SabrinaZ
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:13 pm

Raspberry Pi Hardware Security Solution

Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:38 pm

Hi everyone -

I'm doing research on where software developers and RPi users "hangout" online such as forums, blogs, news sites etc. The goal of this research is to bring awareness to my company's product - a great handy plug-in hardware security module for RPi: https://www.zymbit.com/zymkey/

Let me know of any sites/platforms we should publicize on to let more people know of this security solution. It's a simple yet effective solution that can help developers looking to secure their devices :D

Key features:
- Multifactor Device ID & Authentication
- Data Encryption & Signing
- Key Storage & Generation
- Physical Tamper Detection
- Secure Element Hardware Root of Trust

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 14847
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Raspberry Pi Hardware Security Solution

Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:53 pm

Not sure what market you're addressing, but I note that (a) it costs more than the base cost of a Pi, and (b) anyone who gets physical access to the PI can remove it. Thus, I fail to see the point or the utility.

SabrinaZ
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:13 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi Hardware Security Solution

Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:36 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote: Not sure what market you're addressing, but I note that (a) it costs more than the base cost of a Pi, and (b) anyone who gets physical access to the PI can remove it. Thus, I fail to see the point or the utility.
Our market is for both beginners and more advanced developers who are looking for an effective plug-in security solution:
(a) The product is aimed towards people who are looking to protect their digital assets - which may be much more valuable than the $43 product price.
(b) The physical tamper detection feature (perimeter detect) will activate self-destruct, protecting the data and assets from unwanted infiltrators.

jolsson68
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:56 am

Re: Raspberry Pi Hardware Security Solution

Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:16 am

Hi,

I am very interested in zymbit's products, especially the HSM4 module. Are there any plans to support the RPi Pico/RP2040 MCU with these products, or perhaps future products of yours? I have been looking everywhere for a compact HSM solution (like the HSM4) with proper physical tamper protection to integrate with the RPi Pico. If it would feature a PKCS#11 API as well would be like icing on the cake. :)

Best regards,
Jörgen Olsson

User avatar
zwieblum
Posts: 95
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:55 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Raspberry Pi Hardware Security Solution

Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:42 pm

Sorry to ask, but what should this thing do? Or what does it do that's not already available in software for free?
Looking for professional help? https://klepp.biz

jolsson68
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:56 am

Re: Raspberry Pi Hardware Security Solution

Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:32 am

zwieblum wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:42 pm
Sorry to ask, but what should this thing do? Or what does it do that's not already available in software for free?
An HSM is a protected execution environment in which cipher operations can be executed using keys stored within the HSM, while maintaining the confidentiality of the key material. These operations may be offered to the outside world via a controlled and authenticated interface without exposing the keys. The HSM typically also has a self destruct (tamper) mechanism that destroys its stored cipher keys upon detected intrusion attempts.

This is something that software only in an open execution environment cannot do. You can have a key securely stored by encrypting it, but if you want to do any cipher operations using this key, you need to use it in cleartext in a (more or less) non-secure execution environment, which, if the key is very sensitive, makes it compromised by definition.

SabrinaZ
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:13 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi Hardware Security Solution

Sat May 15, 2021 12:05 am

jolsson68 wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:16 am
Hi,

I am very interested in zymbit's products, especially the HSM4 module. Are there any plans to support the RPi Pico/RP2040 MCU with these products, or perhaps future products of yours? I have been looking everywhere for a compact HSM solution (like the HSM4) with proper physical tamper protection to integrate with the RPi Pico. If it would feature a PKCS#11 API as well would be like icing on the cake. :)

Best regards,
Jörgen Olsson
We require a debian-based operating system for the Zymbit products, so the short answer is we really don't support the Pico. Feel free to reach out to support@zymbit.com if you have any more questions!

Return to “For sale”