hex007
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:22 pm

Source code for Bookshelf application ?

Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:32 pm

I am interested in using the Bookshelf application on another Distro to read the Pi magazines . Where can I find the source code to compile it ?

DirkS
Posts: 10389
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: Source code for Bookshelf application ?

Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:55 pm

AFAICT it's not (yet) available on the RPF/RPT github repos.
You can download the source with 'apt source' (after un-commenting the appropriate line in sources.list).
Or download the current version directly: http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/p ... 0.4.tar.xz

trejan
Posts: 2327
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:28 pm

Re: Source code for Bookshelf application ?

Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:29 pm

DirkS wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:55 pm
AFAICT it's not (yet) available on the RPF/RPT github repos.
You can download the source with 'apt source' (after un-commenting the appropriate line in sources.list).
Or download the current version directly: http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/p ... 0.4.tar.xz
We apparently can't rely on anything to be public or stay public in the GitHub repos. I opened an issue about the bookshelf and piwiz repos being private and was told "Our GitHub repos are frequently made private, for various reasons. Source code is always available by the recommended method, which is via apt source." then the issue was closed.

Whoever maintains the bookshelf app should fix the copy_file function as they're ignoring the function arguments and using the filename globals directly instead.

hex007
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:22 pm

Re: Source code for Bookshelf application ?

Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:32 pm

DirkS wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:55 pm
AFAICT it's not (yet) available on the RPF/RPT github repos.
You can download the source with 'apt source' (after un-commenting the appropriate line in sources.list).
Or download the current version directly: http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/p ... 0.4.tar.xz
Thanks

It sucks that repo is not available publicly

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 26842
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Source code for Bookshelf application ?

Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:55 am

trejan wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:29 pm
DirkS wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:55 pm
AFAICT it's not (yet) available on the RPF/RPT github repos.
You can download the source with 'apt source' (after un-commenting the appropriate line in sources.list).
Or download the current version directly: http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/p ... 0.4.tar.xz
We apparently can't rely on anything to be public or stay public in the GitHub repos. I opened an issue about the bookshelf and piwiz repos being private and was told "Our GitHub repos are frequently made private, for various reasons. Source code is always available by the recommended method, which is via apt source." then the issue was closed.

Whoever maintains the bookshelf app should fix the copy_file function as they're ignoring the function arguments and using the filename globals directly instead.
I'll pass the report on.

We sometimes makes repos private if they contain pre release work that may give away future product releases. Source code for released product is always available via apt.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

User avatar
rpdom
Posts: 17424
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am
Location: Chelmsford, Essex, UK

Re: Source code for Bookshelf application ?

Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:00 am

jamesh wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:55 am
We sometimes makes repos private if they contain pre release work that may give away future product releases.
That's interesting. Possibly, by analysis of which repos are private, people could speculate about what those future product releases could be.

Less convenient , but safer to have two sets of repos. One for general public access and one private one for future developments. True, that would mean more work and hassle when synchronising the two.
Unreadable squiggle

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 26842
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Source code for Bookshelf application ?

Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:04 am

rpdom wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:00 am
jamesh wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:55 am
We sometimes makes repos private if they contain pre release work that may give away future product releases.
That's interesting. Possibly, by analysis of which repos are private, people could speculate about what those future product releases could be.

Less convenient , but safer to have two sets of repos. One for general public access and one private one for future developments. True, that would mean more work and hassle when synchronising the two.
We are a very small team, so take shortcuts when we can!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

spl23
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 403
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:02 am

Re: Source code for Bookshelf application ?

Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:12 am

rpdom wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:00 am
That's interesting. Possibly, by analysis of which repos are private, people could speculate about what those future product releases could be.
Don't tempt me to just make all the repos private all the time... ;)

User avatar
rpdom
Posts: 17424
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am
Location: Chelmsford, Essex, UK

Re: Source code for Bookshelf application ?

Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:17 am

jamesh wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:04 am
We are a very small team, so take shortcuts when we can!
Completely understood.

I have mostly worked in small teams, varying from 1.1 to 8 people. The 1.1 being me (Technical Manager at the time) and a part time contractor who I had to oversee.
Unreadable squiggle

User avatar
rpdom
Posts: 17424
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am
Location: Chelmsford, Essex, UK

Re: Source code for Bookshelf application ?

Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:19 am

spl23 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:12 am
rpdom wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:00 am
That's interesting. Possibly, by analysis of which repos are private, people could speculate about what those future product releases could be.
Don't tempt me to just make all the repos private all the time... ;)
Or just make random ones private - even invent some new (empty) ones with inventive names and make those private too - just to make the speculation go in the wrong direction. :lol:
Unreadable squiggle

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 9254
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:27 am
Location: ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, aka just outside Cambridge.

Re: Source code for Bookshelf application ?

Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:33 am

rpdom wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:19 am
Or just make random ones private - even invent some new (empty) ones with inventive names and make those private too - just to make the speculation go in the wrong direction. :lol:
Private repos shouldn't be visible to anyone not on the collaborators list, so how could you speculate about the presence or not of something in a private repo?
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

User avatar
rpdom
Posts: 17424
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am
Location: Chelmsford, Essex, UK

Re: Source code for Bookshelf application ?

Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:53 am

6by9 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:33 am
rpdom wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:19 am
Or just make random ones private - even invent some new (empty) ones with inventive names and make those private too - just to make the speculation go in the wrong direction. :lol:
Private repos shouldn't be visible to anyone not on the collaborators list, so how could you speculate about the presence or not of something in a private repo?
That's true.

The only way anyone would know about them is if they were previously public, then made private, or someone announced their presence.

BTW, I'm not being serious about most of this, Just a bit of light contemplation.

Personally I'm quite happy to wait to see what is officially released in future.
Unreadable squiggle

User avatar
bensimmo
Posts: 4723
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:02 pm
Location: East Yorkshire

Re: Source code for Bookshelf application ?

Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:17 am

it doesn't exactly need GitHub vanishing acts to make people round here speculate :lol:

I don't know the full workings of GitHub, but when you clone or branch the repo to add new stuff to it, can't that clone or branch be made private? And then when you merge to make it final at release is all that is needed.
or is it not that flexible.

spl23
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 403
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:02 am

Re: Source code for Bookshelf application ?

Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:29 am

bensimmo wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:17 am
I don't know the full workings of GitHub, but when you clone or branch the repo to add new stuff to it, can't that clone or branch be made private? And then when you merge to make it final at release is all that is needed.
or is it not that flexible.
Unfortunately not - you can only make things private or public on a per-repo basis, not a per-branch basis. Which is a pain, because it would indeed be the best solution to this!

User avatar
bensimmo
Posts: 4723
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:02 pm
Location: East Yorkshire

Re: Source code for Bookshelf application ?

Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:00 am

ah, that's a shame.
It certainly would be easier.

Return to “General discussion”