loboris

Re: New Ubuntu Mate arm64 RaspberryPi 4 image (minimal and server images also available)

Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:58 am

m][sko wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:37 pm
bugreport:
Can remove pi-bluetooth package
pi-bluetooth is used also by some other packages, so don't remove it.
It can be removed, but you have to remove the diversions manually first.
The package is small, so it is not an issue to have it installed.

dony71

Re: New Ubuntu Mate arm64 RaspberryPi 4 image (minimal and server images also available)

Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:21 am

Try to install wireguard-tools >> sudo apt install wireguard-tools
and something terrible bad happens
I'm using raspi_ubuntu_focal_arm64_btrfs.img.xz

Code: Select all

Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
Setting up initramfs-tools (0.136ubuntu6.3) ...
update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
Setting up linux-image-5.8.0-43-generic (5.8.0-43.49~20.04.1) ...
Failed to create symlink to vmlinuz-5.4.83~lobo-arm64+: Operation not permitted at /usr/bin/linux-update-symlinks line 64.
dpkg: error processing package linux-image-5.8.0-43-generic (--configure):
 installed linux-image-5.8.0-43-generic package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of linux-image-virtual-hwe-20.04-edge:
 linux-image-virtual-hwe-20.04-edge depends on linux-image-5.8.0-43-generic; however:
  Package linux-image-5.8.0-43-generic is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package linux-image-virtual-hwe-20.04-edge (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Setting up flash-kernel (3.103ubuntu1~20.04.1) ...
Using DTB: bcm2711-rpi-4-b.dtb
Couldn't find DTB bcm2711-rpi-4-b.dtb on the following paths: /etc/flash-kernel/dtbs /usr/lib/linux-image- /lib/firmware//device-tree/
Installing  into /boot/dtbs//./bcm2711-rpi-4-b.dtb
cp: cannot stat '': No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing package flash-kernel (--configure):
 installed flash-kernel package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.136ubuntu6.3) ...
ln: failed to create hard link '/boot/initrd.img-5.4.83~lobo-arm64+.dpkg-bak' => '/boot/initrd.img-5.4.83~lobo-arm64+': Operation not permitted
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.4.83~lobo-arm64+
Couldn't find DTB bcm2711-rpi-4-b.dtb on the following paths: /etc/flash-kernel/dtbs /usr/lib/linux-image-5.4.83~lobo-arm64+ /lib/firmware/5.4.83~lobo-arm64+/device-tree/
Installing  into /boot/dtbs/5.4.83~lobo-arm64+/./bcm2711-rpi-4-b.dtb
run-parts: /etc/initramfs/post-update.d//flash-kernel exited with return code 1
dpkg: error processing package initramfs-tools (--configure):
 installed initramfs-tools package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 linux-image-5.8.0-43-generic
 linux-image-virtual-hwe-20.04-edge
 flash-kernel
 initramfs-tools
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

ebh-mor175

Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:09 pm

dony71 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:21 am
Try to install wireguard-tools >> sudo apt install wireguard-tools
and something terrible bad happens
I'm using raspi_ubuntu_focal_arm64_btrfs.img.xz

Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
Setting up initramfs-tools (0.136ubuntu6.3) ...
Setting up linux-image-5.8.0-43-generic (5.8.0-43.49~20.04.1) ...
Failed to create symlink to vmlinuz-5.4.83~lobo-arm64+: Operation not permitted at /usr/bin/linux-update-symlinks line 64.
dpkg: error processing package linux-image-5.8.0-43-generic (--configure):
 installed linux-image-5.8.0-43-generic package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of linux-image-virtual-hwe-20.04-edge:
 linux-image-virtual-hwe-20.04-edge depends on linux-image-5.8.0-43-generic; however:
  Package linux-image-5.8.0-43-generic is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package linux-image-virtual-hwe-20.04-edge (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Setting up flash-kernel (3.103ubuntu1~20.04.1) ...
Couldn't find DTB bcm2711-rpi-4-b.dtb on the following paths: /etc/flash-kernel/dtbs /usr/lib/linux-image- /lib/firmware//device-tree/
Installing  into /boot/dtbs//./bcm2711-rpi-4-b.dtb
dpkg: error processing package flash-kernel (--configure):
 installed flash-kernel package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.136ubuntu6.3) ...
ln: failed to create hard link '/boot/initrd.img-5.4.83~lobo-arm64+.dpkg-bak' => '/boot/initrd.img-5.4.83~lobo-arm64+': Operation not permitted
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.4.83~lobo-arm64+
Couldn't find DTB bcm2711-rpi-4-b.dtb on the following paths: /etc/flash-kernel/dtbs /usr/lib/linux-image-5.4.83~lobo-arm64+ /lib/firmware/5.4.83~lobo-arm64+/device-tree/
Installing  into /boot/dtbs/5.4.83~lobo-arm64+/./bcm2711-rpi-4-b.dtb
run-parts: /etc/initramfs/post-update.d//flash-kernel exited with return code 1
dpkg: error processing package initramfs-tools (--configure):
 installed initramfs-tools package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 linux-image-5.8.0-43-generic
 linux-image-virtual-hwe-20.04-edge
 flash-kernel
 initramfs-tools
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
If you do this :
1 - sudo apt install flash-kernel (if not already installed)
2 - copy all .dtb files from /boot to /etc/flash-kernel/dtbs
3 - as root : echo “Raspberry Pi 4 Model B” > /etc/flash-kernel/machine
4 - dpkg --configure flash-kernel

you will obtain the message : "unsupported platform"

so I think it's a flash-kernel's package problem

NicknDi

Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:30 pm

Unable to use webcam

Does anyone using the latest loboris image have a working webcam able to use any of the common video meeting platforms? If so could you kindly post as much detail about your setup as possible, eg which RPi4 board, which OS image, which webcam, which video platform(s) it works on, any configuration tweaks you had to make.

I have a RPi4B 8GB Rev 1.4 with raspi_ubuntu_groovy_arm64_btrs booting and running from a 500GB SSD drive in an IcyBox enclosure. I can't be certain I've had a webcam fully working with the latest 20.10 based image, but was certainly making satisfactory calls on Google Hangouts during the latter part of last year, using a Logitech C270 webcam on a powered usb hub. Then early this year things suddenly went pear shaped and the video would start stuttering and freezing. I tried a vanilla Raspbian installation on an SD card but it made no difference. I think it was at that point I realised loboris had released a 20.10 image late last year so I did a clean installation and was delighted to discover the webcam working again, though only for a brief while and never tested on a full length video call*. Then I saw the PiHut were selling a cheap HD webcam which they claimed had been tested and should work out of the box, so I bought one. It's never worked, either with Groovy or the latest recommended Raspberry OS. The full story is here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=303998 where a more experienced user than me, having exactly the same issue, has tried, unsuccessfully so far, to get it working.

Can anyone here throw any light or help with diagnosis?

And just to add: I was an early adopter of @loboris' image, during the same period trying other images, including the official Raspberry OS, which I think involved various tweaks to the firmware and/or the bootloader. This is an area where my understanding is pretty weak, but I'm wondering if it's possible that at some stage there's been a change that's caused my system to not boot, or access usb devices, in a standard way. I'm reluctant to try to roll back firmware or anything similar, a) because I don't fully understand the implications, and b) don't want to mess up the current (loboris) OS setup which is in daily use for everything apart from video calling.

Edit: * I've just remembered and re-read my enthusiastic post here at the end of January. With hindsight it appears I spoke too soon!

loboris

Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:49 pm

NicknDi wrote:
Unable to use webcam
I have a cheap web camera (Defender C-110) which works without issues on my Ubuntu 20.10 image.
Most web cameras do not need any tweaks or drivers and should just work. Some applications using it may have some issues, test the camera first with some applications which are known to work (I think webcamoid is installed in my image, you can also install cheese).
I did't tested it with any meetingsoftware, but it works using motion for web streaming (I can watch a stream on another PC)...

NicknDi

Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:01 pm

loboris wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:49 pm
NicknDi wrote:
Unable to use webcam
I have a cheap web camera (Defender C-110) which works without issues on my Ubuntu 20.10 image.
Most web cameras do not need any tweaks or drivers and should just work. Some applications using it may have some issues, test the camera first with some applications which are known to work (I think webcamoid is installed in my image, you can also install cheese).
I did't tested it with any meetingsoftware, but it works using motion for web streaming (I can watch a stream on another PC)...
Thanks for this. My understanding was that, certainly with earlier RPis, there were issues with webcams (https://elinux.org/RPi_USB_Webcams) but I thought they'd been largely eliminated with the RPi4 and more recent OS updates. I've basically been using two, a Logitech C270 and an A4Tech PK-910H. I bought the latter from the PiHut when the Logitech stopped working on the Pi (it's fine on my Manjaro desktop). Ironically it's the Logitech which should have no problems (http://ideasonboard.org/uvc/#devices) whereas there may be issues with the A4Tech (or some versions of it: https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-med ... 83558.html).

Anyway, I've now tested both cameras as you suggest and this is the result:- (NB both webcams have built-in microphones)

Webcamoid
Logitech: camera lights up momentarily, a window launches, turns black, then reproduces the entire desktop within its frame, then another proportionately reduced desktop within that, and again and again apparently infinitely receding.
A4Tech: window frame appears but isn't filled - that area of the desktop still visible, ie like a pane of clear glass with a top bar; mouse completely freezes.
Cheese
Logitech: window launches and shows rather laggy video.
A4Tech: launches clear, fluid video. But then launching PulseAudio Volume Control crashes Cheese (it vanishes from the desktop) and the mouse becomes jerky and unresponsive.
Zoom test meeting (Chromium browser)
Logitech: Mouse becomes unusably unresponsive, without quite freezing. Message "Your browser is preventing access to the microphone" even though permission has been given. Also "Please update browser to latest edition."
A4Tech: Camera comes on for several seconds, but no video, then camera goes off and mouse freezes.

I'm increasingly convinced there's an issue involving usb and audio configuration. Throughout the tests above I've not had audio out active, but at other times, testing on Raspbian (I can't see how to change it in Mate - PulseAudio just shows what's active & doesn't offer the other options, unlike the Raspbian audio config) I've found the video stream does work, laggily, if audio out is set to HDMI, but freezes immediately, usually taking the mouse with it, when set to Analogue jack out. Another user has reported the same.

What to make of it all?

KlausTrophobie

Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:47 pm

loboris wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:49 am

WONDERFULL! This Appimage hasn´t been there last time. Now it runs real fast and smooth. Thanks for hinting at it again.

Now a very last wish before I have my educational image of choice: I whould like to ask if there is a was to get a 64bit ARM build of ungoogled chromium https://ungoogled-software.github.io/un ... -binaries/ to run on ubuntu mate arm64.

More info: https://ungoogled-software.github.io/about/

Did anyone find a way how to get this to run on loboris image ?

THANK YOU SO MUCH for such a gread community.
Klaus,
RaspiGeek

CedrictheBrave

Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:21 pm

geat work on this i have set it up on an sd card and it runs very well
i tried the SSD via USB3 port and get the UAC issue mentioned earlier how do you disable this?

many thanks

CedrictheBrave

Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:53 pm

ignore me i am clearly lacking !
fixed the issue by adding the quirks info and the USB3 has booted in majestic fasion

many thnks

CedrictheBrave

Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:45 am

this is a great build thanks
only issue I am having is I cannot mount a network drive on my NAS
or any windows drives other Raspbian folders mount ok
error I get is 'Failed to mount Windows share: software caused connection abort'

any help gratefully received

dwpzn

Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:46 pm

Hi there.

Thanks great image to use. Took the 32 Bit ext4 version.

Is it possible to get Steam Link running on this? steam libffi6 ran into this dependency problem, wanted to know how i could manually load it?

BIRBA-2018

Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:40 am

I'm rather new but ..why not use the official Ubuntu mate for raspberry pi 4 ? I've been using it for 2 months on my RPI 48 GB and it works like a charm. Not to create any flames, I'm just curious.

https://ubuntu-mate.org/raspberry-pi/

KlausTrophobie

Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:19 am

BIRBA-2018 wrote:
I'm rather new but ..why not use the official Ubuntu mate for raspberry pi 4 ? I've been using it for 2 months on my RPI 48 GB and it works like a charm. Not to create any flames, I'm just curious.

20.10 vs. 20.04 ?
Klaus,
RaspiGeek

KlausTrophobie

Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:25 am

Sorry to bother again. I´m still there to try to get ungoogled-chromium to run on 20.10 64bit Mate Ubuntu - but I fail not finding a source which works ;(

I found the following:
I know it´s for focal.

https://software.opensuse.org/download/ ... d_chromium

It should be possible to integrate ungchrm via the described steps. But when trying I get the following errors:

depends on libicu66 (>=66.1-1~)
depends on libre2-5 (>= 20160901)
depends on ungoogled-chromium-common (= 84.0.4147.135-1.focal1)

Does anyone ever got ungoogled-chromium to run on this ? It´s the only puzzlepiece I miss so far to give this system a "GO" for daily use...

All the best,
Klaus
Klaus,
RaspiGeek

B.Goode

Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:57 am

Canonical/Ubuntu Developer Contact information here -
viewtopic.php?f=131&t=254649&p=1556639& ... l#p1556639
This is probably the wrong place to discuss a lot of this; there's absolutely no point complaining to the fine folks at the Pi Foundation about Ubuntu. Bug me instead (see below for more information on how to bug Dave)!
As already mentioned by others, https://ubuntuforums.org/ and https://askubuntu.com/ are good places to ask about things like this.

BIRBA-2018

Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:15 am

KlausTrophobie wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:19 am
BIRBA-2018 wrote:

20.10 vs. 20.04 ?
definitely 20.10

NicknDi

Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:53 pm

A couple of minor irritations I'd be grateful for help with. Both are related to my earlier posts about difficulty getting a usb webcam set up to work on video calling platforms. It turns out that a major contributor to the problem was that I was using the analogue jack for audio output rather than HDMI, and for reasons that have still not been diagnosed this freezes the mouse and camera. (See here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=306408 ) To get round the problem until a fix is implemented I've got hold of a little usb soundcard, which works fine, outputting the audio to analogue without affecting anything else. But that gives rise to my first niggle:

1. The sound settings do not survive a reboot, so every time I want to use the webcam I have to reset output to the soundcard. Is this a glitch in the OS or have I missed something?

2. There seems a consensus that Chromium handles most web video platforms better than Firefox and I've found the same. But every time I launch Chromium it asks for password verification. Is there a way of preventing this or giving it lasting permission?

kimharding

Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:48 pm

Great image, really easy to get started with.

Just out of interest has anyone tried using it as a server to run Nextcloud on? If yes, how did you get on?

kimharding

Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:59 pm

To answer my own question: after two days of trying, no is not easy to set up Nextcloud on this version Ubuntu, as NextcloudPi will only run on Ubuntu 20.04 (Focal Foss) :-(

pidgeonPI

Re:Ubuntu Mate arm64 RaspberryPi 4 (20.10) server image not working on ArgonOne M.2

Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:39 am

loboris wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:57 pm
I wanted to use arm64 OS on RaspberryPi 4 and I was not quite satisfied with Ubuntu for RPi nor with (un)official RaspberryPI OS arm64 image.
So, I've created a new image built from scratch using core Ubuntu focal (20.04 LTS release) built with debootstrap, fine tuned Mate desktop and RaspberryPi related packages modified to work best on arm64.

For steps needed to upgrade from Ubuntu 20.04 to 20.10 see this post.
Features:
  • Built from scratch using debootstrap and docker...
  • RaspberryPi related packages provided in my own repository (configured in apt sources), following packages are provided:
    • kernel packages for 4.19, 5.4 (default, installed), 5.6, 5.7 and 5.8 built from raspberry sources, header packages are also included, RaspberryPi boot files are included in the packages
    • Boot from USB supported
      :!: If the SATA<->USB controller in your drive enclosure is not UAS compatible (most are not), you have to remember to add usb-storage.quirks=xxxx:yyyy:u to the end of cmdline.txt to prevent using UAS. This must be done before the first boot (on your PC).
      (Replace xxxx:yyyy with the USB ID of your controller.)
    • Chromium browser from Debian bullseye (installed), works better than Ubuntu's snap chromium-browser
    • pi-bluetooth (installed), BT works without issues
    • WiFi works without issues
    • libraspberrypi-bin, userspace programs (installed)
    • rc-gui, RaspberryPi graphical configuration (installed)
    • wiringpi, ver 2.60 (installed)
    • rpi-eeprom (installed)
    • rp-bookshelf (installed)
    • smplayer and smtube (recommended for watching Youtube videos), latest version (20.60), built from sources (installed)
    • ffmpeg, including ffplay, built with mmal video decoder
    • Eclipse for RPi (2020-03, arm64 only), thanks to Clicky
    • CodeLite, latest version, newer than Ubuntu's, built from source
    • WPS Office, excelent office package, latest version (only available on arm64)
    • and more...
    • The repositoy will be updated regularly with new kernels and other packages.
  • root file system installed on btrfs, subvolume is used which makes backups and snapshots easy
    Compression (zstd, level 3) is used which saves ~40% of the sdcard space and also makes sdcard access faster (if running from reletivelly slow cards)
  • SSH server installed and enebled, you can remote login as user (pi) or root
  • boots from sdcard, sdcard inserted into USB reader or from USB-SSD
Downloads: (updated on November 27. 2020.)
The image can be downloaded from Mega Cloud drive:
raspi_ubuntu_focal_arm64_btrfs.img.xz,
md5sum file
is also available, if you want to check downloaded file's integrity before writting to sdcard.

Ateranative download location: raspi_ubuntu_focal_arm64_btrfs.img.xz

Ubuntu Mate armhf image is also available if anyone needs it
raspi_ubuntu_focal_armhf_btrfs.img.xz (md5sum file)

Server image (no desktop), included: raspi-config, aptitude, LAMP, webmin, phpmyadmin, development tools, ...
raspi_ubuntu_focal_arm64_server_btrfs.img.xz (md5sum file)

Minimal image (no desktop), included only the base packages
raspi_ubuntu_focal_arm64_minimal_btrfs.img.xz (md5 csum file)

Anyone who prefers ext4 over btrfs can try images with ext4 file system:
arm64 Mate desktop image:
raspi_ubuntu_focal_arm64_ext4.img.xz (md5 csum file)
arm64 minimal image:
raspi_ubuntu_focal_arm64_minimal_ext4.img.xz (md5 scum file)
All images are for Raspberry Pi 4 only!
The image can be flashed with any image flashing program, for example Raspberry Pi Imager.
On first boot the system will be restarted once, after resizing the file system!

Notes:
  • Default user name is pi, password raspberry, you can change it in Mate Control Center Image
  • Default root's password is raspberry, root login over SSH is enabled
  • Default language is English, time zone UTC. You can change it from Control Center using Ubuntu provided tools or Raspberry Pi Configuration program.
  • Synaptic package manager is installed and recommended for updates and package installation/management
  • There is some screen tearing when moving windows horizontally with Marco adaptive compositor enabled (a known Rpi issue), you can disable it from MateTweaks in Control Center (No tearing on 20.10 images!)
  • Video playback is hw accelerated in VLC and SMPlayer, in Chromium, video playback is ok in 720p and 1080p/<=30Hz
  • On armhf image Chromium runs without sandbox! (On 20.10 image Firefox is used as the default browser)
  • If you want to boot this Ubuntu Mate image from USB drive (sdcard in usb reader, usb ssd, usb hd), the RPi4 eeprom must have new firmware (at least from Jul 15 2020).
    See this post for more info about how to update the eeprom.
  • You may experience some issues if/when using Update manager, explained here (only with older kernel versions).

Video review from leepspvideo

HI @loboris

RPI4-8G (18-03-21 Bootloader)

Firedup the 20.10 server arm64 image and it is not booting on argonone m.2, guessing m.2 addon board hardware is not supported in the image?

but, the standard ubuntu 20.10 server image from ubuntu boots fine.

Thanks, amazing image when i had used it in the past.

forbiddenera

Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:37 am

Found this image looking for a 'minimal' install as I want to get the system as lean as possible and booting into a chromium kiosk as quick as possible, was hoping to setup the most minimal system then install X and lightdm/chromium for kiosk mode as currently, I was developing on a Pi4B with the official 20.04, using lightdm, though the Chromium snap seems to be missing some features? WebUSB/WebSerial/WebBT do not work.. was going to compile myself, you say your version 'works better' but don't clarify..?

curious if MATE is a better option than lightdm. As I'm using kiosk mode fullscreen, I don't actually need a window manager, desktop environment or any other GUI apps besides Chromium.

Ideally I want to get booted to full screen Chromium in under 20 seconds. I'm not against using some sort of hibernation tricks even but ideally would rather just get it light enough to not require that.

Also, does this use u-boot or what? On my pi4b with regular Ubuntu, I had to recompile u-boot for two reasons - to eliminate the boot delay and prevent it from spitting anything to the UART console (which will be used otherwise)
Last edited by forbiddenera on Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

forbiddenera

Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:43 am

Trying to optimize the minimal before I start adding stuff back on.

I'm getting a few errors on boot that I was able to clear up:

systemd-gpt-auto-generator[113]: Failed to determine block device of root file system: No such file or directory
systemd[107]: /usr/lib/systemd/system-generators/systemd-gpt-auto-generator failed with exit status 1.
systemd[29]: kmod-static-nodes.service: Failed to execute command: No such file or directory
systemd[1]: kmod-static-nodes.service: Filed with result 'exit-code'
systemd[1]: Failed to start Create list of static device nodes for the current kernel
brcmfmac mmc1:0001:1: Direct firmwre lod for brcm/brcmfmac4355-sdio.raspberrypi,4-model-b.txt failed with error -2
To fix the firmware error:

wget https://github.com/openwrt/cypress-nvram/blob/master/brcmfmac43455-sdio.raspberrypi%2C4-model-b.txt into /lib/firmware/brcm ..
dmesg now doesn't have the error and also says 'brcmf_cfg80211_set_powermgmt: power save enabled', so hopefully that saves some extra power.

edit: although, after doing the above now it says the same but for -compute-module (I am using CM4), so i aliased the above to -compute-module.txt and now it's gone..

I'm not sure systemd-gpt-auto-generator is even needed in this setup but it seems the only way to disable it is going into /usr/lib, which I usually try to avoid as package managers can overwrite.. Moving it out of /usr/lib gets rid of the error though.

Not sure if we need kmod-static-nodes either. Does this use a custom kernel? How does the config vary from regular Ubuntu / PiOS..?

systemctl mask kmod-static-nodes
removes that error as well

so I'm also curious about

dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d

don't see this used on regular raspi ubuntu..? and I see v3d processes after boot?
Last edited by forbiddenera on Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

forbiddenera

Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:20 am

Still curious what's different in your Chromium - for 20.04, it's currently an older version (83) - possible to get a newer one..?

I may just have to compile it to get the features I want..snap isn't doing it on my other pi..and chromium authors don't know why it's happening as on other arm64 the apis I need work..

Edit: WebSerial and WebUSB are both available in your version of Chromium which is yay for me, would be absolutely awesome if you can update it to current or provide instructions for me as I'd rather keep it as a package instead of just raw compiling it

thanks..!

forbiddenera

Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:12 am

I also can't seem to find a way to update the initramfs ..?

I installed plymouth to setup a custom boot screen but it doesn't appear to be working..?

normally update-initramfs is a thing..trying to install it gives:

Processing triggers for man-db (2.9.1-1) ...
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.136ubuntu6.4) ...
ln: failed to create hard link '/boot/initrd.img-5.4.83-1~lobo-arm64.dpkg-bak' => '/boot/initrd.img-5.4.83-1~lobo-arm64': Operation not permitted
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.4.83-1~lobo-arm64
W: missing /lib/modules/5.4.83-1~lobo-arm64
W: Ensure all necessary drivers are built into the linux image!
depmod: ERROR: could not open directory /lib/modules/5.4.83-1~lobo-arm64: No such file or directory
depmod: FATAL: could not search modules: No such file or directory
cat: /var/tmp/mkinitramfs_JV4QxP/lib/modules/5.4.83-1~lobo-arm64/modules.builtin: No such file or directory
find: ‘/var/tmp/mkinitramfs_JV4QxP/lib/modules/5.4.83-1~lobo-arm64/kernel’: No such file or directory
depmod: WARNING: could not open modules.order at /var/tmp/mkinitramfs_JV4QxP/lib/modules/5.4.83-1~lobo-arm64: No such file or directory
depmod: WARNING: could not open modules.builtin at /var/tmp/mkinitramfs_JV4QxP/lib/modules/5.4.83-1~lobo-arm64: No such file or directory
/lib/modules/5.4.83-1~lobo-arm64+ exists however/lib/modules/5.4.83-1~lobo-arm64 does not >?

Also, I notice the platform tag is arm64 not raspi as it is on regular ubuntu..? are you building from scratch sources then not basing off an existing raspi kernel?

I should note that other than some weird differences (I think DHCP should be enabled by default and the boot differences (dunno if using u-boot, can't update init for plymouth) are a bit confusing) so far this minimal is working GREAT. I've got it booting to Chromium in under 20 seconds. Very happy with that. Just need a boot screen and to figure out how to get rid of the first 3-4 kernel log lines that show up before graphical kicks in (also happens on my pi4b with regular ubuntu, tried setting console to a different tty, quiet, bunch of stuff, always have a few lines leaking through) and I'm set for my app! Maybe recompile the kernel to remove a few un-needed things to help boot even more (although kernel is about 2.2sec, userspace is most) Thanks for your hard work.

Startup finished in 2.274s (kernel) + 8.967s (userspace) = 11.242s
graphical.target reached after 8.948s in userspace
36.5 seconds from 'sudo reboot' to Chromium on screen ready to go. (My Pi4B running regular Pi Ubuntu with the same lightdm config takes about 1 min 30 seconds)
34 seconds from plugging in power to Chromium ready to go.

Really close to my targets!

loboris

Re: Re:Ubuntu Mate arm64 RaspberryPi 4 (20.10) server image not working on ArgonOne M.2

Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:33 pm

pidgeonPI wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:39 am
RPI4-8G (18-03-21 Bootloader)
Firedup the 20.10 server arm64 image and it is not booting on argonone m.2, guessing m.2 addon board hardware is not supported in the image?
but, the standard ubuntu 20.10 server image from ubuntu boots fine.
Thanks, amazing image when i had used it in the past.
As it is mentioned in the OP you must usb-storage.quirks=xxxx:yyyy:u to the end of cmdline.txt to prevent using UAS.
Boot from USB supported
:!: If the SATA<->USB controller in your drive enclosure is not UAS compatible (most are not), you have to remember to add usb-storage.quirks=xxxx:yyyy:u to the end of cmdline.txt to prevent using UAS. This must be done before the first boot (on your PC).
(Replace xxxx:yyyy with the USB ID of your controller.)
Please do not quote such a long post, you can edit it leave only what is needed.

Return to “Ubuntu”