Giga_Pi
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 am

Gnome For Pi: A script to make installing GNOME easier [BETA]

Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:09 pm

Hello everyone!

Today, I created a new script that should make installing GNOME on your Pi easier.

https://github.com/TerraGitHuB/gnomeforpi

Apart from confirming installation of GNOME packages, it is pretty much autonomous.

My full guide is here:

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=276512

To use the script:

Code: Select all

git clone https://github.com/TerraGitHuB/gnomeforpi.git
cd gnomeforpi
sudo bash install.sh
You will need to disable the animations yourself (working on it), and you'll also need to enable fakeKMS openGL driver in raspi-config, but everything else should be fine.

Once you get to the login screen, you'll need to change the session to "GNOME on Xorg"

This is my first bit of code I have ever published to the world. Enjoy!

Giga_Pi
Last edited by Giga_Pi on Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
GNOME for Pi

A project to get the popular GNOME desktop to run on Raspberry Pi OS.

Guide here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=276512

Pi4 4GB @1.95GHz with ubuntu 20.04

Giga_Pi
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 am

Re: Gnome For Pi: A script to make installing GNOME easier.

Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:04 am

Bump
GNOME for Pi

A project to get the popular GNOME desktop to run on Raspberry Pi OS.

Guide here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=276512

Pi4 4GB @1.95GHz with ubuntu 20.04

User avatar
kerry_s
Posts: 976
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:14 pm

Re: Gnome For Pi: A script to make installing GNOME easier.

Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:38 am

why are you bumping?
i suspect very few use gnome on there rpi4.
those that do can handle installing on there own.
i only install what i need & would never install the full gnome, just enough gnome to work.

anyways, right now for my rpi4 4gb i have grown fond of budgie.
a "lighdm budgie-desktop" install is bare bones & lets you select all your apps. of course just like gnome it has some quirks. you still have to do the "tsched=0" to fix pulse audio stutter & disable the dhcpd.service to get wifi. fix the sudo(polkit) verification so it don't ask for root password, etc...

but since your not confined to gnome apps, you can lighten the load. you can make it very light with "lxterminal, pcmanfm, mousepad" like raspbian but with a better overall gui.

this 1 i'm running now has "nemo, lxterminal, mousepad" for the main apps. nemo file manager is a fork of nautilus for cinnamon desktop. just trying it out.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2020-06-18 19-36-44.png
Screenshot from 2020-06-18 19-36-44.png (133.48 KiB) Viewed 674 times
Screenshot from 2020-06-18 19-28-31.png
Screenshot from 2020-06-18 19-28-31.png (147.81 KiB) Viewed 674 times

Giga_Pi
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 am

Re: Gnome For Pi: A script to make installing GNOME easier.

Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:01 am

kerry_s wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:38 am
why are you bumping?
i suspect very few use gnome on there rpi4.
those that do can handle installing on there own.
i only install what i need & would never install the full gnome, just enough gnome to work.

anyways, right now for my rpi4 4gb i have grown fond of budgie.
a "lighdm budgie-desktop" install is bare bones & lets you select all your apps. of course just like gnome it has some quirks. you still have to do the "tsched=0" to fix pulse audio stutter & disable the dhcpd.service to get wifi. fix the sudo(polkit) verification so it don't ask for root password, etc...

but since your not confined to gnome apps, you can lighten the load. you can make it very light with "lxterminal, pcmanfm, mousepad" like raspbian but with a better overall gui.

this 1 i'm running now has "nemo, lxterminal, mousepad" for the main apps. nemo file manager is a fork of nautilus for cinnamon desktop. just trying it out.
Sorry for bump.

I wanted to make installing GNOME desktop easier, and then I made the script.


If you look at the source code, it does more than just install: It also does some configuring too.
GNOME for Pi

A project to get the popular GNOME desktop to run on Raspberry Pi OS.

Guide here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=276512

Pi4 4GB @1.95GHz with ubuntu 20.04

User avatar
kerry_s
Posts: 976
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:14 pm

Re: Gnome For Pi: A script to make installing GNOME easier.

Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:44 am

yeah, i did look at it.
you can trim it down.

Code: Select all

apt-get install -y xorg gnome gnome-shell
to just

Code: Select all

apt install -y gnome-shell
it will pull in the rest. including the "chrome-gnome-shell" so you don't have to add that.

i'd recommend installing chromium

Code: Select all

apt install -y rpi-chromium-mods
for this, it's just locked to pi. people might add other users.
cp localauthority.conf /etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d/60-localauthority.conf
i create "/etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d/51-admin.conf" with this.

Code: Select all

[Configuration]
AdminIdentities=unix-group:sudo
mind you, i already have a lot of the gnome stuff installed, so my list is short. but you get the jest of it.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2020-06-18 21-41-54.png
Screenshot from 2020-06-18 21-41-54.png (114.56 KiB) Viewed 642 times

Giga_Pi
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 am

Re: Gnome For Pi: A script to make installing GNOME easier.

Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:55 am

kerry_s wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:44 am
yeah, i did look at it.
you can trim it down.

Code: Select all

apt-get install -y xorg gnome gnome-shell
to just

Code: Select all

apt install -y gnome-shell
it will pull in the rest. including the "chrome-gnome-shell" so you don't have to add that.

i'd recommend installing chromium

Code: Select all

apt install -y rpi-chromium-mods
for this, it's just locked to pi. people might add other users.
cp localauthority.conf /etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d/60-localauthority.conf
i create "/etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d/51-admin.conf" with this.

Code: Select all

[Configuration]
AdminIdentities=unix-group:sudo
mind you, i already have a lot of the gnome stuff installed, so my list is short. but you get the jest of it.
Thanks, I've commited some of those changes. I also added some audio fixes as well.
GNOME for Pi

A project to get the popular GNOME desktop to run on Raspberry Pi OS.

Guide here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=276512

Pi4 4GB @1.95GHz with ubuntu 20.04

User avatar
kerry_s
Posts: 976
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:14 pm

Re: Gnome For Pi: A script to make installing GNOME easier.

Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:10 am

combine all the "apt -y install" lines, no need to do it many times.
example:
apt install -y gnome-shell rpi-chromium-mods

you can "touch" & "echo" the file 51-admin.conf in the script, there's no need for a separate file to copy(cp)

same thing for the fixes you can search & replace in a file to fix that /etc/pulse/default.pa
(line #47 in my editor)
load-module module-udev-detect tsched=0

anyways, i'm sure it'll be useful to somebody who's to new to dive in. :D
good luck.

Giga_Pi
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 am

Re: Gnome For Pi: A script to make installing GNOME easier.

Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:18 am

kerry_s wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:10 am
combine all the "apt -y install" lines, no need to do it many times.
example:
apt install -y gnome-shell rpi-chromium-mods

you can "touch" & "echo" the file 51-admin.conf in the script, there's no need for a separate file to copy(cp)

same thing for the fixes you can search & replace in a file to fix that /etc/pulse/default.pa
(line #47 in my editor)
load-module module-udev-detect tsched=0

anyways, i'm sure it'll be useful to somebody who's to new to dive in. :D
good luck.
Thanks for your exceptional help once again!
GNOME for Pi

A project to get the popular GNOME desktop to run on Raspberry Pi OS.

Guide here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=276512

Pi4 4GB @1.95GHz with ubuntu 20.04

User avatar
kerry_s
Posts: 976
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:14 pm

Re: Gnome For Pi: A script to make installing GNOME easier.

Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:33 pm

i owe you an apology my friend. seems like somethings changed and some recommends no longer gets pulled in.
here's what i used for a minimum gnome install. hope it helps ya out.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
sudo apt update; sudo apt -y full-upgrade; sudo apt -y autoremove; sudo apt clean
sudo apt install -y gnome-session gnome-shell nautilus gedit gnome-terminal seahorse gnome-tweaks rpi-chromium-mods

sudo touch /etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d/51-admin.conf
sudo sh -c 'echo "[Configuration]" >> /etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d/51-admin.conf'
sudo sh -c 'echo "AdminIdentities=unix-group:sudo;unix-group:admin" >> /etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d/51-admin.conf'

sudo sed -i 's/load-module module-udev-detect/load-module module-udev-detect tsched=0/g' /etc/pulse/default.pa

sudo systemctl disable dhcpcd.service

sudo reboot

exit 0
[code]
Attachments
Screenshot from 2020-06-20 03-28-12.resized.png
Screenshot from 2020-06-20 03-28-12.resized.png (153.88 KiB) Viewed 534 times

User avatar
kerry_s
Posts: 976
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:14 pm

Re: Gnome For Pi: A script to make installing GNOME easier.

Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:38 pm

You will need to disable the animations yourself (working on it), and you'll also need to enable fakeKMS openGL driver in raspi-config, but everything else should be fine.
the command to disable animation is:

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface enable-animations false
kms is enabled by default so no need to worry about that.

also i was thinking, maybe add the "New File" in templates. i still can't understand why that has to be done manually. :?

Code: Select all

touch /home/pi/Templates/"New File"

User avatar
kerry_s
Posts: 976
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:14 pm

Re: Gnome For Pi: A script to make installing GNOME easier.

Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:07 am

looks like any settings for the user(pi) can't be made till after log in.
so:

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface enable-animations false
touch /home/pi/Templates/"New File"
this is useless in the script. :(
i'll look for a work around later.

Giga_Pi
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 am

Re: Gnome For Pi: A script to make installing GNOME easier.

Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:31 am

kerry_s wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:07 am
looks like any settings for the user(pi) can't be made till after log in.
so:

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface enable-animations false
touch /home/pi/Templates/"New File"
this is useless in the script. :(
i'll look for a work around later.
Thanks. Sorry, I thought this thread had died long ago.

Ok. Time to review. I wondering how on earth they got desktopify to work for ubuntu. Looking at it soon.
GNOME for Pi

A project to get the popular GNOME desktop to run on Raspberry Pi OS.

Guide here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=276512

Pi4 4GB @1.95GHz with ubuntu 20.04

Giga_Pi
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 am

Re: Gnome For Pi: A script to make installing GNOME easier.

Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:35 am

kerry_s wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:07 am
looks like any settings for the user(pi) can't be made till after log in.
so:

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface enable-animations false
touch /home/pi/Templates/"New File"
this is useless in the script. :(
i'll look for a work around later.
I'm just going to shoot this idea at you: Could create a script that does this on login, that then destroys itself?
GNOME for Pi

A project to get the popular GNOME desktop to run on Raspberry Pi OS.

Guide here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=276512

Pi4 4GB @1.95GHz with ubuntu 20.04

User avatar
kerry_s
Posts: 976
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:14 pm

Re: Gnome For Pi: A script to make installing GNOME easier.

Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:50 am

they just using a bash script.
https://github.com/wimpysworld/desktopi ... desktopify

you can script a 1 time run script.

sorry under the weather today, eyes to blurry to see.

Giga_Pi
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 am

Re: Gnome For Pi: A script to make installing GNOME easier.

Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:32 am

I've added an argument for GNOME with a limited amount of packages (-l/--lite)

I may have fixed audiio issues, but not sure.
GNOME for Pi

A project to get the popular GNOME desktop to run on Raspberry Pi OS.

Guide here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=276512

Pi4 4GB @1.95GHz with ubuntu 20.04

Giga_Pi
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 am

Re: Gnome For Pi: A script to make installing GNOME easier [BETA]

Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:36 am

There is now a Beta and stable branch to Gnome For Pi
GNOME for Pi

A project to get the popular GNOME desktop to run on Raspberry Pi OS.

Guide here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=276512

Pi4 4GB @1.95GHz with ubuntu 20.04

Return to “General discussion”