woland

Raspberry PI 4 and wifi pineapple

Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:34 am

Hi guys, fist of all thanks for accepting me in this forum. Im a newbie here
I want to implement a wifi pineapple on a raspberry and Im on the phase of "research and buying things" so I need some help to avoid non-pleasant surprises before I waste money on something that wont work later on.
So my first doubts are:
1- Which raspberry pi should I buy to have 100% compatibility with the wifi pineapple project ?. I like this one but Im not sure if this release of OS and firmware will allow me to create the pineapple there:
https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B0895T ... p_hza?th=1

2- Which wifi interface should I buy to connect to the raspberry pi ?? I read about the chipsets (realtek and atheros) and I thought of buying the following one so if somebody could give some hints and confirm that it will work, I would really appreciate it:
https://www.amazon.es/Alfa-Network-AWUS ... MP1HK1C9RV

3- Which installation guides could you recommend ?? How many different softwares could y use to implement the pineapple wifi ? on which operating system ? I saw something called fruitywifi ... I dont know if an OS I should install debian ? or kali ??? centos ???

My second project with the rasp will be to change my home router for internet access provided by my crappy internet provider by a mikrotik. I will install on an sd card some linux flavor on the rasp and send the logs from the mikrotik to the rasp (so the rasp will be a kind of syslog server and l will try to install a siem there also). This project will be hold on the same rasp but on a different OS and sd card just in case both projects are not compatible. I will open another thread with this project... I think ...

Thanks!

bjtheone

Re: Raspberry PI 4 and wifi pineapple

Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:27 pm

While I am sure you could build something similar it looks like Hak5 is supplying a product, and a quick look around does not show any software builds that I can confirm will run on ARM.

Given the prices they are posting it might make more sense just to buy one rather than building an equivalent and try and cobble together the software. The home grown solution likely will cost you more and not be as well integrated. Of course the Pi will let you do other stuff.

Last time I played with pen testing in Linux, atheros chipsets had more functionality.

hippy

Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:37 pm

Plus, given the nature of what "WiFi Pineapple" is intended for, there may not be that many prepared to help you out unless you can provide a good legitimate reason for them to do so.

bjtheone

Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:28 pm

Not in an open forum when you are created a recipe howto....

woland

Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:57 pm

First of all Im a cyber-defense professional and appart from blue-team and SOC services we also provide red team an purple team services.
The first test will be with ourselves and once we have the procedure we will creat a bundle of services pentesting+hardening of their networks (password and encryption key change if theirs is not strong enough, dmz to separate guests from employees and also critial services from public services etc.., a network IPS on the wireless network, etc.. ).
We do not provide any kind of non-agreed service to anyone so every time we perform any kind of pentesting (white, gray or black) we sign a contract so the customer gives us permission depending on the clauses we agree and sign.
So no ilegal stuff here or similar ...

bjtheone

Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:15 pm

Not calling your credentials or motives into question, even through I can't validate them. My point was you are not going to get much traction with Linux folks posting pen testing (which looks a whole lot like network cracking) in an open forum. The info is out there.

If you are a cyber-defense professional and familiar with Linux you already know the key is getting NICs with atheros chipsets.

woland

Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:42 am

At the end the chipset that is providing the network monitor capabilities will be an alpha interface, not the rasp which is gonna be used just as a computer

https://www.amazon.es/Alfa-Network-AWUS ... MP1HK1C9RV

Even though I have made in the past some pentensting certification I never worked on pentesting but mainly in cyber-defense, and just nowadays we are thinking of providing some other services. I already mentioned that one of the purposes of buying the rasp is to install a SIEM there to monitor and detect the attacks

I can provide my linkedin profile (not in public, just in private message) to anyone that wants to certify that Im doing legit work, nothing ilegal.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:46 am

Private messaging has been turned off, for the protection of minors, as a legal requirement on this forum.

please don't post anything illegal on this forum.

woland

Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:41 pm

bjtheone wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:15 pm
Not calling your credentials or motives into question, even through I can't validate them. My point was you are not going to get much traction with Linux folks posting pen testing (which looks a whole lot like network cracking) in an open forum. The info is out there.

If you are a cyber-defense professional and familiar with Linux you already know the key is getting NICs with atheros chipsets.

What's wrong with pen testing and network cracking when there is a contract signed with a customer ? we, security professionals test this things every day and this is totally legal. We all can muy a knife in a supermarket because we are not meant to be criminals stabbing everyone we find in our way. That's the reason we can still buy knifes for legit usage nobody takes for granted we'll kill the hell out of the humanity.

Strange answer, the knowledgement is out there on the internet, what is this forum for then ? isnt is specialized in raspberry ? what for do we want this forum then if we have other sources ?? isnt it to share and help others ?

I dont understand the paranoia about not ilegal things in this forum.
Should we totally close this forum ?? the fact is that raspberry can be use for the good and for the bad in any aspect. Anyone can use a rasp to something evil or even to smash the head of somebody until dead.
Should we then report this forum to the police giving them the information that raspberry can be used for pen testing so that we can consider rasp as an ilegal tool just created for criminality and criminals ?

rpdom

Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:55 pm

woland wrote:
We all can muy a knife in a supermarket because we are not meant to be criminals stabbing everyone we find in our way.
Only if you are over 18 and you may need to prove your age.
Unreadable squiggle

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:35 pm

woland wrote:
what is this forum for then ? isnt is specialized in raspberry ? what for do we want this forum then if we have other sources ?? isnt it to share and help others ?
Yes, but not if by helping others you mean helping others to commit crimes.
All I'm saying don't publish anything here that we may become accountable for, as you say there are other places to do that. :twisted: :roll:

Heater

woland wrote:
What's wrong with pen testing and network cracking when there is a contract signed with a customer ? we, security professionals test this things every day and this is totally legal.
Perhaps nothing.

My feeling is that if you were actually a security professional with any experience of pen testing or computing in general, worthy of customers paying money for, then you would not be here asking the questions you did.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

woland

Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:08 pm

rpdom wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:55 pm
woland wrote:
We all can muy a knife in a supermarket because we are not meant to be criminals stabbing everyone we find in our way.
Only if you are over 18 and you may need to prove your age.
which kind of nonsense answer is this ?

woland

Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:10 pm

mahjongg wrote:
woland wrote:
what is this forum for then ? isnt is specialized in raspberry ? what for do we want this forum then if we have other sources ?? isnt it to share and help others ?
Yes, but not if by helping others you mean helping others to commit crimes.
All I'm saying don't publish anything here that we may become accountable for, as you say there are other places to do that. :twisted: :roll:
maybe you are the one thinking of commiting crimes so you might need a psychologist. When I see a screwdriver i never think of the ways to kill somebody with it and apparently you do

woland

Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:12 pm

Heater wrote:
woland wrote:
What's wrong with pen testing and network cracking when there is a contract signed with a customer ? we, security professionals test this things every day and this is totally legal.
Perhaps nothing.

My feeling is that if you were actually a security professional with any experience of pen testing or computing in general, worthy of customers paying money for, then you would not be here asking the questions you did.
looks like you dont even know how to read. As I said we work on cyber-defense which different to ofensive security and we are starting with different services. another brainless answer from a narrow iliterate minded

fruitoftheloom

Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:31 pm

woland wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:12 pm
Heater wrote:
woland wrote:
Perhaps nothing.

looks like you dont even know how to read. As I said we work on cyber-defense which different to ofensive security and we are starting with different services. another brainless answer from a narrow iliterate minded

In the 8 years of this forums life the Moderators have had to make hard choices and considering there are many many many minors who read this forum then certain subjects are off limits.

Also being aggressive in your responses is not helpful, after all the forum is run on an entirely voluntary basis, so maybe you would be better served by finding a Linux forum which is better suited to your end goal ??
Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

jdb
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:16 pm

After finding out what a "wifi pineapple" is, I'm locking this thread. It's a device for doing man-in-the-middle attacks against secured wireless networks.
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

timg236

Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:17 pm

Locked: It would be better to discuss this on the WiFi Pineapple websites.

Return to “General discussion”