W. H. Heydt

Adventures in Educational Software

Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:38 pm

After pounding on the local school district for a couple of months, I'm finally managing to extract some data about their 7th grade Robotics class.

the following issues are not something the RPF can solve, although someone there might have a suitable contact to apply a well aimed boot at an appropriate fundament to get results. I sure don't.

The local school is using the UC Davis "C-STEM" software plus RoboBlocky programming (which I am given to understand is a derivative of Scratch...and looks it) and Linkbot hardware for the physical side, through Barobo kits. (That answered a question I'd been trying to deal with...what *kind* of Arduino are they using? Turns out, the Barobo kits use a knock-off Uno.)

Some of the bad news: The main choice of programming language in C-STEM is something called "Ch", which appears to be a C/C++ variant with a lot of hand holding, not a bad thing in itself. The main bad news is that it is proprietary and takes a $60 per year, or $150 lifetime license...per system installed on.

Good news: There is a free version for running on Pis. The UC Davis site has both a downloadable system image and a way to install everything on an existing "Raspbian" (there's a reason for the quotes) system.

More bad news: The instructions for installing C-STEM on an existing system reference Jessie (that's a "red flag"). Obviously, one would replace Jessie with Buster on a current system. However, the additional repositories use HTTP (note the missing 'S')...and when running from Buster fail security checks.

Conclusion: The software is at least three years out of date. It makes one suspect that the pre-built system image is likely Jessie and will--therefore--not run on a Pi4B.

Edit to add: I have verified that their pre-built OS image will not boot on a Pi4B, this in spite of a file name indicating a creation date of 2020-01-28, so you'd *think* it was built on Buster. But apparently not.

ejolson

Re: Adventures in Educational Software

Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:20 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
After pounding on the local school district for a couple of months, I'm finally managing to extract some data about their 7th grade Robotics class.
As with many outreach activities, the young university faculty behind them are told after a few years that their promotion is at risk unless their research publication rate increases. Either enthusiasm for the project vanishes or the enthusiasm persists and instead the faculty member vanishes by not making tenure.

I've heard good things about Ch, but was never convinced it was a good idea to combine the complex syntax of C with the speed of interpreted Basic. In my opinion it makes more sense to retain the speed of C and combine that with the simplicity of Basic. A increasingly popular language which attempts this is Julia.

https://julialang.org/

Julia employs a syntax similar to Matlab along with an LLVM just-in-time compiler that was patched earlier this week so it again builds on the Raspberry Pi. It would be fantastic, in my opinion for someone who has the time, to create a Lego library for Julia or at least an easy way to toggle the GPIO on and off.

hippy

Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:16 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
the following issues are not something the RPF can solve, although someone there might have a suitable contact to apply a well aimed boot at an appropriate fundament to get results. I sure don't.
Maybe I'm missing some background here; but it's not clear what results you want to get, what well aimed boot you believe is required ?

I am not familiar with C-STEM nor the rest but it appears to me it's 'a solution' built to teach robotics, provided as a curriculum, a bundle of tools and teaching support which seems fine by me in principle.

I can't comment on Ch / ChIDE licensing. I thought it was free for personal and non-commercial use. I haven't used it in anger but it seemed pretty impressive to me with single-stepping and interactive debugging. Seems to me to be debugging with VB6 re-invented. It runs on my Pi 4B 1GB, Raspberry Pi OS Buster.

I'm not familiar with RoboBlockly but it seems to be a typical Blockly-based drag-and-drop visual programming language. I believe that can produce code for Ch / ChIDE, and there are probably other 'bridging tools' as well to control actual bots. That's web-based and runs in Chromium. Not sure if there's a native Pi RoboBlockly server.

But beyond that "I wouldn't know". It's not clear to me what the perceived problem is.

ejolson

Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:02 pm

hippy wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:16 pm
But beyond that "I wouldn't know". It's not clear to me what the perceived problem is.
I think the perceived problem was that the image didn't work on the Pi 4B.

My guess is that it would be pretty easy to create a version that boots on the 4B but the people who built the first image are doing something else. As an aside, I just talked with a professor using the Pi to teach second-year computer architecture here and the syllabus explicitly mentions the 3B+ is preferred as not all software runs on the 4B.

The longevity of the hardware and the stability of the software required to develop and deploy materials for use in education is about 10-years, not the one to two year update cadence we've been enjoying both in Pi models and the Debian software base. The solution appears to be recommending students buy the older model and hoping they are still available at reasonable cost.

W. H. Heydt

Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:26 pm

As people have noted, the problem is that neither the pre-built OS image, nor the procedure to install C-STEM on a running RPiOS system, will work on a Pi4B. Assuming I have time, this afternoon I'm going to try the pre-built image on a Pi3B+ and my grandson will be able to bring up the C-STEM materials using VNC from his Pi4B.

The choice of languages is not mine. That's being driven by the school. As I have it from a friend of mine in the ed business, C-STEM ticks all the boxes to meet Common Core cirriculum standards in the US, so schools like it. Likewise, Barobo sells Linkbot kits in both individual and class sizes.

My goal is to have a running Pi/C-STEM system before Monday, when the local school year starts. (Not, one understands, that *if* my grandson gets into the Robotics elective...we don't have his schedule yet, the class would leap into programming on the first day. I just want to have "all my ducks in a row".)

hippy

Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:42 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
As people have noted, the problem is that neither the pre-built OS image, nor the procedure to install C-STEM on a running RPiOS system, will work on a Pi4B.
Right; I can appreciate that is a problem. My only experience of C-STEM is that it was the easiest way to get Ch / ChIDE without registering when my attention was drawn in that direction. This is what I used to get it installed on my 4B ...

Code: Select all

wget http://www.c-stembian.org/rpi/public.key -O - | sudo apt-key add -
echo 'deb http://www.c-stembian.org/rpi jessie main' | sudo tee --append /etc/apt/sources.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cstemstudio
That ended with a "Timeout error" but 'chide' and 'cstemstudio' both run.

That's also possibly incomplete for what you want. My notes point to - https://c-stem.ucdavis.edu/c-stembian/download-2 - which might help

W. H. Heydt

Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:12 pm

hippy wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:42 pm
W. H. Heydt wrote:
As people have noted, the problem is that neither the pre-built OS image, nor the procedure to install C-STEM on a running RPiOS system, will work on a Pi4B.
Right; I can appreciate that is a problem. My only experience of C-STEM is that it was the easiest way to get Ch / ChIDE without registering when my attention was drawn in that direction. This is what I used to get it installed on my 4B ...

wget http://www.c-stembian.org/rpi/public.key -O - | sudo apt-key add -
echo 'deb http://www.c-stembian.org/rpi jessie main' | sudo tee --append /etc/apt/sources.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cstemstudio
That ended with a "Timeout error" but 'chide' and 'cstemstudio' both run.

That's also possibly incomplete for what you want. My notes point to - https://c-stem.ucdavis.edu/c-stembian/download-2 - which might help
So you left "jessie" in there. Interesting. I figured that should be changed to match the release I'm running (Buster) and it threw all manner of errors at the apt-get update step. If I get the "Method A" (pre-built image) working on a Pi3B+ I may go back and try "Method B" leaving the commands saying Jessie.

hippy

Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:34 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:12 pm
So you left "jessie" in there.
Yes; that was on the basis of that repository being where their packages are held, which is not necessarily a statement of what it requires or only works with. If the code runs on Jessie there's a good chance it also runs on Stretch, and Buster.

Microsoft's VS Code repository for pulling that in is "amd64" but it's not specifically 'amd64' code.

I guess there would be issues if they are providing base packages, but probably aren't, and one can add a non-Buster repository, install what one wants, and then comment it out of sources.list. Maybe I've been lucky but I've had no major problem doing that.

The only problem is that code written for Jessie, or Stretch, won't have been updated for Buster if that has moved things about, pulled the rug from under its feet.

W. H. Heydt

Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:01 am

It would massively violate the forum rules for me to properly express my opinion of the UC Davis C-STEM site.

Just let suffice to say that...
1. Their pre-built OS image won't unzip (fails CRC check).
2. The package itself fails an md5sum check against the value they claim it has.
3. While it carries a date of 2020-1-28, they state that it is built against Raspbian Stretch (Hello! That was replaced with Buster 7 months before you built the image! And it won't run on hardware available when you built it! Get with the times!)
4. Using the alternate method of installing the software, I could probably spend the next month chasing dependencies, and then most of those chains would be dead ends.

Not sure where I'm going from here, but if asked, this is software that I class as NOT RECOMMENDED.

hippy

Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:33 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Using the alternate method of installing the software, I could probably spend the next month chasing dependencies, and then most of those chains would be dead ends.
I think it's worth giving Method B a try. At least C-STEM Studio, RoboBlokly and ChIDE seem to work on a 4B, though I'm not sure what else you would need.

Getting that far was a 'walk in the park' compared to other circles of hell I've entered in my Pi adventures :P

W. H. Heydt

Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:40 am

hippy wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:33 am
W. H. Heydt wrote:
Using the alternate method of installing the software, I could probably spend the next month chasing dependencies, and then most of those chains would be dead ends.
I think it's worth giving Method B a try. At least C-STEM Studio, RoboBlokly and ChIDE seem to work on a 4B, though I'm not sure what else you would need.

Getting that far was a 'walk in the park' compared to other circles of hell I've entered in my Pi adventures :P
The first one to be loaded is C-STEM Studio. It fails with a bunch of dependencies.

RoboBlockly runs in a browser, so that's no problem.

W. H. Heydt

Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:19 am

So... To recap for those not following the gory details...

The pre-built "stembian" OS image can't be loaded to an SD card because it throws CRC errors, plus the md5sum doesn't match what's shown on the web site. So that's useless.

Trying to add the C-STEM software to a current (Buster) system fails with unmet dependencies and if you follow down the chain, eventually you come to packages that just aren't found at all. So that fails.

Well...it occurs to me that they're using "jessie" repositories so I look through my saved Raspbian images, unzip Jessie from April 2017, and burn it to an SD card. Not being sure exactly which Pis can run it (certainly not a Pi4B), I start with a Pi2Bv1.1. Boot it up, do an update, do a full-upgrade (280+ packages), configure the system--working from own old notes about changes I like to make, and then.... Start in with the C-STEM software. Get to the first "apt-get install" and, Boom!, unmet dependency. Chase down the names given and sure enough, breaks in the same old places. So...no go.

However, since I've now got a nice new running Jessie system as up to date as it's ever going to be, let's see what other Pis it will run on... Pi3B, yes. Pi2Bv1.2, yes. Pi3B+, no.

So IF it has to be Jessie, and IF the dependencies can be resolved (at this point...not at all likely), then I can run the mess on a Pi3B.

ejolson

Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:32 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
So IF it has to be Jessie, and IF the dependencies can be resolved (at this point...not at all likely), then I can run the mess on a Pi3B.
Have you tried sending an email to

info at c-stem.ucdavis.edu

asking whether there is a more up-to-date version of the software available?

W. H. Heydt

Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:36 am

ejolson wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:32 am
W. H. Heydt wrote:
Have you tried sending an email to

info at c-stem.ucdavis.edu

asking whether there is a more up-to-date version of the software available?
I have now.

hippy

Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:36 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Trying to add the C-STEM software to a current (Buster) system fails with unmet dependencies and if you follow down the chain, eventually you come to packages that just aren't found at all.
That is odd because I didn't have a problem at all. While I have installed some things on the 4B, it 's not so much that I would likely have pre-emptively satisfied all dependencies. I had no missing dependencies.

Looking at my sources.list it does seem I had included the Barobo repository, but I'd be surprised if it were needing that, but might be worth a try -

wget http://repo.barobo.com/barobo.public.key -O - | sudo apt-key add -
echo 'deb http://repo.barobo.com jessie main' | sudo tee --append /etc/apt/sources.list
Don't know if it helps but here's my /var/log/apt/term.log entry -

Log started: 2020-08-13  12:41:50
Selecting previously unselected package libapr1:armhf.
(Reading database ... 94892 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../00-libapr1_1.6.5-1_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libapr1:armhf (1.6.5-1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libaprutil1:armhf.
Preparing to unpack .../01-libaprutil1_1.6.1-4_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libaprutil1:armhf (1.6.1-4) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libaprutil1-dbd-sqlite3:armhf.
Preparing to unpack .../02-libaprutil1-dbd-sqlite3_1.6.1-4_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libaprutil1-dbd-sqlite3:armhf (1.6.1-4) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libaprutil1-ldap:armhf.
Preparing to unpack .../03-libaprutil1-ldap_1.6.1-4_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libaprutil1-ldap:armhf (1.6.1-4) ...
Selecting previously unselected package liblua5.2-0:armhf.
Preparing to unpack .../04-liblua5.2-0_5.2.4-1.1+b1_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking liblua5.2-0:armhf (5.2.4-1.1+b1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package apache2-bin.
Preparing to unpack .../05-apache2-bin_2.4.38-3+deb10u3_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking apache2-bin (2.4.38-3+deb10u3) ...
Selecting previously unselected package apache2-data.
Preparing to unpack .../06-apache2-data_2.4.38-3+deb10u3_all.deb ...
Unpacking apache2-data (2.4.38-3+deb10u3) ...
Selecting previously unselected package apache2-utils.
Preparing to unpack .../07-apache2-utils_2.4.38-3+deb10u3_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking apache2-utils (2.4.38-3+deb10u3) ...
Selecting previously unselected package apache2.
Preparing to unpack .../08-apache2_2.4.38-3+deb10u3_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking apache2 (2.4.38-3+deb10u3) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libjasper1:armhf.
Preparing to unpack .../09-libjasper1_1.900.1-debian1-2.4+deb8u1_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libjasper1:armhf (1.900.1-debian1-2.4+deb8u1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libqt5positioning5:armhf.
Preparing to unpack .../10-libqt5positioning5_5.11.3+dfsg-2_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libqt5positioning5:armhf (5.11.3+dfsg-2) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libqt5qml5:armhf.
Preparing to unpack .../11-libqt5qml5_5.11.3-4_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libqt5qml5:armhf (5.11.3-4) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libqt5quick5:armhf.
Preparing to unpack .../12-libqt5quick5_5.11.3-4_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libqt5quick5:armhf (5.11.3-4) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libqt5sensors5:armhf.
Preparing to unpack .../13-libqt5sensors5_5.11.3-2_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libqt5sensors5:armhf (5.11.3-2) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libqt5webchannel5:armhf.
Preparing to unpack .../14-libqt5webchannel5_5.11.3-2_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libqt5webchannel5:armhf (5.11.3-2) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libqt5webkit5:armhf.
Preparing to unpack .../15-libqt5webkit5_5.212.0~alpha2-21+rpi1_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libqt5webkit5:armhf (5.212.0~alpha2-21+rpi1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libftdi1:armhf.
Preparing to unpack .../16-libftdi1_0.20-4_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libftdi1:armhf (0.20-4) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libhidapi-libusb0:armhf.
Preparing to unpack .../17-libhidapi-libusb0_0.8.0~rc1+git20140818.d17db57+dfsg-2_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libhidapi-libusb0:armhf (0.8.0~rc1+git20140818.d17db57+dfsg-2) ...
Selecting previously unselected package avrdude.
Preparing to unpack .../18-avrdude_6.3-20171130+svn1429-2+rpt1_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking avrdude (6.3-20171130+svn1429-2+rpt1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libncurses5:armhf.
Preparing to unpack .../19-libncurses5_6.1+20181013-2+deb10u2_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libncurses5:armhf (6.1+20181013-2+deb10u2) ...
Selecting previously unselected package ch.
Preparing to unpack .../20-ch_8.0.5-0_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking ch (8.0.5-0) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libglx-dev:armhf.
Preparing to unpack .../21-libglx-dev_1.3.0-7~bpo10+1_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libglx-dev:armhf (1.3.0-7~bpo10+1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libgl-dev:armhf.
Preparing to unpack .../22-libgl-dev_1.3.0-7~bpo10+1_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libgl-dev:armhf (1.3.0-7~bpo10+1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libegl-dev:armhf.
Preparing to unpack .../23-libegl-dev_1.3.0-7~bpo10+1_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libegl-dev:armhf (1.3.0-7~bpo10+1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libgles-dev:armhf.
Preparing to unpack .../24-libgles-dev_1.3.0-7~bpo10+1_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libgles-dev:armhf (1.3.0-7~bpo10+1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libgles2-mesa-dev:armhf.
Preparing to unpack .../25-libgles2-mesa-dev_19.3.2-1~bpo10+1~rpt1_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libgles2-mesa-dev:armhf (19.3.2-1~bpo10+1~rpt1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libqt5test5:armhf.
Preparing to unpack .../26-libqt5test5_5.11.3+dfsg1-1+rpi1+deb10u3_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libqt5test5:armhf (5.11.3+dfsg1-1+rpi1+deb10u3) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libvulkan-dev:armhf.
Preparing to unpack .../27-libvulkan-dev_1.1.97-2_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libvulkan-dev:armhf (1.1.97-2) ...
Selecting previously unselected package qt5-qmake-bin.
Preparing to unpack .../28-qt5-qmake-bin_5.11.3+dfsg1-1+rpi1+deb10u3_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking qt5-qmake-bin (5.11.3+dfsg1-1+rpi1+deb10u3) ...
Selecting previously unselected package qtchooser.
Preparing to unpack .../29-qtchooser_66-2_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking qtchooser (66-2) ...
Selecting previously unselected package qt5-qmake:armhf.
Preparing to unpack .../30-qt5-qmake_5.11.3+dfsg1-1+rpi1+deb10u3_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking qt5-qmake:armhf (5.11.3+dfsg1-1+rpi1+deb10u3) ...
Selecting previously unselected package qtbase5-dev-tools.
Preparing to unpack .../31-qtbase5-dev-tools_5.11.3+dfsg1-1+rpi1+deb10u3_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking qtbase5-dev-tools (5.11.3+dfsg1-1+rpi1+deb10u3) ...
Selecting previously unselected package qtbase5-dev:armhf.
Preparing to unpack .../32-qtbase5-dev_5.11.3+dfsg1-1+rpi1+deb10u3_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking qtbase5-dev:armhf (5.11.3+dfsg1-1+rpi1+deb10u3) ...
Selecting previously unselected package qt5-default:armhf.
Preparing to unpack .../33-qt5-default_5.11.3+dfsg1-1+rpi1+deb10u3_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking qt5-default:armhf (5.11.3+dfsg1-1+rpi1+deb10u3) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libqt5serialport5:armhf.
Preparing to unpack .../34-libqt5serialport5_5.11.3-2_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libqt5serialport5:armhf (5.11.3-2) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libqt5bluetooth5-bin.
Preparing to unpack .../35-libqt5bluetooth5-bin_5.11.3-2_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libqt5bluetooth5-bin (5.11.3-2) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libqt5bluetooth5:armhf.
Preparing to unpack .../36-libqt5bluetooth5_5.11.3-2_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libqt5bluetooth5:armhf (5.11.3-2) ...
Selecting previously unselected package charduino.
Preparing to unpack .../37-charduino_0.8.0_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking charduino (0.8.0) ...
Selecting previously unselected package chsong.
Preparing to unpack .../38-chsong_0.3.0_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking chsong (0.3.0) ...
Selecting previously unselected package chlinkbot.
Preparing to unpack .../39-chlinkbot_0.3.0_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking chlinkbot (0.3.0) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libtinyxml2.6.2v5:armhf.
Preparing to unpack .../40-libtinyxml2.6.2v5_2.6.2-4_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libtinyxml2.6.2v5:armhf (2.6.2-4) ...
Selecting previously unselected package chmindstorms.
Preparing to unpack .../41-chmindstorms_1.1.2-0_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking chmindstorms (1.1.2-0) ...
Selecting previously unselected package freeglut3:armhf.
Preparing to unpack .../42-freeglut3_2.8.1-3_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking freeglut3:armhf (2.8.1-3) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libglu1-mesa:armhf.
Preparing to unpack .../43-libglu1-mesa_9.0.0-2.1_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libglu1-mesa:armhf (9.0.0-2.1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libjasper-runtime.
Preparing to unpack .../44-libjasper-runtime_1.900.1-debian1-2.4+deb8u1_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libjasper-runtime (1.900.1-debian1-2.4+deb8u1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package chopencv.
Preparing to unpack .../45-chopencv_0.0.2-0_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking chopencv (0.0.2-0) ...
Selecting previously unselected package chrobot.
Preparing to unpack .../46-chrobot_0.3.0_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking chrobot (0.3.0) ...
Selecting previously unselected package chwiringpi.
Preparing to unpack .../47-chwiringpi_1.3.2-3_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking chwiringpi (1.3.2-3) ...
Selecting previously unselected package cstemfolder.
Preparing to unpack .../48-cstemfolder_6.3.2_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking cstemfolder (6.3.2) ...
Selecting previously unselected package cstemstudio.
Preparing to unpack .../49-cstemstudio_6.5.0-0_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking cstemstudio (6.5.0-0) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libmm-glib0:armhf.
Preparing to unpack .../50-libmm-glib0_1.10.0-1_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libmm-glib0:armhf (1.10.0-1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package geoclue-2.0.
Preparing to unpack .../51-geoclue-2.0_2.5.2-1_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking geoclue-2.0 (2.5.2-1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package iio-sensor-proxy.
Preparing to unpack .../52-iio-sensor-proxy_2.4-2_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking iio-sensor-proxy (2.4-2) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libmbim-glib4:armhf.
Preparing to unpack .../53-libmbim-glib4_1.18.0-1_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libmbim-glib4:armhf (1.18.0-1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libmbim-proxy.
Preparing to unpack .../54-libmbim-proxy_1.18.0-1_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libmbim-proxy (1.18.0-1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libqmi-glib5:armhf.
Preparing to unpack .../55-libqmi-glib5_1.22.0-1.2_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libqmi-glib5:armhf (1.22.0-1.2) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libqmi-proxy.
Preparing to unpack .../56-libqmi-proxy_1.22.0-1.2_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libqmi-proxy (1.22.0-1.2) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libqt5opengl5:armhf.
Preparing to unpack .../57-libqt5opengl5_5.11.3+dfsg1-1+rpi1+deb10u3_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libqt5opengl5:armhf (5.11.3+dfsg1-1+rpi1+deb10u3) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libqt5opengl5-dev:armhf.
Preparing to unpack .../58-libqt5opengl5-dev_5.11.3+dfsg1-1+rpi1+deb10u3_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libqt5opengl5-dev:armhf (5.11.3+dfsg1-1+rpi1+deb10u3) ...
Selecting previously unselected package modemmanager.
Preparing to unpack .../59-modemmanager_1.10.0-1_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking modemmanager (1.10.0-1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package ssl-cert.
Preparing to unpack .../60-ssl-cert_1.0.39_all.deb ...
Unpacking ssl-cert (1.0.39) ...
Setting up iio-sensor-proxy (2.4-2) ...
iio-sensor-proxy.service is a disabled or a static unit, not starting it.
Setting up libvulkan-dev:armhf (1.1.97-2) ...
Setting up freeglut3:armhf (2.8.1-3) ...
Setting up libqt5positioning5:armhf (5.11.3+dfsg-2) ...
Setting up libapr1:armhf (1.6.5-1) ...
Setting up libftdi1:armhf (0.20-4) ...
Setting up libqt5serialport5:armhf (5.11.3-2) ...
Setting up libncurses5:armhf (6.1+20181013-2+deb10u2) ...
Setting up libqt5bluetooth5-bin (5.11.3-2) ...
Setting up qt5-qmake-bin (5.11.3+dfsg1-1+rpi1+deb10u3) ...
Setting up ssl-cert (1.0.39) ...
Setting up libqt5qml5:armhf (5.11.3-4) ...
Setting up libqt5bluetooth5:armhf (5.11.3-2) ...
Setting up libhidapi-libusb0:armhf (0.8.0~rc1+git20140818.d17db57+dfsg-2) ...
Setting up libqt5webchannel5:armhf (5.11.3-2) ...
Setting up libtinyxml2.6.2v5:armhf (2.6.2-4) ...
Setting up liblua5.2-0:armhf (5.2.4-1.1+b1) ...
Setting up libjasper1:armhf (1.900.1-debian1-2.4+deb8u1) ...
Setting up libqt5opengl5:armhf (5.11.3+dfsg1-1+rpi1+deb10u3) ...
Setting up libmm-glib0:armhf (1.10.0-1) ...
Setting up libglx-dev:armhf (1.3.0-7~bpo10+1) ...
Setting up libglu1-mesa:armhf (9.0.0-2.1) ...
Setting up apache2-data (2.4.38-3+deb10u3) ...
Setting up cstemfolder (6.3.2) ...
Setting up libqt5sensors5:armhf (5.11.3-2) ...
Setting up libqt5test5:armhf (5.11.3+dfsg1-1+rpi1+deb10u3) ...
Setting up libqt5quick5:armhf (5.11.3-4) ...
Setting up libgl-dev:armhf (1.3.0-7~bpo10+1) ...
Setting up libmbim-glib4:armhf (1.18.0-1) ...
Setting up qtchooser (66-2) ...
Setting up libaprutil1:armhf (1.6.1-4) ...
Setting up avrdude (6.3-20171130+svn1429-2+rpt1) ...
Setting up qt5-qmake:armhf (5.11.3+dfsg1-1+rpi1+deb10u3) ...
Setting up libegl-dev:armhf (1.3.0-7~bpo10+1) ...
Setting up ch (8.0.5-0) ...
ln -s /usr/local/ch8.0 /usr/local/ch
Setting up chwiringpi (1.3.2-3) ...
Setting up geoclue-2.0 (2.5.2-1) ...
geoclue.service is a disabled or a static unit, not starting it.
Setting up libqt5webkit5:armhf (5.212.0~alpha2-21+rpi1) ...
Setting up libmbim-proxy (1.18.0-1) ...
Setting up libaprutil1-ldap:armhf (1.6.1-4) ...
Setting up libjasper-runtime (1.900.1-debian1-2.4+deb8u1) ...
Setting up chopencv (0.0.2-0) ...
Setting up libaprutil1-dbd-sqlite3:armhf (1.6.1-4) ...
Setting up qtbase5-dev-tools (5.11.3+dfsg1-1+rpi1+deb10u3) ...
Setting up libgles-dev:armhf (1.3.0-7~bpo10+1) ...
Setting up apache2-utils (2.4.38-3+deb10u3) ...
Setting up chsong (0.3.0) ...
Setting up libgles2-mesa-dev:armhf (19.3.2-1~bpo10+1~rpt1) ...
Setting up chmindstorms (1.1.2-0) ...
Setting up libqmi-glib5:armhf (1.22.0-1.2) ...
Setting up apache2-bin (2.4.38-3+deb10u3) ...
Setting up qtbase5-dev:armhf (5.11.3+dfsg1-1+rpi1+deb10u3) ...
Setting up qt5-default:armhf (5.11.3+dfsg1-1+rpi1+deb10u3) ...
Setting up chlinkbot (0.3.0) ...
Setting up libqt5opengl5-dev:armhf (5.11.3+dfsg1-1+rpi1+deb10u3) ...
Setting up apache2 (2.4.38-3+deb10u3) ...
Enabling module mpm_event.
Enabling module authz_core.
Enabling module authz_host.
Enabling module authn_core.
Enabling module auth_basic.
Enabling module access_compat.
Enabling module authn_file.
Enabling module authz_user.
Enabling module alias.
Enabling module dir.
Enabling module autoindex.
Enabling module env.
Enabling module mime.
Enabling module negotiation.
Enabling module setenvif.
Enabling module filter.
Enabling module deflate.
Enabling module status.
Enabling module reqtimeout.
Enabling conf charset.
Enabling conf localized-error-pages.
Enabling conf other-vhosts-access-log.
Enabling conf security.
Enabling conf serve-cgi-bin.
Enabling site 000-default.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/apache2.service â /lib/systemd/system/apache2.service.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/apache-htcacheclean.service â /lib/systemd/system/apache-htcacheclean.service.
Setting up chrobot (0.3.0) ...
Setting up libqmi-proxy (1.22.0-1.2) ...
Setting up charduino (0.8.0) ...
Setting up cstemstudio (6.5.0-0) ...
Setting up modemmanager (1.10.0-1) ...
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/dbus-org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.service â /lib/systemd/system/ModemManager.service.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/ModemManager.service â /lib/systemd/system/ModemManager.service.
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.62) ...
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.17-2) ...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.31.4-3) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.28-10+rpi1) ...
Processing triggers for systemd (241-7~deb10u4+rpi1) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.8.5-2) ...
Processing triggers for dbus (1.12.20-0+deb10u1) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.23-4) ...
Log ended: 2020-08-13  12:45:06
I am wondering if previously trying to retrieve from a 'Buster' branch has messed things up and you need to reset your sources.list and delete files in sources.list.d, need to run another apt-get update ?

W. H. Heydt

Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:48 pm

Some improvement... Got a response to my e-mail to info. They redid their Stembian pre-built OS package. It now passes an md5sum check and rpi-imager will write it to an SD card without throwing CRC errors. They didn't change the nominal build date (2020-01-28), so no idea *what* they did, or what they missed the first time.

Later today (when I have some time...almost lunch time and this afternoon I have to go pick up my grandson's books to start to school year on Monday) I will try booting it in a Pi3B+. (Since it claims to be built on Stretch, that *should* work. If not, I'll back off to a Pi3B.)

So...the saga continues.

Edit to add... The C-STEM website has been updated to state that the C-STEMbian download is based on Buster. And, as I can see on a running copy of it, that is correct.

Edit to add some more..."Stembian" is now running, headless, on a Pi3B+, so it is accessible over VNC links. I have a Pi4B2 on order that I will swap in when it gets here. In e-mail exchanges with somebody at UC Davis, I have volunteered to test the "Method B" install (adding the various components to a running system). At such time as that works without problems, I'll load those packages onto my grandson's Pi4B2 and drop the VNC-accessible system.

Return to “Off topic discussion”