RaspberryCheesecake

Self Designed Case for Rapid Prototype

Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:43 pm

I have designed a case for my own amusement for the Pi, this is designed to be strapped to my telescope body so that I can use it in the future for image capture, hopefully in the more distant future also scope control and maybe even remote access through the internet!

I have designed it in two parts, top and bottom so that it can be easily split, I have the rev 2 board with the mounting holes so that I can locate it properly, just need to physically measur emy board now to check that everything is in the right place. I used a CAD model of the board to initially design it but want to be sure that my board does fit befor eI have it made.

I also need to design somehting into the lid to stop the board droping in the case in the likely event that it finds itself upside down. With it being made by rapid prototype I have been able to design in some features that couldn't be achieved with convential machining such as the slots for the straps at the base.

All comments are welcome.
Attachments
RPi_Case_Assy3.png
RPi_Case_Assy3.png (36.89 KiB) Viewed 4024 times
RPi_Case_Assy2.png
RPi_Case_Assy2.png (48.23 KiB) Viewed 4024 times

jfornango

Re: Self Designed Case for Rapid Prototype

Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:09 pm

Very slick.

And, you have found my only complaint about the RPi, no mounting holes. On the plus side, I have some toughts on getting around this.

Thought 1: I have seen nylon standoffs that are side-clip, instead of top screw. A couple of those with some mounting holes in the base would have you set up pretty good. (I remember seeing them on Adafruit, though I can't find them now. You might PM LadyAda about them)

Thought 2: Since this is a milled case, design in a couple of ledges around the outside, on both the top and bottom. The ledges can hold the board in place. (let me know if you're having trouble visualizing it, I can do some quick and dirty drawings, if needed)
I'm only wearing black until they find something darker.

jfornango

Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:51 pm

Check this thread for another idea on how to secure the board. http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 40&t=13808
I'm only wearing black until they find something darker.

RaspberryCheesecake

Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:56 pm

Thanks for the info, but I think I'm covered. I've got a rev2 board with the mounting holes in.

This will be made by rapid prototype (also known as 3D printing) so no concerns with milling. Problem is I can't thread it so I need to capture the board between the plastic.

RaspberryCheesecake

Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:45 am

Have just realised that the model I got from GrabCAD is slightly out on the dimensions. My board is 2mm wider.

thexman

Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:31 pm

Forget 3d printing go for Sla rapid prototyping costs slightly more how ever much better quality
one armed controls engineer, my grammar is bad but lets face it most keyboards don't suit a one armed man

Ravenous

Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:37 pm

Very cool case design. You've even put the curve in the base to strap it right against the tube.

You could put a "gunsight" on each end of the lid to use it as a Telrad/aiming device...

RaspberryCheesecake

Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:43 pm

I'm not sure if it is SLA or 3D printing, it's a friend getting it made at work. I will post pictures when I have it, with and without the board in.

I've changed it a little from the pictures above, added a window to see the LEDs with the wording from the board etched into the side. Given more shape to the HDMI and power ports. But most different is the RPi logo on top will not go all the way through, it would be too weak and break.

RaspberryCheesecake

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:19 am

Well it's been a few months since I posted the original CAD rendering of this case and I am pleased to say that it has completed it's build, at last. The delay was due to some holidays and machine failures in the place where it was being made, it was being done for free so I didn't push it.

The only difference from the rendering is that the RPi logo on the top no longer goes all the way through as this was seen as being brittle and would therefore break. The lid and the base snap together though may not stand up to a lot of opening and closing withough some other means of attachement, if I re-designed I would include a clip.

The board fits perfectly inside with no fettling required, all the connectors are accessible and the leads fit through the holes. The only slight issue is that it wobbles a little as it is only supported on the two mounting posts and there is no slot for the cable to come out of for th eCSI Camera Module which I hope to get someday.

And yes, the radius on the bottom is a perfect fit for my telescope body. just have to decide where it is going to go, which may be dependant upon the length of the camera module cable.
Attachments
photo 2.JPG
Case with the lid off
photo 2.JPG (52.04 KiB) Viewed 3017 times
photo 1.JPG
Case with the lid on
photo 1.JPG (42.83 KiB) Viewed 3017 times

AstroMelly

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:19 am

Hi there

I'm very interested in this as an astronomer who is also an astrophotographer. What sort of software will you be running and what cameras are you controlling?

Iain

RaspberryCheesecake

Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:58 pm

AstroMelly wrote:Hi there

I'm very interested in this as an astronomer who is also an astrophotographer. What sort of software will you be running and what cameras are you controlling?

Iain
Hi Iain, sorry to day that I'm not that far along yet, I was originally planning to drive an EQ5 mount with this probably running a compatible version of Stellarium if I can find one but until then I'm not sure. It's just an idea that I had to have a small PC to drive the telescope and take the feed from a USB camera without having to have a laptop outside with the scope. But it may take a long time to get it right.

Return to “Other projects”