crundy

Re: Starting a trend

Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:29 pm

After the R-Pi launches, what do you think the chances are of another company producing more powerful small boards as desktop machines for under $100? It would be interesting to know what kind of spec you could get for that price.

obarthelemy

Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:44 pm

Chris

Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:59 pm

Very little, remember this is a non profit project and gets parts at discount prices as its a charity. I bet the lowest a company could make and sell the R-Pi for and make any profit would be over $100, maybe around $110.

crundy

Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:47 pm

Quote from Chris on September 21, 2011, 14:59
Very little, remember this is a non profit project and gets parts at discount prices as its a charity. I bet the lowest a company could make and sell the R-Pi for and make any profit would be over $100, maybe around $110.

That's true. Plus aren't R-Pi getting an extra discount on the broadcom chips?

Jesse B

Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:13 pm

Quote from crundy on September 21, 2011, 15:47
That's true. Plus aren't R-Pi getting an extra discount on the broadcom chips?

Eben works for Broadcom, so I'd assume they're getting quite a deal between that and being a charitable foundation.

ErvKosch

Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:27 pm

Eben actually wants just that. I think it was in the SlashDot.org article he had hoped that a Chinese company would take his design and run with it.

Lob0426

Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:38 pm

Quote from Chris on September 21, 2011, 14:59

Not necessarily true. The RasPi has some leeway built into it too. The licensing can be cheaper when you produce more units, not all of them are a percentage of value. And there is always more discount for large volumes. Do not forget that most of the components are built in places like china and that equates to cheaper if any shipping for them. Price is going to be determined in part by market value. There is no profit if you can not sell it. I will only pay more for a RasPi clone if it has an advantage over the real RasPi, more memory, faster processor, mass storage connector etc.. I will not pay more for an exact clone.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:54 pm

Actually, we're not getting any special treatment from Broadcom beyond their usual bulk discounting (which they're giving us even though we're not buying in bulk). I'd like to see clones out there too - we're not doing this to make a fast buck, but because we want to be disruptive and see the cost of computing come down for everyone. If clones appear, it means we've succeeded.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Lob0426

Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:22 pm

Computing has a bad habit of following trends so you will hopefully be succesfull.

Any idea as to what your development cost would have been if you were a company paying salaries?
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

Chris

Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:37 pm

I hope you are right in it starting a trend, if it does maybe it will impact on other items, such as PC Games. The cheaper PC's get the cheaper the games need to get. Maybe the average game price could bve pushed down to £15 baring in mind you can get a computer, be it very basic, for £15.

obarthelemy

Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:00 pm

People (non-gamers) kinda argue with me when I tell them that a nice upgrade to their 4-6 yr old mid-to-full-tower$1200 PC is a $300 nettop. Not expensive enough to be credible.
I'll have fun about that when the Raspi comes along ! My guess is it's powerful enough for about 50% of the users I know, software issues aside.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:55 am

I know what you mean. I replaced my fathers desktop with an Acer Revo running Ubuntu - does everything he needs (and more), cost about $300 with extra RAM and a USB DVD drive.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Tide

Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:25 pm

Jason Kridner, one of the TI developers behind the BeagleBoard Project told journalists that he sees "the BeagleBoard getting smaller and cheaper in the future, trending towards other projects like Raspberry Pi."

podcast here as mp3

abishur

Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:56 pm

Quote from jamesh on September 22, 2011, 07:55
I know what you mean. I replaced my fathers desktop with an Acer Revo running Ubuntu - does everything he needs (and more), cost about $300 with extra RAM and a USB DVD drive.

Probably uses less power while it's at it too
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

emercer

Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:56 pm

I believe the RasPi will have the same kind of impact the OLPC project had. The OLPC missed it's launch date, missed it's price point and still it bootstrapped the netbook revolution.

People on 1000-dollar-machines might not get what I mean by revolution, but I had a eee 701 (still have), a 7", 900MHz Celeron proto-netbook with 512MB of RAM and 4GB of SSD and 3 years later I bought, for the same price, a eee N1201 with 12" of screen, a dual-core Atom with NVidia acceleration and 250GB of hard disk. Same friggin' price.

Michael

Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:37 pm

Quote from Tide on September 22, 2011, 13:25
Jason Kridner, one of the TI developers behind the BeagleBoard Project told journalists that he sees "the BeagleBoard getting smaller and cheaper in the future, trending towards other projects like Raspberry Pi."

Interesting comment. Would be even more interesting if beagleboard.org was considering going non-profit.

Chris

Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:39 pm

Quote from Michael on September 22, 2011, 18:37
Quote from Tide on September 22, 2011, 13:25

Interesting comment. Would be even more interesting if beagleboard.org was considering going non-profit.

We can dream

obarthelemy

Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:30 pm

Actually, it may not be a bad thing for people to make money off their jobs ^^

Michael

Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:18 pm

Quote from obarthelemy on September 22, 2011, 21:30
Actually, it may not be a bad thing for people to make money off their jobs ^^

Absolutely it is not a bad thing! However beagleboard.org is interesting as (I believe - it certainly used to be true, but may have changed) all the Texas Instruments (TI) guys that work on beagleboard.org also have day jobs.

beagleboard.org started off as a TI skunkworks project by one of the lead Engineers to try and increase the popularity of their OMAP processor line by reducing the barrier to entry, in the hope that this would lead to more, successful, high volume products using the technology.

The team behind beagleboard.org understood that a small number of projects that start off as hobbyist or skunkworks R&D projects end up becoming successful high volume products. It may only be a small number that succeed, but when it comes to SoC-based projects, the volumes (and associated SoC manufacturer profits) for those that do succeed can potentially greatly outweigh the cost of supporting the skunkworks and hobbyist projects (it is also worth considering that the beagleboard design uses a number of TI-supplied parts, not just the SoC).

There are also some less tangible ecosystem benefits, such as availability of a wide number of software distributions for the OMAP and DaVinci product lines; ease of locating skilled contractors; robustness of hardware reference designs and software; and wide driver and peripheral support.

In the podcast, Jason hints at the visibility of beagleboard.org within TI now, and how it influences corporate strategic direction.

It would be interesting to know what kind of difference beagleboard.org makes to the bottom line for the the OMAP project - is it still a loss leader, or is it now a cash cow, or somewhere in between? Perhaps even TI doesn't know for certain. So its hard for me to call whether beagleboard.org pays the mortgage for those TI staff involved in the project.

Return to “General discussion”