pi/RetroPie/emulatorcores/uae4all/roms/

You start your Amiga emulation like this:

Code: Select all

cd /home/pi/RetroPie/emulatorcores/uae4all/
./uae4all

Trixster

Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:52 pm

Good man, I'll give it a shot when I'm home. Looking forward to trying stunt car racer and cannon fodder again!

Trixster

Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:37 pm

Got it working, fab work all involved! Speedball 2, running through a £25 Linux computer on a big LCD tele in the living room! Fantastic!

Now, anyone manged to get a USB Competition Pro joystick working? That would be heaven.

ipnd

Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:13 pm

Can anyone give me a guide as to how to put the BIOS and ROM files for neogeo? As far as I understood the BIOS file (neogeo.zip) goes in emulatorcores -> gngeo -> neogeo
The ROMS files goes in ROMS/neogeo (zipped)

I do own a really old NeoGeo system that is broken, so I geuss there are no legality issues with BIOS files for me?

I believe I have tried also unzipping neogeo and various ROMS in the folders without any luck. Help would really be appreciated :)

cjp87

Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:23 am

Hello, I just tried using your RetroPie script, and I can't seem to get it to start. I've tried installing it three times (tried once, then erased the files as outlined in this thread and tried again, then reflashed the SD card and tried again). All three times I received the same error:

* failed to open vchiq instance

Google searching this term seems to only bring up an IRC log of someone asking the same question, though I couldn't find an answer anywhere. Any ideas as to how I can fix this issue?

Thanks for all your efforts to make this happen.

petrockblog

Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:26 am

cjp87 wrote:Hello, I just tried using your RetroPie script, and I can't seem to get it to start. I've tried installing it three times (tried once, then erased the files as outlined in this thread and tried again, then reflashed the SD card and tried again). All three times I received the same error:

* failed to open vchiq instance
Using a fresh installation I can confirm this issue! Seems as if there were some recent updates that cause this problem. However, I need to have a closer look at this. If anyone finds a solution or has some suggestions, post them :-)

petrockblog

Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:45 am

Hmm, seems as if

sudo rpi-update 192
followed by a reboot via

sudo reboot
made it.

petrockblog

Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:17 pm

portets wrote:Dom updated the gpu driver in the firmware:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 4&p=188886
Thanks for that link!

To make your RetroPie installation work all you need to do is to reboot your Raspberry, e.g., via

sudo reboot

CodenameV

Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:53 pm

Hi All, think I may have found a typo in retropie_setup.sh , in the configuration file creation then pc engine has a platform id of 42 , this should be 34 . If you run the scraper without changing this it bombs out, hope this helps

CodenameV

petrockblog

Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:56 pm

CodenameV wrote:Hi All, think I may have found a typo in retropie_setup.sh , in the configuration file creation then pc engine has a platform id of 42 , this should be 34 . If you run the scraper without changing this it bombs out, hope this helps

CodenameV
Thank you for that!

I have just updated the script.

JJJJJJJJJJ

Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:00 pm

Hi
I've just downloaded emulation station but when I try and run it it says

/usr/bin/emulationstation line 9: ./emulationstation: No such file or directory
I did what it said on the tutorial but I still get this.

Thanks for any help in advance :D

Aloshi

Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:09 pm

JJJJJJJJJJ wrote:Hi

Thanks for any help in advance :D
You should be able to fix that with

mkdir ~/.emulationstation
But ES should automatically create this directory if it doesn't exist...strange. Let me know if that works.

petrockblog

Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:25 pm

JJJJJJJJJJ wrote:Hi

It seems as if something went wrong during the installation of (at least) Emulation Station. Did you use the source- or the binaries-based installation?
Did you expand the size of your root file system with raspi-config?
Could you post the content of the file RetroPie/debug.log here or send it to me as PM?

petrockblog

Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:46 pm

One thing: RetroPie Setup script has only been tested on the Raspbian distribution ....

Return to “Gaming”