clicky

Eclipse might be back on Raspberry Pi

Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:04 pm

It is on beta 64bit Raspberry Pi OS and quite a handcrafted version (from the latest available to download for x86_64 + top of the repo builds for aarch substitutes).

Let me know if someone else would like to have it - I can zip up what I've done so far and upload it somewhere.

neilgl

Re: Eclipse might be back on Raspberry Pi

Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:28 pm

Good job.

clicky

Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:50 am

I've made a short write up what (and how?) I've done here: https://blog.abstracthorizon.org/posts/ ... -64bit-os/

Also, there's (not to be treated as so permanent) link to 64bit eclipse - eclipse-java-2020-03-v1-R-linux-gtk-aarch64.tar.gz

loboris

Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:36 am

This is really a great work, thanks.
I've tested it on my own Ubuntu Mate arm64 image on RPi4 with 4GB and it works perfectly. I've imported couple of my (quite large) C/C++ projects, and all was working without any issue.

I've tested it also on Odroid C2 (Armbian Ubuntu 20.04), which only has 2GB of RAM, and it is quite usable. 1.6GB was used during indexing of the large project, but it finished successfully as well as the project build (with some swapping, so the speed was not great).

I hope you will continue to work on this project and I fully agree with your statement
And ultimate goal would be to get Eclipse Foundation to once again adopt aarch64 for good and have those builds done along with other builds

clicky

Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:50 am

loboris wrote: This is really a great work, thanks.
I've tested it on my own Ubuntu Mate arm64 image on RPi4 with 4GB and it works perfectly. I've imported couple of my (quite large) C/C++ projects, and all was working without any issue.

I've tested it also on Odroid C2 (Armbian Ubuntu 20.04), which only has 2GB of RAM, and it is quite usable. 1.6GB was used during indexing of the large project, but it finished successfully as well as the project build (with some swapping, so the speed was not great).

I hope you will continue to work on this project and I fully agree with your statement
And ultimate goal would be to get Eclipse Foundation to once again adopt aarch64 for good and have those builds done along with other builds
Thank you for the kind words. Yes, I should - I should try to push it through with Eclipse foundation - but I got sidetracked (as always) and never got around to do so...

Anyway, word of warning - I've realised (hard way) that I didn't update p2 (or whatever is that part of Eclipse called) so it still pulls new code packages as a part of update for x86 and that would completely break it (after update). So, although some updates are working fine - core ide updates are going to fail :( But, again, as they are never built for aarch64 (arm64) in the first place they'll never have right so libraries anyway.

loboris

Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:15 pm

clicky wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:50 am
Anyway, word of warning - I've realised (hard way) that I didn't update p2 (or whatever is that part of Eclipse called) so it still pulls new code packages as a part of update for x86 and that would completely break it (after update). So, although some updates are working fine - core ide updates are going to fail :( But, again, as they are never built for aarch64 (arm64) in the first place they'll never have right so libraries anyway.
I'm aware of that (unfortunate) fact. I've tried to update and ended up with unusable instalation.
I think it is enough to disable "Latest Eclipse Release" (or maybe all software sites?) not to receive updates.
Could the updates be disabled by default? I couldn't find the place where to do that.
Screenshot at 2020-08-10 12-52-06.png
Screenshot at 2020-08-10 12-52-06.png (110.9 KiB) Viewed 970 times

I have added your eclipse build to my repository as debian package.

clicky

Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:38 pm

loboris wrote: I'm aware of that (unfortunate) fact. I've tried to update and ended up with unusable instalation.
I think it is enough to disable "Latest Eclipse Release" (or maybe all software sites?) not to receive updates.
Could the updates be disabled by default? I couldn't find the place where to do that.
I'm certain it can be done - but the question is should it be? Maybe pushing towards proper installation distributed by Eclipse foundation would be far better :)
loboris wrote: I have added your eclipse build to my repository as debian package.
Thanks! That's good to know!

loboris

Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:50 pm

clicky wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:38 pm
I'm certain it can be done - but the question is should it be? Maybe pushing towards proper installation distributed by Eclipse foundation would be far better :)
Maybe you could organize some kind of petition/voting to push the Eclipse foundation?

clicky

Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:57 pm

Need to make myself for just forum/mail list post with what I've done and ask for help/offer help to make proper version of Eclipse for arm64... I'll move it up on my todo list :)
... especially now I am using Eclipse or RPi every second day - with such a good weather and other circumstances I've returned to my MBP as it is portable - but otherwise I'm using it on RPi exclusively and not for only Java! (I've used Corrosion on Eclipse on RPi for Rust :) )

ilg

Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:17 pm

clicky

Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:23 pm

:D Good news!

Return to “Java”