KwaXi

Re: Latest Order and Shipping update from RS & Allied

Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:28 am

My order reference number has four digits more than the order numbers in the intial post of this thread (101017xxxx).

Are the order numbers in the table truncated somehow or does this mean I've to wait till the end of the century ;)

Hakase

Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:54 pm

I think that your order reference number is 17xxxx =)

Cotard

Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:02 pm

your number order are 17xxxx, but "does this mean I've to wait till the end of the century" -> maybe :?

Forgive my terrible English

summers

Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:23 pm

Sigh, well I've had enough of RS. Preregistered - and that went missing. Registered again, and that had months waiting list. Order gets delayed, rev 2 comes out - I ask if delayed order will be a rev 2, and you can't reply. Hence cancelled order.

Issue is that RS response to RasPi orders is terrible, its doing the company great harm, when your major competitor is doing so well. RS as a company needs to decide if it wants to stay in the RasPi market - cos at the moment it is doing itself no favours.

kspn

Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:10 pm

My personal issue is more the lack of response from RS, I understand that they seem to have been caught flat-footed by the level of interest. However losing a bunch of orders (mine is in the 83xxx range), not responding to emails (even to say our supplier of CPU's is out of stock, 10 days, still waiting), emails containing flatly wrong information (value of order being twice the actual order value), emails saying 'your order is on its way' then not delivering the order as promised, all seem to indicate either a totally separate RasPi team who are all hiding under their desks or I am not sure what.

I am keeping my RS RasPi order simply because at some point (hopefully in the not too distant future) it will actually arrive, but it is very frustrating.
No Coffee, No Workee

danielverza

Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:43 am

Sorry RS but enough is enough !

Just canceled my order.

I ordered on June 22 and the reference number was 100414. Lead time was estimeted to 10 weeks. Since I chose to use PayPal the total amount (USD 43.02) was deducted from my account immediately.

After that.... nothing! No contact, no e-mails, no Pi!

I'm not trying to be offensive here, but this lack of transparency is just not what I call "good business practice". Was there a supply problem ? OK. Sh*t happens. But at least have the consideration to let me know ! Remember: you already got my money !!

And as much as everyone says this is not the Foundation's fault, in reality it *is* hurting the Raspberry Pi's image. It's becoming that amazing, full of potential, ultra-cool device that YOU CAN'T HAVE !!

Sad. Just sad....

Now let's see how the refund process go. They asked for 14 working days.

BTW: Sorry for the rant. It's just that this is *very* frustrating....

Best of luck to all

Daniel

danielverza

Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:49 pm

New development...

This is what I got from RS today:
Good Morning Daniel,

Apologies for the delayed response to your query, but as your order has been taken for dispatch I’m afraid we cannot cancel your order. With regards to your Raspberry Pi order, we send a dispatch notice to the email account registered with your order, so apologies if you didn't receive this communication from us.

Due to the shipping method we are using for Brazil, in order to minimise importation/handling duty payable on the Pi, our delivery time takes up to 20 days from which was the 31/8/12. In addition, the shipping method (DHL Mail) does not provide tracking information until it is delivered to yourself.

What we can ask is that you either refuse delivery when your order reaches you or fill out our returns form from link below and return your order to us.

http://authenticate.rsdelivers.com/stat ... turns.aspx

Kind Regards
Raspberry Pi Team
The curious thing is that the "Raspberry Pi - Time to order" and the "Order Confirmation" messages came through just fine...

Well then.... It seems I'll end up getting a piece of Pi after all....

sinapsi

Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:03 pm

danielverza wrote:Sorry RS but enough is enough !

Just canceled my order.

I ordered on June 22 and the reference number was 100414. Lead time was estimeted to 10 weeks. Since I chose to use PayPal the total amount (USD 43.02) was deducted from my account immediately.

After that.... nothing! No contact, no e-mails, no Pi!

I'm not trying to be offensive here, but this lack of transparency is just not what I call "good business practice". Was there a supply problem ? OK. Sh*t happens. But at least have the consideration to let me know ! Remember: you already got my money !!

And as much as everyone says this is not the Foundation's fault, in reality it *is* hurting the Raspberry Pi's image. It's becoming that amazing, full of potential, ultra-cool device that YOU CAN'T HAVE !!

Sad. Just sad....

Now let's see how the refund process go. They asked for 14 working days.

BTW: Sorry for the rant. It's just that this is *very* frustrating....

Best of luck to all

Daniel
I ordered my raspberry pi on 22 june too, my ref number is 98***
I haven't got any notice from RS since that day, I don't know where is my pi, 10 weeks passed

microbe

Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:43 am

Hi all.
I ordered a Pi on RS website ( last month ), and my order ref. number is something like 101017XXXX :shock:

I see the guy above that have ordered in June, has the ref. numbre 98XXX !
More than 4 months to have my parcel is unacceptable :|
I ask for your opinion, should I cancel my order and recommend on Farnell website ?

Thanks for replies !

danielverza

Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:40 pm

microbe wrote:Hi all.
I ordered a Pi on RS website ( last month ), and my order ref. number is something like 101017XXXX :shock:

I see the guy above that have ordered in June, has the ref. numbre 98XXX !
More than 4 months to have my parcel is unacceptable :|
I ask for your opinion, should I cancel my order and recommend on Farnell website ?

Thanks for replies !
My opinion:

If you can still cancel your order then you should do it. It will save you a lot of stress....

However, if they already got your money you could have some trouble getting a refund.

In the end it's your choice and I can't tell you what to do, but according to what we've seen so far it seems Farnell is the better choice right now.

microbe

Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:56 pm

Thanks for your advices.
I paid with paypal, and my card was debited directly.
...I am not sure what I'll do, that bothers me.

i will never order any component on RS again.

Sorry for my english ;)

exartemarte

Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:56 pm

microbe wrote:Thanks for your advices.
I paid with paypal, and my card was debited directly.
...I am not sure what I'll do, that bothers me.
I cancelled my RS order and re-ordered from Farnell, who supplied a PI (Rev2) in a matter of days. RS refunded my money, bang on their fourteen-working-day limit.

I guess your best course of action will depend on what the local conditions are wherever it is that you live (I am in the UK). I did notice that when I placed my Farnell order I was directed to their export website, so you will probably get the same service from Farnell as we do here. If you're in the EU there shouldn't be any problem with customs duties. Note that, while mine arrived in days, Farnell say you expect "delivery within three weeks".
microbe wrote:i will never order any component on RS again.
Me neither. They have really messed this up, mostly by not keeping people informed and by taking advance payment for goods they haven't got. Once they have got your money they don't need to put themselves out, do they? I just don't trust them.

barrybarryk

Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:18 pm

I pretty much had to order from RS yesterday. I only have a Maestro card (& PayPal) and farnell wouldn't take it on the site. I couldn't find any other way of ordering through Farnell / element 14 for UK that would accept a maestro card :(

Not looking forward to waiting "10 Weeks" for dispatch, if that even happens.

CPC.co.uk

Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:37 pm

barrybarryk wrote:I only have a Maestro card
[cough]

:)
http://www.cpc.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/cpc.co.uk
https://twitter.com/cpc_tweet

exartemarte

Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:41 pm

barrybarryk wrote:I pretty much had to order from RS yesterday. I only have a Maestro card (& PayPal) and farnell wouldn't take it on the site. I couldn't find any other way of ordering through Farnell / element 14 for UK that would accept a maestro card :(

Not looking forward to waiting "10 Weeks" for dispatch, if that even happens.
Where do you live? If you order from CPC, which seems to be some sort of subsidiary of Farnell, the website says thay have stock. This is what it says in the FAQs about credit cards:

Which credit cards do you accept?
We accept payment by BACS, cheque or debit/credit card: Visa, Mastercard Solo or Maestro. There is no minimum order value.

On the Pi page it says Please note that for UK orders the handling charge on this product will be removed prior to dispatch, which is a bit of a bummer as far as the handling charge is concerned, but at least it implies that they will ship outside the UK.

Might be worth a look.
Last edited by exartemarte on Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

exartemarte

Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:43 pm

CPC.co.uk wrote: [cough]

:)
Obviously CPC read your post even while I was typing my reply! Looks as though you're in luck.
Last edited by exartemarte on Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CPC.co.uk

Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:44 pm

exartemarte wrote:but at least it implies that will ship outside the UK.
Yes, we do :)
http://www.cpc.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/cpc.co.uk
https://twitter.com/cpc_tweet

barrybarryk

Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:52 pm

Thanks guys, already in the process of cancelling my order with RS. I'm in the UK (Belfast) so hopefully I'll see that handling charge disappear. Looks like CPC for me :D

W. H. Heydt

Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:32 pm

exartemarte wrote: On the Pi page it says Please note that for UK orders the handling charge on this product will be removed prior to dispatch, which is a bit of a bummer as far as the handling charge is concerned, but at least it implies that they will ship outside the UK.

Might be worth a look.
Depending on just *where* outside the UK you are, you could consider the corresponding US affiliate, MCM Electronics in the US.

Wheel_nut

Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:12 pm

Being a long-time customer of RS Components, I automatically went to them for my new toy. I was aware of the 10 week leadtime that they quoted but wasn't aware that CPC Farnell had these in stock and were offering Next-day delivery FREE for orders over £45 ex-VAT.

I have therefore cancelled my RS order using their on-line cancellation page and ordered TWO units from CPC Farnell. Now, I bead somewhere that Farnell would waive the Handling charge for UK orders but couldn't get this confirmed before I placed my order.

The great news is that the CPC site says that my order is "completed" so I expect a man with a Van to deliver the two Raspberry Pi units tomorrow.

I couldn't find the Clear Case on the CPC site so I have bought two Adafruit cases for £8-26 in total. These are cut from clear Acrylic and fit together like a jigsaw puzzle with no screws. There are cut-outs for all connectors including the GPIO cable and additionally, can be used with the top plate off for access to test points and internal connectors. I will post a review here when I get and use them.

.... can't wait until Santa comes tomorrow! :D :geek: :ugeek:

W. H. Heydt

Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:35 pm

Wheel_nut wrote: I couldn't find the Clear Case on the CPC site so I have bought two Adafruit cases for £8-26 in total. These are cut from clear Acrylic and fit together like a jigsaw puzzle with no screws. There are cut-outs for all connectors including the GPIO cable and additionally, can be used with the top plate off for access to test points and internal connectors. I will post a review here when I get and use them.
Clear case on CPC site:
http://cpc.farnell.com/hammond/mc-rp001 ... tt=2113799

donflow

Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:04 pm

I canceled my order too.
Refund over paypal takes 8 days.

Order taken on 18. Jul
Order canceled on 11. Sep
Refund on 18. Sep

At least I got my money back.
I do not want wait until November for my Order.

Let's see where I order now :) Suggestions?

exartemarte

Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:04 pm

I'm rather taken with the SBC case - I have two of them as well as a ModMyPi case. They're compact and very precisely made - the Pi clicks into the bottom half and is held firmly; the on-board connectors are a close fit and nothing moves. There are apertures in the top for all of the expansion connectors.

Perversely the SBC case has light pipes for the LEDs, although it doesn't need them since the case is translucent and you can see the LEDs quite clearly, while the ModMyPi case, which is opaque and would benefit from light pipes, doesn't have them.

mmeert

Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:31 am

Cancelled my order @ RS (ordered on July 16, shipping expected end of November) and ordered 2 pi's + clear cases @ element 14 Belgium yesterday. Arrived 20 min ago! Couldn't believe it... Big thanks to element 14 ;)

sgegreen

Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:34 am

I also bought the SB Components case via eBay, I actually got two since I intend to get another RPi when I can be sure it will a Rev.2 UK board like the first.

I can confirm that it's well made, I got the 'blue' transparent version (more grey than blue) which was cheaper than the clear one. The previous post shows the 'red' version.

As exartemarte says, the light pipes are not particularly useful, in my cases they don't quite line up with the LEDs of the Rev.2 board.

Another point, all the sockets are labelled and the light pipes are also labelled with the Rev.1 (incorrect) markings...

Return to “General discussion”