mmkw43

Pyarmor -- license?

Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:05 pm

I used pyarmor on a script and very easy to use but having a hard time understanding how the license works. Maybe someone can explain it to me. I've read everything several times but still don't get it. Only 45 bucks so not a problem there...just don't what that gets me and how to use it. ?

-- thanks for any help.

B.Goode

Re: Pyarmor -- license?

Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:19 pm

mmkw43 wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:05 pm
I used pyarmor on a script and very easy to use but having a hard time understanding how the license works. Maybe someone can explain it to me. I've read everything several times but still don't get it. Only 45 bucks so not a problem there...just don't what that gets me and how to use it. ?

-- thanks for any help.

Pardon me for saying that this doesn't seem to be a Raspberry Pi topic.

If the documentation, including a long Q&A, from the developer doesn't answer your queries maybe you should talk to them directly.

https://pyarmor.readthedocs.io/en/latest/license.html

mmkw43

Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:55 pm

Well PY armor relates to python doesn't it?
I thought that was the title of this forum?

I've asked many other questions more "obscure" without mentioning "PI".

But yeah, like every other question I've asked, it relates to the PI and Raspian and python.

As the question shows, I'm simply seeing if anyone has experience with Pyarmor and explain to me WHAT I DIDN'T GRASP from their info. (to repeat myself).
-- jeeeeze

scruss

Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:59 pm

The licence isn't very clear.

It looks like the home licence encrypts the software with a single key. You can distribute the encrypted scripts, but everyone's copy has the same key. One person publishes a crack, everyone will use it to get a free copy of your program. You can release as many different apps/versions as you want, but they'll all have the same key.

The enterprise licence looks like it will create serialized (different) licence keys, but they must be for the same app. If you want to have two application lines, you need (I think) two enterprise licences.

What you're not allowed to do, though, is encrypt any third-party libraries. Anything you import that you didn't write can't/shouldn't be encrypted.

Pyarmor encrypts based on an exact version of the Python interpreter you used to encrypt the package. There's a chance that a system upgrade could render your encrypted code useless. As ever, make sure you're not using any GPL libraries in your code (since you can't encrypt 'em, they're easy to find using ldd or strace) because then you must provide all source on request. There are people who will make your life somewhat miserable if they find a GPL component in your code.

But really, ask the developer. It's their code, you're paying them to use it. As with any other legal transaction, consult your lawyer (= the one you pay) for advice/clarity.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.
Pronouns: he/him

mmkw43

Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:18 pm

Thanks Scruss. That makes it much more clear. The product will be to a very limited audience so perhaps the single key will suffice assuming it's allowed for commercial use -- maybe not. After all, it say "home" license. Honestly, for what it is, no one will go through much trouble to reverse engineer the thing. I did use the pyarmor for a simple script and it works like a charm, although I realize it's not foolproof. The obfuscated script I think is 2 - 3 times larger in file size so I checked to see if execution speed was altered (for the fun of it) but it didn't slow anything down at all.

It certainly makes a script gibberish. Pretty cool.

Return to “Python”